Dev-c++ or Ms-visual c++?

Started by
8 comments, last by highspeeday 21 years, 8 months ago
Hi! I''m totally new to c++ and I''d like some info about compilers, libraries and DE''s... The only language I have really worked with is BASIC. Thanx for your time. 1. What is the difference between Dev-c++ and Ms-visual c++? Just tell me anything I might understand. 2. What would happen to be the best c++ compiler for windows platform? Currently I have Borland c++ compiler 5.5... 3. Which libraries should I necessarily get for building a game(2d)? -Thanx
Advertisement
1) MSVC++ is better to do projects, Dev-CPP is better to learn C++.
2) Look at answer 1. They are both perfect for windows.
3) DirectX, for MSVC++ you can get it here.
For Dev-Cpp, here.

Hang around this forum to learn more about other graphics API's.
And maybe you wanna take a look at SDL

[edit] I dont think OGL is good to start with.
I dont think its good to start with graphics anyway.
If you're asking for a compiler, I bet you dont know the basics of Cpp-programming yet. So learn C++ first .

[edited by - pipo declown on August 9, 2002 7:35:50 AM]
The first (and probably the most important) difference between Dev-C++ and Microsoft VC++ is the price: Dev-C++ is free, but VC++ is very expensive (I''m French, I don''t know exactely the prices in other countries)...
BUT DirectX, the main library to create game (as 2D game), was designed for VC++, and it''s hard to make it work on other platfomrs (that''s possible with Borland, but not with Dev-C++ I think)
If you don''t want to use VC++ and DirectX to make your game, you can use another library: OpenGL. It''s free, and it works with Dev-C++...
Good luck!
ooh, you come from Finland, so the prices for VC++ in Euros: from about 120 Euros (Standard edition) to *WAHOU* too expensive..
With the standard edition, you can''t sell (or even release, but I''m not sure) the games or programs you will make...
Thank you both!!!!
This was exactly what I was looking for... By the way I have Ms-visual-c++ 6.0 :Introductory edition...that is...
Anyway... how limited is it?
If you''re still at school or at university, you can get yourself the "Study edition" or something like that of Visual Studio. Cost''s about the same as the VC++ standard edition, but contains the full visual studio professional. Erm, no, its cheaper as the standard edition (at least in switzerland), just looked at the catologue of some Swiss computershop, 100SFr. that''s about 75 Euro.
[My Lousy Page | Kings Of Chaos | Vampires | [email=lordlethis@hotmail.com]email.me[/email]]
quote:Original post by HiddenInBSP
ooh, you come from Finland, so the prices for VC++ in Euros: from about 120 Euros (Standard edition) to *WAHOU* too expensive..
With the standard edition, you can''t sell (or even release, but I''m not sure) the games or programs you will make...

Yes you can. It is only the learning edition that you cannot distribute stuff with.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"I’m happy to share what I can, because I’m in it for the love of programming. The Ferraris are just gravy, honest!" --John Carmack: Forward to Graphics Programming Black Book
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
quote:Original post by HiddenInBSP
BUT DirectX, the main library to create game (as 2D game), was designed for VC++, and it''s hard to make it work on other platfomrs (that''s possible with Borland, but not with Dev-C++ I think)

If I can compile application with DirectX in Linux with GCC and MinGW (what Dev-C++ uses), then you can certainly do the same in Windows. There are libraries and headers here, if you''re interested. BTW, If anyone wants to know what I was doing with DirectX in *nix: I was compiling OpenAL libraries for Windows (I don''t suggest you try it, the OpenAL Windows code seems to be non-portable on purpose ).

How did you get DX to work in *nix? It should be impossible(unless your using wine).

Oh here''s a great libary for doing graphics(as well as input and sound)

SDL

The windows version uses DX but it''s compatible with many other platforms
quote:Original post by Monder
How did you get DX to work in *nix? It should be impossible(unless your using wine).

I''m only compiling libraries that use DirectX, I''m not running applications that use DirectX (notice that I said ''compile'' and ''cross compiling'').

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement