What is your first game?

Started by
170 comments, last by nicho_tedja 20 years, 8 months ago
Hey guys, just out of curiosity, what is your first game and when did you do it (at what age) and what language did you use? What I mean by the first game is a fully workable and playable game. You completed it not abandoned it. I did a Monopoly clone when I was 16 using VB. My compiler generates one error message: "Doesn''t compile." -Albert Tedja-
My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."
Advertisement
break out, 14, QBASIC
something like 17yrs old

side scrolling ascii game like the old Atari game Defender. you are a spaceship, an endless stream of baddies comes out of the right side of the screen and you shoot them with lasers or a limited # of bombs.

-me
Master Mind, 13, C++

I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links... I will not make a list of links...
Invader''s Realm
Orbix, using Mode 13h, C++. Orbix is where you try to take the most of the board. You do this by placing your piece on the board. If you have a piece on one end, and your opponment have some pieces in that line, and you place your piece on the other end of the line, you take control of his pieces. Really simple. Now for my first Windows game, Asteroids clone

Edit: I'm stupid, forgot to add that I made Orbix when I was 16.

[edited by - Zeraan on July 11, 2002 4:59:08 PM]
Around 12 or 13, can''t remember. I did Pong in C++.
I just finished a Pong clone using C++ and OpenGL. I am 17 years old.
Grade 11, C++, A clone of Asteroids(?) (The game where you shoot the falling circles from the ground with a limited amount of shots). 4-bit color, in Turbo C++.
I did a (bad) text RPG on my Amstrad 464 in BASIC when i was 13.

Graphically-wise, when i was 16 i did half of a Tetris game in DirectDraw 6 in C, and then DD7 came out so i converted a load of code and finished it off. Soon after that i did a "C with classes" (i was just starting C++ ) version of Tetris in OpenGL - trying to find out which API i was more comfortable with.

I am now 19 and am close to finishing my first non-trival 3D project in OpenGL It only took 6 years

This thread is destined to become pretty big... generally programmers like to boast at what age they started coding (including me ).
In 1979, when I was 11, my friend got a new Vic 20 for Christmas. He and I programmed what we called a ''dogfight game'' on it (Basic was the language, of course). In a nutshell, the we had ''sights'' in the center of the TV (yes, ''TV''...early home computers were hooked to them for display back then you young whippersnappers), and a small square would display at a random location. Using the keyboard, you ''flew'' the square toward the sights (we had logic that didn''t make it easy, it had random speed and direction changes). When the bogey was in the sights, you hit the space bar which sent a barrage of bullets to destroy the enemy! Man, we thought that was the coolest! If only I''d stuck with game development in my formative years...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement