• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

look what they are cooking up now

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

#1 cxi   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 April 2000 - 07:36 AM

http://www.xbox.com microsoft has decided to enter the console gaming industry with the new xbox. this thing is power packed. there are only 4 screenshots, but they are good. damn good. the suifggested price is ... 200 bucks too. the thing is more powerful than my PC and my PC cost 1000! does this mean that microsoft will attempt to monopolize our gaming community too???? any thoughts, or comments? what does this mean as far as competition goes for those littler gaming companies? will they survive microsoft?? cxi The Code is a Living breathing entity, and will move in accordance with you, therefore, be one with the Tao of the Code..

Sponsor:

#2 Loqi   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 April 2000 - 07:53 AM

(entering pure rumor mode)...I heard that the X-Box was going to be an open platform, such that anyone could develop for it without a license and the like. I think that would do wonders for little game companies who previously might have had a harder time hitting the console market (especially if the machine just runs Intel Win2K/DX8 code).

#3 Moe   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1248

Posted 07 April 2000 - 08:12 AM

screenshots dont mean much. they could be taken at 1fps or so. i do admit the polygon counts do look extremely high, but then again it could be pre-rendered backgrounds, etc. that must be one heck of a custom built video processor. maybe better than a g-force...

- Moe -

#4 altair734   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 April 2000 - 08:21 AM

If those screenshots are real gameplay, then holy #$*! That thing looks awesome! Like real life!

altair
altair734@yahoo.com
biggins.mit.edu/altair734

#5 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 07 April 2000 - 08:23 AM

I dunno about the rest of us, but i am seeing if i can install linux on that thing Unless they burn all system info (etc.) into the rom (and they won''t unless they are extremely dumb) i will see if it is possible. It may not run games, but hey, if i can get t to work, ill custom build apps for me to use.

#6 Novalis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 April 2000 - 08:41 AM

I have to admit, I''d be stunned if those screenshots were rendered in real time. However, the obvious reality of it is that that is a still from a pre-rendered movie.

#7 Pythius   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 April 2000 - 09:04 AM

I understand that many of you are skeptical about the X-Box, but I think that it will rule. Sure, they do have the ability do do stuff like take the screenshots at 1 fps, but what could they do to convince you that it''s a powerful machine? I already know it''s gonna rock, since that was all done on the best chip they could get from nVidia (they still haven''t finished the custom chip for the machine). I think that''s a suped-up GeForce, but the real one is still being made (think GeForce and then some...). I have no doubts that if Microsoft can do it well, as they often do, this will be one kickass machine.

Pythius

BTW, this has nothing to do with the fact that I''m currently looking into a job developing for the machine. I think it will kick ass no matter what.

#8 crazy166   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 April 2000 - 09:06 AM

it''s a nice machine, i''ve seen it do over 90 fps on the "blue screen of death" (maybe it was a rendering of a skyscape?)

I do have to admit, they are _very_ nice shots. but i haven''t seen any dolphin screenshots yet.

crazy166
some people think i'm crazy, some people know it

#9 cxi   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 April 2000 - 09:40 AM

OH i believe the screenshots are 1 fps, and i agree that the system willbe platform independant. but think about the business aspect of it. Remember microsoft released windows as its operating system,and stole the entire market. now the world is using windows 98, and competition is crushed. what if that happened to the gaming universe, where we were all forced to use the xbox, because it had crushed the competition? microsoft does have a monopolistic past....

The Code is a Living breathing entity, and will move in accordance with you, therefore, be one with the Tao of the Code..

#10 CoolMike   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 April 2000 - 09:57 AM

Do you know why Microsoft owns the computer software industry? It is because they released good software that everybody uses (if it wasn''t good nobody would have bought it). I am not necessarily saying I support their apparent goals of world domination, but the only way the xbox will crush the competition is if it is awesome and everybody buys it, not simply because Microsoft has lots of cash and ambition (though that will be a factor).

#11 Novalis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 April 2000 - 10:02 AM

In my (not so humble) opinion, that''s bull. MS does not own the market because of the high quality of their products. Their products are crap. The reason MS owns the market is because they were the only ones in the business when the whole pc market exploded. They''ve just been killing off upstarts ever since.

#12 Strife   Members   -  Reputation: 374

Posted 07 April 2000 - 10:09 AM

Loqi, if that rumor is correct, X-Box will blow everything away!!! That would be sweet because independent developers like us could do stuff, whereas with things like PSX, you have to get it approved by Sony first, or so I''ve heard...

If you code it, they will come...

Commander M
http://commanderm.8m.com
cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com

#13 Blah!   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 April 2000 - 10:22 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about Microsoft taking over the console industry. Why? Because if every other console makers out there still stand by their consoles and keep on developing for it, people will buy them. I know alot of people who bought a N64 just for Zelda, then again I know alot of people who bought a PSX for Final Fantasy too. So as long as a console has developers putting out good titles, and the console still sells, it will not die out.

Also price is a *BIG* factor since most people who play console games are between 10-24, and lets face it most people in that age group don't have alot of cash to burn.
But I am curious on just how does Microsoft expect a 200$ price tag with conponents most PC owners would drool over (700Mhz processor, custom GeForce...).

Anyway just my opinion, feel free to flame me

Edited by - Blah! on 4/7/00 4:26:38 PM

#14 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 07 April 2000 - 10:30 AM

Actually, freedom buddies, XBox was originally the great genius--captain freedom''s (my) idea. However, due to lack of coffee and snicker bars, I had to goto FreeDOM Market and when I was back to my Superhero Headquarters, I lost my model! I suspect that MS has stolen it. I designed it with much more--I even added a Freedom Call button (so you can call me when you''re in need of good news) but the evil company has removed such button from the Xbox!

I am sad, and I need a shoulder to cry on... I called the high commander, and he should be at the headquarters any minute... then maybe we''ll go shopping for snickers and spandex for my pets SuperCat and FreedomDawg...

Well, I wish you good luck in all your endeavors, freedom stock!

THE FREEDOM SAYS, THE FREEDOM SAYS THIS,
THE FREEDOM SAYS, THE FREEDOM SAYS THAT!

#15 Akura   Members   -  Reputation: 130

Posted 07 April 2000 - 10:57 AM

MS is working with nVidia to develop a chip to beat all, supposdly 150 million polyes per sec !

#16 Painless   Members   -  Reputation: 126

Posted 07 April 2000 - 11:00 AM

You know.. Microsoft''s tried it''s luck on the computer and computer equipment market before. Most of their attempts (the computer MSX etc) have been complete failures, except for their controller equipment. Now, for the screenshots - I don''t consider them to be anything really special. They have big things nicely shaded, and that''s it. No billion textures nicely bumpmapped or mindblowing realism, I believe most of the superpriced gaming computers now could do that in 12-30FPS.

#17 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 07 April 2000 - 11:00 AM

Unfortunately, XBox is not an Open Platform. Bill Gates himself said this. It features a ''traditional'' licensing model, basically meaning a devkit will be tens of thousands of dollars. Also the screenshots were generated by a ''simulator'', which is usually a piece of hardware whit multiple rendering cores, audio processors, etc. which attemp to emulate the final hardware. Basically a hardware based X-Box emulator. As far as whether or not Microsoft will corner the console market, that largely depends on what developers decide to do. This has been a subject of much debate between commercial developers/programmers I personally know, and I think it will come down to who has better hardware and larger numbers of units in the field. For MOST ISVs, producing games for both X-Box, PC, and Playstation 2 will not be possible due to prohibitively high development costs. If X-Box sells as well as the PS2, then developers will probably go with Microsoft because a port to PC/XBox will be less complicated. It least that''s my opinion.

--Cauldron the Sage

#18 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 07 April 2000 - 12:05 PM

I was at the CGDC when he announced the thing and the demo was in realtime. Portions of it were fully interactive.

The reason Microsoft is so powerful is because they became the defacto industry standard. Game developers don''t want to have to develop games for macs because they don''t have enough marketshare. If there were a dozen OSs with equal shares of the market, developing games would be hell.

The Xbox is going to have a hard drive. This alone will change console gaming. I hope I don''t have to spell out why.

The Xbox is going to use the next iteration of an industry standard operating system. It''s going to make life a lot easier for developers who already know what they''re doing with directX 7. (or so we''d like to assume)

$0.02

#19 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 08 April 2000 - 05:39 AM

To all of you who say that it all comes down to Hardware on the consoles. This is not what makes a person buy a console. It''s the games. People don''t really care about the Hardware as long as they got a good game to play on it. I''m not saying that the Hardware is not important at all, but look at the GameBoy. A watch got a biger prossesor than a GameBoy. But people buy it. Why? The games are great.

Also. Why is there more good games for some consoles than others. Well. This is often (not always) desided by how easy the platform is to develope for. Think about it. If the companies use a lot less resources on bug fixing and stuff like that that is there because the platform is so hard to develope for, they could use a lot more on gameplay, graphics and other features that makes a good game. To mention the GameBoy once more. It''s a thrill to develope for. I have done it my self and by experiense I have understood why most of the games on the GB are as good as they are...

Anyway.. If anyone disagree with me... Let me know

Scha

#20 wardekar   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 April 2000 - 07:05 AM

According to numerous video game sites and such, those XBox pics are being displayed in realtime, at a smooth 60 fps. Pretty damn amazing when you consider it. But to add my two cents to this conversation, I''m wondering why no one mentions Dreamcast? Only Dolphin, PS2, PC, and XBox. Don''t forget that Dreamcast has two OSes, Sega''s Dragon, and a modified Windows CE. This means that any PC developer can convert games to DC with almost no problem. Add to this that in September Sega will have launched a giagantic on-line network with tons of new massive multiplayer games, and what do you get? The first time a console has ever done this, and not to mention a HUGE advantage over the competition. Now add in that in September Sega will be GIVING away Dreamcasts, and giving $200 rebates to people who already have one, to EVERYONE who signs up for a year of internet service with their ISP, used on both DC and PC. What genius is running this company? Now add in that there are already TONs of GREAT games, both gameplay and graphically, and you have another thing going for it. Then you have to take into consideration that this has been out like 2 years in japan, PS2 just came out, and DC can almost match PS2 graphically using certain rendering short-cuts DC has built in. Sorry for getting off-topic here, but my point is there''s room for more than one console out there, although XBox does look pretty awesome...but then again they are only rendering 2 characters on screen...check out DOA2 on DC, up to 4 players on screen at once, they look FANTASTIC, plus it''s running at 60 fps with AWESOME environments. ANyway that''s all I have to say, for now.

~WarDekar

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS