• Create Account

What makes a 3d shooter attractive?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie McSow   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 April 2000 - 12:23 PM

I have a question to all of you: Concerning the game design, what makes a 3d shooter attractive to play?? Charlie McSow /Paradigm Game Design www.rarebyte.de.st

Sponsor:

#2 Blah!   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 April 2000 - 12:37 PM

Obviously, graphics. Considering most game players only care about very nice graphics. Also multi-player is a big thing these days. Also this may sound stupid but, the higher the violence and weapon selection, the more it sells.

But then again that's just based on what my (very stupid and inexperienced ) friends talk first about a game.

For example, when they first finished Half-Life, the first thing they talked about was not the great story (for a 3rd shooter anyway) it was the graphics and the violence .

Edited by - Blah! on 4/13/00 6:39:03 PM

#3 felonius   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 April 2000 - 12:58 PM

I must agree with Blah!.

It seems though that people focus very much on the multiplayer part.

A few days ago I overheard a conversation in my local computer store between to Unreal Tournament fanatics. They were discussing loadly and with much passion how cool it was to play some "last man standing" level. They seemed to think that first person shooter was the best thing around.

I guess what drives them is the follwing:
1. The angrenaline rush.
2. Enjoyment of doing a social activity with can be of any length.
3. The great graphics and sound.

#4 mbarela   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 April 2000 - 01:04 PM

While that may be true for the initial reaction I don''t think you can stress how the game over all plays. Look at Half-Life. It had quite a few DM players on the net when it came out. QW and Q2 still pretty much ruled the on-line universe. The game was programmed with the fact in mind that they would be releasing an SDK for programmers to make mods. It was probably the smartest descision Valve made on HL. Counter Strike is probably the most played game on the net right now, followed closely by TFC. Both are mods for Half-Life. These user made mods are moving units of the Half-Life game right off the shelf. The code is open ended enough to incorporate completly different game types and that is a big selling point. I think that makes a game attractive. Game play and an extensible design will help your project succeed I believe. I also feel what the others are saying. Get some good modelers and artists. No one will get into the game play if they think the graphics are archaic these days....

Mike Barela
mbarela@earthlink.net

#5 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3333

Posted 14 April 2000 - 12:52 AM

Fear!

If you can just walk into a room, unload your ammo and drop the creature without having to worry, the game is almost pointless.

However, stepping round a corner to hear the roar of the Cyberdemon, knowing you can''t stand still or you -will- die somewhat quickly, now -there''s- an experience. Raise the tension levels. Make them scared to go round the corners.

#6 felonius   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 April 2000 - 01:19 AM

Must games (even half-life) does not give this tension in my opinion. The reason for this is SAVED GAMES.

See the thread on saved games also in this topic group.

#7 mbarela   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 April 2000 - 10:19 AM

I guess that saved games are slightly detrimental to the over all fear element, but a game like Half-Life would be too inconvienant to play with out that feature. Only hard core gamers would play and that cuts down so much on the total video game audience right now. Just for the record though, single player Half-Life did make me jump a number of times and I thought it was a very ambient, moody game.

Mike Barela
mbarela@earthlink.net

#8 Paladin   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 April 2000 - 03:01 PM

What makes 3D shooters attractive...

1) Graphics
2) Great weapon balance: In my opinion UT doesn''t have "the feeling" on weapons. Same with Quake 2. When you compare these two games to original Quake weapons (which were off balanced badly BTW.), you notice that Q1 had "FEELING" in weapons: You saw when you hit your enemy, you REALLY SAW, and somehow everything was better (in my opinion) in Q1 weapons than Q2 or UT... somehow...
3) Good moving. Again, in Q1 character continued turning a little bit even after the mouse didn''t move, and I seriously think that this caused better control over the character for some reason... anyone else agree with me ?
In Q2 I didn''t have this feeling in turning, and it caused me a problems...
4) Well, the real things: Great SP levels. I would actually like to see somekind of tournament system that wouldn''t be so simple like in UT or Q3, but it would have... something

#9 Charlie McSow   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 April 2000 - 03:22 PM

I fully agree with you, Paladin.

Weapon balance is very important. In UT, the weapons are a badly balanced, but in Q1, Q2 and Q3, the weapon balance is great.
The FEELING when you play a game is also very important. I can''t describe this feeling...well, it''s a mixture of movement, weapon handling and sound impression. You do not only play the game, but you''re in the game, you feel it.

I did not have this feeling when I play UT, but the feeling is great when I play Quake.

Another important thing is blood. I''ve seen german versions of a few 3d shooters with green blood or no blood...
I think these are not the real games, ''cause you''re not afraid of monsters or enemies with green blood. No blood is just good for people who do not have fast hardware...

I also think DM is better than SP. ok, I must admit that HL has a very good SP Storyline and it rockz, but I prefer the ultimate DM experience...

Charlie McSow /Paradigm Game Design
www.rarebyte.de.st

#10 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 18 April 2000 - 03:41 PM

a good shooter is one that is realystic, has good graphics(but supports lower hardware from gamers also, not all of us have the last vodoo card that came out!) has a multiplayer, some squad game and good communication. aquarate ballistics is an atractive feature too.

#11 Magic Card   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 April 2000 - 12:30 PM

You dudes forgot one thing: Creepy Music. Remember when you first played DOOM, you got into the first level, and at the VERY beginning you heard that spine chilling tune? Music is the thing that makes a game fun. Music is what gives you an adrenaline rush. I''ve played lots of games where I''ve had to turn my sound off because the music is either too boring or is creeping me half-to-death. If it''s creeping me half-to-death that means that the game designers goal has been completed: To scare the player out of his pants. Say you''re playing some multiplayer deathmatch game. You walk up to a closed door. You''re about to open it when suddenly the msuic changes and you hear a creepy minor chord. You open the door and some other player comes out with a huge assault cannon at max power in one hand and flame thrower at the ready and then suddenly blasts your head off. Does the music stay? No, it goes back to the ordinary music. Music is what surprises you my friends. It''s not the cyber-demon coming from behind the corner, it''s the cyber-demon''s THEME SONG! The song starts THEN he comes out. If the music had stayed the same it wouldn''t have happened and it wouldn''t have been as creepy.

And when I mean music I don''t just mean 1 melody, 1 harmony, and 1 drumb line. Good music should have atleast 3 of each, with over 5 instruments. I''ve heard songs with 2 instruments. Those, IMHO, aren''t good. But the ones with an Electric Guitar, Electric Bass, Citar, Pounding Drumbs, and also Bells are much better. It''s just my opinion though.

Top quality games don''t kick ass as well as these.

http://danavision.homestead.com

Prepare to be blown away!
-------------------------

Magic Card

#12 aDasTRa   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 April 2000 - 01:02 PM

One word: Immersion. The player has feel as though they are part of the world, not just an observer. Graphics help this. So does surround sound, interactive music, and perhaps most importantly, story! The game must be interesting and the player must care about what happens to the characters, or else it just digresses into a blood bath. And there is too many of those today. Creating an appropriate ambience and atmoshpere is crucial.

<(o)>

Edited by - aDasTRa on 4/21/00 7:05:42 PM

#13 Facehat   Members   -  Reputation: 696

Posted 21 April 2000 - 01:26 PM

Why does everyone think that fear is such an essential part? It can be a usefull tool for a designer, but fear alone does not make a great shooter.

Personally, I think that the game needs to make you feel like your in an action movie. It should be really fast paced, in close to real world environments. Plus, the player should feel very powerful (although, on the flip side, the game cannot be too easy).

--TheGoop

#14 SHilbert   Members   -  Reputation: 647

Posted 23 April 2000 - 07:29 AM

I think that they''re attractive because they can be incredibly fun. You can''t tell me tricking your best friend into getting his head blown off by walking into a mine isn''t funny, or effortlessly destroying monsters that would make you scream for your mother. Who sits down at their computer and thinks, "Hmmm... time to be scared out of my wits!" ? Most people are really looking for fun.

lntakitopi@aol.com
http://geocities.com/guanajam/

#15 Charlie McSow   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 April 2000 - 07:32 AM

Well, I think you''re right, SHilbert!

What do you think:
Is Quake funny or scary?

I think it''s both.

Charlie McSow /Paradigm Game Design
www.rarebyte.de.st

#16 Paladin   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 April 2000 - 02:59 AM

... Funny, for me the DOOM was scary, even though I''m laffing for that game and graphics nowdays, but seven years ago there was nothing to laff...
Since then, the Half Life has been only game that caused me to freak out in 1st person shooters.

#17 m1dn1ght   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 April 2000 - 11:52 PM

Hmm I like to see something different in my shooters. I''m still a big advocate of Hexen & Hexen 2, which added char classes, a super weapon that you had to put together from pieces, and rpg elements, like levels and skills.
Half-Life had a good story, won me over. Then again I love playing remakes of classic multiplayer mods like on Unreal Tournament.
They should really port the Siege mod to another game

#18 dog135   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 May 2000 - 06:33 AM

Thinking about half-life, one thing I watch out for in FPSs are the system requirements. If the minimum is to high, I won''t get it. Even if my system can handle the minimum requirements, if they''re high, that means I''ll have to deal with graphic detail that makes Doom look good. Or the Frames-Per-Second will be way low.

E:cb woof!

#19 Mariorox   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 May 2000 - 02:55 PM

For me, originality. Perhaps a very good story to with the game. You could make it very interesting. Also, original & useful weapons would be nice

Mariorox

the Cartoonist

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS