Displaying models in OpenGL

Started by
5 comments, last by xeos 24 years ago
I''ve begun implementing my 3d engine, but I''ve hit a bump -- How do I display 3D models in OpenGL. I tried to implement my own system (using some 3ds converter), but that didn''t work. Whilst I wouldn''t mind a full implementation, I would be happy to fill-in-the-blanks as a learning process. However, I don''t have too much time on my hands, so I''m not able to work from the specs backwards. However, something in-between would be nice. I know that this question has been asked plenty of times before, and while not the right channel to say this, but shouldn''t someone do a tutorial on this?? If given enough info, I might just put my findings into a tut, so if you hate responding to this question, respond to me! Thanks for you time, and thanks in advance for responders! Simon Wilson
XEOS Digital Development - Supporting the independant and OpenSource game developers!
Advertisement
xeos,

Well, if you want Quake 2 models w/ full animation you can find source anywhere. Just go to yahoo and put "Quake2 models opengl" or something along those lines. It will take some time, but you''ll get it in there. If you have problems finding it just email me.

Best of luck,

Justin Eslinger
Http://members.xoom.com/Blackscar
~-=-=-=-=-=-=~~Justin Eslinger~~.."BlackScar"..~~-=-=-=-=-=-=~
go to

www.xdsoft.com/explorer

excellent 3d converter in lotsa formats, you can export to opengl code display lists, and just render the display list. it also outputs texture coordinates, but i haven't quite figured that out textures yet.

a2k

Edited by - a2k on 4/14/00 9:52:54 AM
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
You should write your own file format and write loaders so that your game can load in the custom files into it. This way, you do not have to worry about later on when the .3ds turns into .max, or when .dxf is obsolete. Another thing some companies do, is write a file format that wraps around a finnished product, and then write level editors for it.
This is where the money seems to be-

bitburd
www.darkspiresoft.com
Thanks for the great ideas everyone. HOWEVER...

I mentioned above that I am hard-pressed for time, and that I realy don''t have time to do start from scratch - especially writing my own format!!!

Quake models seems to be a good option - there''s pleanty of model makers available, but I feel that using 3DS (or some variant) would be a better choice, as I''m better at 3DSMAX than those freeware editors. Is there a plug available to export models from 3DSMAX to MD2? I know that golgotha did this (they even made their own model format) - perhaps I should use the golgotha code...

Any further ideas are greatly appreciated, and thanks to all who''ve replied so far!

Simon Wilson
XEOS Digital Development - Supporting the independant and OpenSource game developers!
dude! trust me! with the xdsoft.com!!!

you create a .max file, export it to 3ds, and then run the converter, it''ll convert it to OPENGL .CPP DISPLAY LIST CODE, directly compilable from there. (but you still have to work with textures...) anyway, that''s the closest you''re gonna get to quick and easy without it looking like somebody else''s off the shelf work.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
A nice easy 3D file format is Max''s .ASC files. Extremely easy to parse, and the drawing code is simple (loop through every face and draw a triangle). You can find converters everywhere to get these files. .RAW files and .ASE files are also quite easy to parse if that''s what you''re looking for. You won''t find any tutorials on how to load these files, but just look at the file itslef, it''s quite self-explanitory. Cheers!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement