University project - investigating features of OpenGL 1.4

Started by
8 comments, last by Billy Lee 21 years, 6 months ago
I''m starting my final year in my Masters in Software Engineering and I''m looking to do a project involving the creation of a game. I can''t just say "I want to create a game" so I''ve decided to investigate and implement the new features of OpenGL 1.4 into a simple game like Asteriods to create lots of special effects. The project has to be something relatively new that others haven''t done before, or at least compare favourably to something similar (in this case, another particular 3D Asteroids game). Do you think this will make a good project? Any comments and suggestions appreciated.
Advertisement
There''s not a whole lot more interesting about OpenGL 1.4 than there is over 1.3. Depth textures and shadows are new, but I don''t think that''s too exciting.

If you''re going to do a "research project" using OpenGL and want to do something new and cool I would suggest looking at the ARB_vertex_program and ARB_fragment_program extensions not just OpenGL 1.4. These are *very* new pieces of OpenGL that have recently been standardized. These extensions haven''t been used much yet so many developers are interested in how to make cool effects with them. If you can implement some of those effects, you could definately wow some people.
Thanks. I think I will do that. I''ve also been looking up on NVidia''s Cg technology. As I understand it, it sits on top of OpenGL and is a way of producing good special effects easily using the C language. Does anyone know much about this? Would this be a good thing to investigate for my project as an alternative? Or maybe utilise the ARB_vertex_program and ARB_fragment_program extensions using Cg.:D
quote:Original post by Billy Lee
Thanks. I think I will do that. I've also been looking up on NVidia's Cg technology. As I understand it, it sits on top of OpenGL and is a way of producing good special effects easily using the C language. Does anyone know much about this? Would this be a good thing to investigate for my project as an alternative? Or maybe utilise the ARB_vertex_program and ARB_fragment_program extensions using Cg.:D
Nooooooo...of course I'm biased since I work for ATI.

Seriously though, the only company thinking of implementing Cg is NVidia. I wouldn't base my university project on 1 company's technology. There is (or will be) implementations of ARB_fragment_program and ARB_vertex_program on multiple cards from many different companies. Certainly, Cg isn't even usable at this point considering NVidia hasn't produced hardware that can actually run Cg Shaders efficiently.

If you can wait a few months, consider doing a project using GL2 shading extensions. There will, hopefully, be a few companies with 1st round implementations.

[edited by - DannerGL on October 4, 2002 11:21:04 AM]
dun think its a good idea to based ur project esp. a MASTER thesis on something like OGL1.4 or just implementing effects with ARB extensions. Every graphics programmer and his dog/cat/hamster/grandma are doing it.

I think u need to go back and research on which direction is better. Seems like u dun have much idea about high level shader languages or even low level shader stuff. Other than shaders, the other stuff in OGL are quite rudimentary, unless if u r dwelling into some obscure mathematical theory of triangle rasterization or graphics algorithm. Me think best is for u to do something that is your forte instead of trying to explore new world.

http://www.geocities.com/codeman_net/
- Hun Yen Kwoon
quote:Original post by DannerGL
If you''re going to do a "research project" using OpenGL and want to do something new and cool I would suggest looking at the ARB_vertex_program and ARB_fragment_program extensions not just OpenGL 1.4. These are *very* new pieces of OpenGL that have recently been standardized. These extensions haven''t been used much yet so many developers are interested in how to make cool effects with them. If you can implement some of those effects, you could definately wow some people.

i thought arb_vetex_program IS part of opengl1.4 (it saiz in my opengl1.4spec), im not to sure about fragemnet progrogram im pretty sure it aint though

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/kea/kea.html
http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html
quote:Original post by zedzeek
i thought arb_vetex_program IS part of opengl1.4 (it saiz in my opengl1.4spec), im not to sure about fragemnet progrogram im pretty sure it aint though

No, it's not technically part of 1.4 because M$ has some obscure IP claim on it and the ARB bylaws state that if anybody claims IP on an extension it can't be part of standard OpenGL.

Not that it really matters whether it's part of 1.4 or not since M$ will probably never ship an implemenation above 1.1. Either way, on windows at least, you'd have to access the functionality as an extension.

[edited by - DannerGL on October 4, 2002 12:14:42 AM]
flipstar, the project has to involve something new. I have studied like crazy learning OpenGL through the summer holidays so I really want to do something with that. It''s true that I don''t know much about shaders. I should read up on them. I really want to make a game though for my project. The end result has to be a piece of software.
If ur doing a software engineering masters couldnt u do something along the lines of "design patterns of real-time 3d game effects". I''m sure there are a lot of uncharted patters that could be useful.
You could always then create a asteriods game using OGL to demonstrate the efficent implementation of your patterns and how they are useful in keeping the game modular, maintainible, understandable...(insert software engineering terms here)...etc
quote:Original post by _walrus
If ur doing a software engineering masters couldnt u do something along the lines of "design patterns of real-time 3d game effects". I''m sure there are a lot of uncharted patters that could be useful.
You could always then create a asteriods game using OGL to demonstrate the efficent implementation of your patterns and how they are useful in keeping the game modular, maintainible, understandable...(insert software engineering terms here)...etc
That''s true...this would be more "Software Engineering" like. Using shaders and doing some cool math tricks is more "Computer Science" like.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement