best 3rd person action/adventure/RPG

Started by
31 comments, last by loftyideals 19 years, 11 months ago
Hi. I''m thinking of making a 3rd person action/adventure game and I would like some opinions on games people have played that are really exceptional. When I say 3rd person action/adventure game, I mean everythign from Ikari Warriors/Smash TV to Diablo or Dungeon Seige. I''m looking for good examples throughout the ages of good gameplay. The best 3rd person game I''ve ever played is the game Oni (developed by Bungie and released by GODGames.) Any thoughts? devinmaxwell
Advertisement
Oni? ONI? I bought that, and never played it after the first three levels

The most fun "3rd person action/adventure game" ever as far as I''m concerned is ''Zelda: Occarina of time''. However, the best PC action/adventure was called ''Outcast'' (Infogrames, 1999). It was largely overlooked at the time, because it didn''t use 3D cards, but made use of voxels. That meant it looked ace (for the time) but required computers with tonnes of memory and CPU power.
It was absolutely inspirational (really, it was, its the reason I''m studying to make games ), levels were huge, worlds immersive, and characters more than just plot devices... I is gettin nostalgic...
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone
Seiken Densetsu 3 is THE best action-RPG EVER. If it didn''t have multi-player support or a custom (sort of) leveling system, it wouldn''t be, but it has these things, and it is good.

I may not be describing this very well at all, but SD3 plays like Legend of Zelda merged with Final Fantasy merged with [insert favorite non-Zelda action-RPG here].

Using your loose definitions, another of my favorites would have to be Gauntlet, in any of its older, 2-dimensional forms.
Mafia?
I throw in a vote for the Metroid games...oh wait...they are 2D SIDE view...I guess that doesn''t count

Hmm...The first time I played Tomb Raider...I couldn''t help but think that it''s engine would be great to base a 3D Metroid game on...world made of blocks, etc...swap out Lara for good old'' Sammi...change the textures and enemies around...course you''d have a lot of work to do makeing all the moves correct-n-such...but what the hell, it was 1998...didn''t know half then of what I know now
WHAT!???!? ONI r0xx0r5!

Anyways, another good rpg to check out is Anachronox
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
quote:Original post by loftyideals
Hi. I''m thinking of making a 3rd person action/adventure game and I would like some opinions on games people have played that are really exceptional. When I say 3rd person action/adventure game, I mean everythign from Ikari Warriors/Smash TV to Diablo or Dungeon Seige. I''m looking for good examples throughout the ages of good gameplay. The best 3rd person game I''ve ever played is the game Oni (developed by Bungie and released by GODGames.) Any thoughts?

Neverwinter Nights ? That''s pretty good.
I still prefer Morrowind, but that''s 1st person.
What about Zelda 64: orciania of time? Highest rated game of all time!
max payne anyone.ok it might of been short but it was the best game I have played in a while. cheese heaven....

[edited by - themonkster on September 10, 2002 9:06:32 PM]
A always thought that MDK was pretty cool, nice graphics (for the time) even on a low end machine. It had a lot of good ideas. Never got round to playing the second one though.
love the big green hobo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement