Chances of life in outer space

Started by
14 comments, last by Tyro 21 years, 7 months ago
seems that if life arouse out of sheer randomnes, it would be done by the very chance that amnio acid or fully functional gene would have to be produced by fluke on a perfect environment like earth having said that, dont you think that such chances are so low that even the huge ass universe would only contain a handful of life roaming planets i read something from a book, in which it described you have a 99% chance of something happening if you just give it enought time and trials(trys) like buying a million dollar lotto ticket million times would give you 99.999% chance of wining(given the condition that there were only million lotto tickets) it was actually describing how biological chemicals could have been formed by fluke and flukishly started functioning. it is something obvious but im trying to point out where my idea came from lets meddle with the affairs of moderators for they are subtle and quick to anger
Advertisement
Who sais the same amnio acid is needed for other life?
Who sais other life even needs amnio acids? Maybe amnio acids are just ONE way of the many ways to get life.

Also, there''s this theory that sais that the first life on earth didn''t actually come from earth, but could have been formed on one of the many meteorites that floated around in space and parts of it may have fallen on earth... which means that other parts of the meteorite may have fallen on other planets.
Also, when our solar system was forming, many parts of planets got loose, there were many collisions, and so on, so if there was first life already, it may have spread around in our solar system and maybe even beyond.
I think a pessimistic calculation of life in our galaxy at our level of technology is something like 500 or so. (That's what we were taught in astronomy.)

That's just in our galaxy too. There are hundreds of galaxies too aren't there?

-=Lohrno

[edited by - Lohrno on September 3, 2002 7:16:48 PM]
i thought about that (one about "who said there could be no life without amnio acids")
when nasa people said they were looking for some organic chemical in space(which i''ve forgotten the name of) i thought, how the @#$$ they know thats the only thing that they should be lookinng for, there chould be millions of different chemicals to look for that are not in any life on earth!

but then later, i realized by learning reading hearing thinking that it is because life can only likely to exist if it is carbon based or silicon based(bcause of the fact that they have 4 slots on their valance shell(im talking about the atom)) it can make all sorts of chemicals and make them work together.

yes i was gonna mention silicon but well, thats still theoretical and scientists still dont know a life can possibly exist as silicon based

lets meddle with the affairs of moderators for they are subtle and quick to anger
quote:Original post by Tyro
yes i was gonna mention silicon but well, thats still theoretical and scientists still dont know a life can possibly exist as silicon based

A silicon based life form wouldn''t be able to exist in an oxygen atmosphere because of how violently primitive silicon molecules react with oxygen. However, a different type of atmosphere might suit them just fine.
SpiffGQ
At the most fundamental life is just a set of chemical reactions. Some chemical reactions won''t allow life because it''ll blow up before it could evolve, others just don''t react at all. It''s possible to know what life everywhere in the universe must be made up of because the universe is made from the same building blocks, and from these building blocks we can tell what''s possible for life and what''s not.

And I believe life is out there, with fully developed animals not just microbes, but maybe not intelligent beings like humans. I''m pretty sure because this kind of put it into perspective to me, instead of being just "very big":

300,000 stars in our galaxy have been checked for jupiter-sized planets and 30,000 have been found. There are about 3,000,000 stars in our galaxy alone that makes 300,000 jupiter-sized planets in our galaxy, and with millions of other galaxies that''s a *lot* of planets. And only jupiter sized ones are detectable for now, there are many more earth-sized planets out there too. If we''re the only life in the universe it''s like going back to the earth at the center of the universe.

But the problem is, the nearest star is 4 light years away, so we are seeing that star as it was 4 years ago. Since nothing can travel faster then light it wouldn''t matter if that star exploded at this moment, it would only affect us in 4 years. So we can see stars right back to the early ages of the universe, stars which right now could have an earth-life planets with intelligent beings asking this same question, but it wouldn''t matter because we are seeing it millions of years in the past, and there is no way of communicating with them unless they sent out a signal millions of years before. The speed of light places an unfortunate limit on our hopes of ever seeing these alien beings, especially as the universe is expanding.

I heard something about some MIT students who programmed a cellular organism AI which had to survive by evolving, and the cells evolved into some recognisable organisms..

So yes, I do believe that life exists out there. I *know* life exists out there, but the speed of light greatly reduces the chance of finding them.
quote:Original post by Kyo
So yes, I do believe that life exists out there. I *know* life exists out there, but the speed of light greatly reduces the chance of finding them.

I guess we''re just going to have to go out and look for them

I don''t personally care if there is other life, I just think it would be nice if there were other habitable planets and some means of reaching them within a viable time frame to colonize. Considering we haven''t even gotten to our neighbor planet yet, I imagine full-fledged human colonization is a _very_ long way off.
SpiffGQ
quote:Original post by Lohrno
That''s just in our galaxy too. There are hundreds of galaxies too aren''t there?

There are thousands upon millions, being discovered every day. Also, considering that the universe is constantly expanding there is obviously no limit.

Around 2 months ago the magazine Scientific American or Discovery had an article, with a rather long equation on calcuating the amount of possible life within the universe. Considering the vast size of the universe, I do not doubt that many races can possibly abound. As has been stated, other races wouldn''t have to posess the same chemical makeup as we, being carbon based life forms do. It is puzzling that we haven''t discovered any evidence for other races, though. Hopefully with the recent increase of interest in astronomy, our chances of discovery will increase much more.
masterghttp:/masterg.andyc.org
Why puzzling? We have yet to observe a planet directly, the only way we can tell it''s there is by the wobble it''s gravity causes to the star. And the universe is very, very empty. If the earth was 2m away from the sun pluto would be 365m away (in a scale model). In our solar system alone. And the nearest star to our sun is 4 light years away. That''s a huge amount of emptyness. The only evidence we can find of alien life is a radiowave or something and even travelling at the speed of light the signal would have to have left a *very* long time ago for us to detect it. And the universe is huge, not much chances of finding a signal

If you haven''t heard of SETI@HOME type it in google and download the program it''s a screensaver which analyzes signals the main satellite receives and sends to you to decode then sends back to them. Pretty cool and even if you''re on 56k it only needs to download a tiny packet at the start and decoding will take a very long time before you have to reconnect.
quote:Original post by Kyo
Why puzzling? We have yet to observe a planet directly, the only way we can tell it''s there is by the wobble it''s gravity causes to the star. And the universe is very, very empty. If the earth was 2m away from the sun pluto would be 365m away (in a scale model). In our solar system alone. And the nearest star to our sun is 4 light years away. That''s a huge amount of emptyness. The only evidence we can find of alien life is a radiowave or something and even travelling at the speed of light the signal would have to have left a *very* long time ago for us to detect it. And the universe is huge, not much chances of finding a signal

It''s extremely puzzling, because we havent had any noticeable contact with aliens. By that, I mean to consider the fact that no alien life forms have actually "come to us". The universe''s vastness is incredibly large, but many more factors than you have discussed exist for considering the possibility of alien life. (Feel free to discuss *with me* some more of your considerations, and I will go into more depth - if you like .)

masterghttp:/masterg.andyc.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement