Help With a Game I'm Making

Started by
8 comments, last by bert2 21 years, 9 months ago
I''m making a game where you fight the computer. But it didn''t work and I can''t find out what''s wrong. Here''s the code.

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
    //Varibles

int enemyHP=100, enemyPower=200, yourHP=100, yourPower=200, yourCommand, enemyCommand;

//Begin ''while'' command

while (yourHP < 0 || enemyHP < 0)
  {

//Your turn to attack or defend

cout << "Enter 1 to Attack \n Enter 2 to Defend \n";
    cin >> yourCommand;

//Processes command

//Command to attack

if (yourCommand == 1)
    {
            if (yourPower < 15)
                    {
                    cout << "You do not have enough Power Points to Attack \n";
                    }

enemyHP = enemyHP - 15;
        yourPower = yourPower - 5;
        yourPower = yourPower + 3;

cout << "You have done 15HP of damage to your opponent and you lost 5 Power Points attacking. But you also gained 3 Power Points during this turn. \n";
    }

//Command to defend

if (yourCommand == 2)
    {
            if (yourPower < 5)
                    {
                    cout << "You do not have enough Power Points to Defend \n";
                    }

yourHP = yourHP + 10;                                
        yourPower = yourPower + 10;

cout << "By defending you have gained 10 Power Points. And you have also gained 10HP. \n";
    }

//Enemy''s turn to attack or defend

// Command: If hits are more than 20 then attack

if (enemyHP > 20)
        {
                enemyCommand = 1;
        }

// Command: If hits are less than 20 then defend

if (enemyHP < 20)
        {
                enemyCommand = 2;
        }

//Processes command

if (enemyCommand == 1)
    {
        yourHP = yourHP - 15;
        enemyPower = enemyPower - 5;
        enemyPower = enemyPower + 3; 

cout << "Your opponent has taken 15HP from you. \n";
    }

if (enemyCommand == 2)
    {
        enemyHP = enemyHP + 10;                                
        enemyPower = enemyPower + 10;

cout << "Since you opponent has decided to defend he gains 10 Power Points and 10HP.";
    }

//End ''while'' command

}

if (yourHP < 0)
    {
        cout << "You lost";
    }

if (enemyHP < 0)
    {
        cout << "You won";
    }

int x;
cin >> x;
return 0;
}

Hi everyone!
Advertisement
It helps if you can be more specific than "it didn''t work." What exactly does it do, and how does that differ from what it is supposed to do?

That said, I noticed this line:
while (yourHP < 0 || enemyHP < 0)

Since both yourHP and enemyHP start out at 100, the while loop is never entered.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Well it should be

while ((yourHP > 0 && enemyHP > 0)

the way you have it now. the program won''t run because your energy is at 100, and you''re telling it to enter the loop when it''s below 0.

hope it helped.
if i''m wrong please tell us why.
i''m a beginner.

Knowledge is what you learn, wisdom is how you apply it.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Nothing appears on the screen. Anyways. I changed the "while" to
----
while (yourHP > 0 && enemyHP > 0)
----

ANOTHER QUESTION:
How do I make it so the program randomly picks a varible.

For example, let's say there is a varible called "int test". And I want to asign it the value of either "1" or "2". How do I do that?

[edited by - bert2 on July 9, 2002 7:38:34 PM]
Hi everyone!
firstly, initialize the random number generator using the srand() function. The best way to do so is to use the time() function, like so:

srand((unsigned int)time(0));

then, when you want a random number, you use the rand() function. Because it returns a number between 0 and RAND_MAX (a very large number), and you want to ''clip'' it to one of two possible values, you do it like this:

(rand()%2)+1

rand()%2 will always evaluate to either 0 (if rand() is even) or 1 (if rand() is odd). So you add 1 to get your 1 or 2.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Ummmm... Can you tell me how to write that? Also, how to I assign the random number to a varible?
Hi everyone!
quote:Original post by bert2
I''m making a game where you fight the computer.

The compiler recognized you were attacking it and told its big brother WiNdOzE not to go along with it.

I''m not quite sure if you meant that as a joke or if you really meant it and you were trying to explain to me why my program didn''t work before.
Hi everyone!
I have taken your code and made a few changes. If I were writing this, this is how I would do it.

#include <iostream>#include <ctime>#include <conio.h>using namespace std;int main(){    	//Varibles    	int enemyHP=100, enemyPower=200, yourHP=100, yourPower=200, yourCommand, enemyCommand;    		//Initialize random seed	srand((unsigned int)time(0));	//Begin 'while' command	while (yourHP > 0 && enemyHP > 0)  	{    		cout << "Your HitPoints: " << yourHP << " / " << "Enemy HitPoints " << enemyHP << endl << endl;		//Your turn to attack or defend    		cout << "Enter 1 to Attack" << endl << "Enter 2 to Defend" << endl << "Enter 3 to Quit" << endl << endl;    		cin >> yourCommand;        		//Processes command    		//Command to attack    		if (yourCommand == 1)    		{            			if (yourPower < 15)                    			{                    				cout << "You do not have enough Power Points to Attack \n";			}                            			else			{				enemyHP = enemyHP - 15;        				yourPower = yourPower - 5;        				yourPower = yourPower + 3;                				cout << "You have done 15HP of damage to your opponent and you lost 5 Power Points attacking. But you also gained 3 Power Points during this turn. \n";    			}		}       		//Command to defend    		if (yourCommand == 2)    		{            			if (yourPower < 5)                    			{                    				cout << "You do not have enough Power Points to Defend \n";			}                			else			{				yourHP = yourHP + 10;				yourPower = yourPower + 10;				cout << "By defending you have gained 10 Power Points. And you have also gained 10HP. \n";    			}		}        		if (yourCommand == 3)		{			cout << "You have quit the battle." << endl;			break;		}		//Enemy's turn to attack or defend    		// Command: If hits are more than 20 then attack    		enemyCommand = ((rand()%2)+1);				//Processes command    		if (enemyCommand == 1)    		{        			yourHP = yourHP - 15;			enemyPower = enemyPower - 5;        			enemyPower = enemyPower + 3;                 			cout << "Your opponent has taken 15HP from you. \n";    		}        		if (enemyCommand == 2)    		{        			enemyHP = enemyHP + 10;			enemyPower = enemyPower + 10;			cout << "Since you opponent has decided to defend he gains 10 Power Points and 10HP.";		}            		//End 'while' command  		cout << endl << endl;			}        		cout << "FINAL SCORE" << endl;	cout << "Your HitPoints: " << yourHP << " / " << "Enemy HitPoints " << enemyHP << endl << endl;			if (yourHP <= 0)    	{        		cout << "You lost" << endl;    	}        	if (enemyHP <= 0)    	{        		cout << "You won" << endl;    	}	//Wait for enter to quit        cout << "Press enter to quit." << endl;        getch();	return 0;}          

Like I said, this is just how I would do it.
-Stick

[edited by - scubastick on July 10, 2002 2:11:43 PM]
If you don''t decide to work with scubastick''s code then be sure you note this important change:

Your code:

if (yourHP < 0)    {        cout << "You lost";    }    if (enemyHP < 0)    {        cout << "You won";    }  

His code:

if (yourHP <= 0)    {        cout << "You lost" << endl;    }    if (enemyHP <= 0)    {	cout << "You won" << endl;    }  

This almost definitely why you do not know who has won at the end of your program (think about it).
______________________________________________________________________________________The Phoenix shall arise from the ashes... ThunderHawk -- ¦þ"So. Any n00bs need some pointers? I have a std::vector<n00b*> right here..." - ZahlmanMySite | Forum FAQ | File Formats______________________________________________________________________________________

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement