2D movement velocity from an initial degree?

Started by
1 comment, last by SikCiv 24 years, 1 month ago
My 2D platformer has things that can shoot in ANY direction, i.e. 360 degrees. Every buttet has its own struct as follows... typedef struct bullet { float XPos, YPos;(move by XVel and YVel) float XVel, YVel;(stay the same after shooting) float shootVel;(Num of pixels the bullet moves every 10ms) etc.. } The bullets'' position needs to be updated every 10ms by a constant velocity of 6.0f pixels (the shootVel) in any direction. What I need is a way to convert the degree of the initial shooting to the buttets'' x and y velocities. My code is as follows.. at every 10ms { bullet.XPos += bullet.XVel; bullet.YPos += bullet.YVel; bullet->blit(); } So if i shoot at a degree of 70, the xvel would be about 5.7f and the yvel would be about .04f. Or if I shoot at 180 (straight down), XVel = 0, YVel = 6.0f. How do I calculate the required velocities mathematically?

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

Advertisement
Radians = Degrees * Pi / 180.0;
Velocity.X = Speed * cos(Radians);
Velocity.Y = Speed * -sin(Radians);

That''s the algorithm if 0 degrees is right and 90 degrees is up.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Simple trigonometry. But 180 degrees on the unit circle doesnt point down, it points to the left.

bullet.XVel = bullet.shootVel * cos(angle)
bullet.YVel = bullet.shootVel * sin(angle)

note that this is pseudocode; in real code, cos() takes radians not degrees, but converting between the two is trivial.

xvel = 6 * cos(70)
xvel = 6 * 0.342
xvel = 2.052

yvel = 6 * sin(70)
yvel = 6 * 0.939
yvel = 5.634

so in that frame, your bullet moves 2 pixels right and 6 pixels up

oops, I forgot that you need to compensate for the inversed y direction on the monitor by using -sin() instead of just sin()

Edited by - foofightr on 3/22/00 12:50:38 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement