[java] Swing; java2d+3d

Started by
4 comments, last by eqs 24 years ago
I started learning java 1.1 a while back. Ive heard all about these 3 things (swing, java2d+3d), but dont know what they are. Has anyone got a quick explination of what each does and how good it is? Are they basically more ''premade'' classes like java.awt or java.applet that just provide another way of doing things? Or are they like a DirectX for Java? As you can see i have no idea, so i thought before i go spend $$ on books i could find out what they did. PEACE GAZZ ##It is better for a fool to keep ones mouth shut, then to open it and erase all doubt.## I think i talk to much.
Advertisement
Why don''t you move directly to 1.2.? or 1.3? I see no point in learning older versions. 1.2 has better swing anyway(faster), although still very unoptimized... I''m haven used 1.1.? but I think it doesn''t have 2d added in? Am I wronG?

Time comes, time goes and I only am.
I have the 1.2 version installed, but my book is 1.1. I just wanted to know what swing was as well as Java2d and 3d. So i know if i need to buy books or not.

PEACE
GAZZ
Almost every Java 2 book tells about Swing, but not so many tells about Java2D or 3D.

Here is description of Swing:
Project Swing is the part of the JavaTM Foundation Classes (JFC) software that implements a new set of GUI components with a pluggable look and feel. Project Swing is implemented entirely in the Java programming language, and is based on the JDKTM 1.1 Lightweight UI Framework. The pluggable look and feel lets you design a single set of GUI components that can automatically have the look and feel of any OS platform (Microsoft Windows, SolarisTM, Macintosh). Project Swing components include both 100% Pure JavaTM certified versions of the existing AWT component set (Button, Scrollbar, Label, etc.), plus a rich set of higher-level components (such as tree view, list box, and tabbed panes).

I suggest you to get JDK documentation and look there all you need to know about Swing, Swing is very similar to Awt(Components) Also JDK docs are good place to look for all new things like 2D or whatever you want...

Time comes, time goes and I only am.
You can actually check out our FAQ! Yes, we have the answer to what Java 3D is on our FAQ.

The FAQ is only a rough draft of and idea we started in another post. Don''t expect to much as this point.

http://games.cpbinc.com/faq/

Swing is what archon said. Plus all JComponents extend java.awt.Container which extend java.awt.Component

Java 2D is basically encapsulated in the Graphics2D class which extends java.awt.Graphics. It''s main selling point is it''s ability to paint graphic primatives, ovals, quadrilaterals, fonts, and so on, with various strokes, paints, and color gradients.

Java 3D is a set of classes that help you create polygonal 3D effects using a pure java solution. I don''t know much more about it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement