• Create Account

MP3-Beating Compression

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
495 replies to this topic

#1 kieren_j   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 06 April 2000 - 07:58 AM

You probably don''t believe me, but if you''re at all interested in my new "CAR" compression alogrithm, check this out: The strange thing is, it works better on compressed files! Zipping an MP3 file gives you 99% of original, but check this out! **** TESTS ON UNCOMPRESSED FILES **** TXT File Example TXT File: 1,318,671 Savings: 1,308,940 CAR File: 9,731 Percent: 0.7% WAV File Example WAV File: 8,362,354 Savings: 8,323,477 CAR File: 38,877 Percent: 0.5% EXE File Example EXE File: 216,064 Savings: 213,336 CAR File: 2,728 Percent: 1.3% **** TESTS ON ALREADY-COMPRESSED FILES **** MP3 File Example MP3 File: 4,961,773 Savings: 4,945,669 CAR File: 16,104 Percent: 0.3% MPG File Example MPG File: 5,976,068 Savings: 5,946,909 CAR File: 29,159 Percent: 0.5% If you didn''t see it first time, I compressed an MP3 file from 5 meg to 16kb. What CAR actually does is obviously a complete secret, but I''m really really excited about it! I''ve been thinking of how to do it for years - but now, yay! (I figured it out playing around in QB, of all things!). What I want to know is basically are there any sites that are relatively easy to understand that tell you how to do:
  • Huffman Compression
  • LZW Compression
  • "Textbook" RLE Compression (I only know PCX''s RLE) I know that you use binary trees and nodes and so on but I have no idea for a software implementation! Anyways you probably don''t believe me, but I just wanna try to make the compression better. Thanks from a very very excited Kieren Johnstone --------------- kieren_j

• Sponsor:

#2 Staffan   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 April 2000 - 08:13 AM

It''s a bit late for april fools jokes now...please...

"Paranoia is the belief in a hidden order behind the visible." - Anonymous

#3 kieren_j   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 06 April 2000 - 08:23 AM

Hey, I''m not kidding; but I can understand if you don''t believe me.
    But I''m not interested in if you believe me or not...where can I find those alogrithm sites?

thanx

---------------
    kieren_j

#4 blackspy   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 April 2000 - 08:33 AM

I dare you to post that same original message on a compression newsgroup...

#5 Gromit   Members   -  Reputation: 144

Posted 06 April 2000 - 08:35 AM

Why would you need information on those algorithms if your is so much better. After all, 5 megs of already compressed data to 16k would make you the richest person in the world.

I can reduce a 5 meg file to 16k as well... cut out everything except 16k.

#6 kieren_j   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 06 April 2000 - 08:48 AM

Hehe - I need another form of compression because I only got those filesizes after compressing the CAR files with winzip; at the moment, the CAR process just makes the file vunerable to extreme compression (i.e. from 0.1% compression to 102% compression).
    Yeah - at the mo, this is basically what happens:

Original File: 100mb
    CAR File: 100mb
    ZIPped Original: 99mb
    ZIPped CAR: 3 bytes

Can you see what I''m getting at?
    I just need to implement my own secondard compression.
    And Gromit - it''s not lossy. It doesn''t use binary trees either. Or nodes, run-lengths, DCTs, PCMs, or anything that you''ve ever seen before...it''s really cool and once you''ve discovered it you think "why didn''t I think of that before" - then again I just have.

har har har

so...any sites?
    thanx

---------------
    kieren_j

#7 Pythius   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 April 2000 - 08:56 AM

kieren_j, what''s your history? How did you figure this out? How many years have you been studying the algorithm? Is there any solid proof you can give anyone? If there is, take it directly to the patent office. Everyone will then know your method, but your implementation will be protected by law. By the way, what does CAR stand for?

Pythius

BTW, I personally think you''re lying. Just for the record.

#8 kieren_j   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 06 April 2000 - 09:01 AM

My history is now secret...
    I developed the alogrithm into code about half an hour ago in about 20 mins...I''ve been thinking about it for about a week.
    Solid proof? Hehe not for PD yet m8!
    Patent? Hey I only did the thing a damn hour ago!
    CAR stands for....compression alogrithm routine (he he i''ve only had 30 minutes!)
    The best thing is I''m not kidding!

hehe any sites yet?

BTW, just for the record, I don''t care if you think I''m lying!

---------------
    kieren_j

#9 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 06 April 2000 - 09:04 AM

Here''s why I think you''re a liar trying to be funny:

quote:
    Original post by kieren_j

at the moment, the CAR process just makes the file vunerable to extreme compression (i.e. from 0.1% compression to 102% compression).
    ---------------
    kieren_j

How the heck do you get 102% compression. Simple impossiblity there. You cannot achieve such compression without actually freeing space from your disk. If you''ve found a way to gain space on your drive''s total capacity with your compression, well, you''d better hide from every hardware manufacturer in the world.

Please, please don''t disgrace this message board with any more of your crap.

Pythius

#10 kieren_j   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 06 April 2000 - 09:33 AM

Heh you take things too seriously; of course you can''t get 102% ! I''m just emphasizing! I''m on a high here, I''ve just got a good compression alogrithm!
    Besides, as I keep on saying, I''m not interested in whether you believe me or not (I know it works) but I''m asking for advice to remove the step of having to use WinZip on the files!
    I don''t like people calling me crap either, what have I done to insult you??!

Hmmm...
    Anybody else (perhaps a bit nicer) got any sites for me?

Kieren

---------------
    kieren_j

#11 mchambers   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 April 2000 - 09:34 AM

I, *TOO*, have been able to achieve PROOF that the CAR compression system works.

1) Open Visual C++ dialog editor, and design a fake dialog box, that actually shows the CAR compressor in action!

2) Attach some hugely big file in the archive, and along with it some extremely tiny file of the same name with the .car extension.

3) Don't include the compressor or decompressor for "security reasons".

4) Name the .ZIP 'proofcar' and post it on some website, and splash links to it all over message boards.

5) Voila! Proof that the CAR system really works!
    http://sreality.simplenet.com/images/carcomp.jpg

-Marc

Edited by - mchambers on 4/6/00 3:52:51 PM

#12 kieren_j   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 06 April 2000 - 09:42 AM

Hehe you''re funny...

erm, any sites?

---------------
    kieren_j

#13 Zipster   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 518

Posted 06 April 2000 - 09:44 AM

You''re just a genius now, aren''t you Mr. CAR. You think you figured out a super compresser in 20 minutes (thinking about it for a week... i''ll bet), compared to the companies that have been working on the subject for years? Maybe if I see the program in action, work with my OWN files I''ll believe you.

But until then (ha!), you just telling us crap!

#14 kieren_j   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 06 April 2000 - 09:48 AM

Oh what the hell.
    Chat to yourselves about compression jokes, Ill just find the sites my self

bye

---------------
    kieren_j

#15 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 06 April 2000 - 09:57 AM

Good, then we don''t have to listen to your crap.

#16 matibee   Members   -  Reputation: 204

Posted 06 April 2000 - 09:58 AM

Hey man, I wanna be your friend...

Pls invite me to your ''£first-million'' party. It''ll probably be next-week sometime. Will we be seeing another gold rush to keiran_j.com?!

No seriously, I''ve got to ask this question..
    Have you wrote the de-compression yet?

Alas, try http://mathworld.wolfram.com/topics/CodingTheory.html

Cheers

Matt

#17 kieren_j   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 06 April 2000 - 10:04 AM

OK, well at last we''ve got somebody willing to give me a site; thanks 3dMM.
    I just looked it up....erm, it only gives 3 lines on huffman encoding - no lzw or rle either.
    Whatever, I just found a site of askjeeves that gives ya source code...
    thanx anyways m8!

(yes i''ve done the decompressor!)

---------------
    kieren_j

#18 Mezz   Members   -  Reputation: 570

Posted 06 April 2000 - 10:05 AM

Why didn''t he just look under the programming sections on gamedev, I think there is something there.

I''m not sure why everyone had to rip him for what he said, although he did sound quite arrogant sometimes.

-Mezz

#19 kieren_j   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 06 April 2000 - 10:14 AM

Thanks, Ive had a look at the gamedev.net articles; I din''t realise they had any!

I''ve got my info now, thanks all (I think), and expect to see a demo soon! (believe me, you will....)

---------------
    kieren_j

#20 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 06 April 2000 - 10:18 AM

Hey guys, I''ve gotten bmp''s wav''s and mp3''s to compress just as kieren says. This is great. This is awesome. I love this. Here''s how you do it:

For Bitmaps:
    1. Create a new blank bitmap
    2. Resize it to 1600x1200
    3. Save and compress it with zip
    4. 5.5meg to 6k

For Waves:
    1. Create a new blank wave
    2. Use you favorite wave editor to set it to 48kHz, 16bit, Stereo, and 50 seconds long
    3. Save and compress it with zip
    4. 9.4meg to 10k

For MP3''s:
    1. Create a 5 minute wave, like the one you did above
    2. Convert to an mp3 with your favorite mp3 software
    3. Compress it with zip
    4. 4.6meg to 27k

This does really work you can try it. From this information I believe that I have come up with the source code to kieren''s amazing compressor. You don''t need to bother kieren for it, it''s right here:

#include

void Compress(CFILE* InFile, CFILE* OutFile, DWORD Size)
    {
    DWORD i;
    BYTE crap;

for (i = 0; i < Size; ++i)
    {
    crap = InFile->GetByte();
    crap = (crap & 0x00);
    OutFile->PutByte(crap);
    }
    }

NULL data sure does compress well doesn''t it :-).
    Too bad for the near 100% loss :-(.

-League of non-aligned programmers against programmers who BS-

Old topic!
    Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS