Tile based game

Started by
5 comments, last by Tommy2k 21 years, 6 months ago
I want to make a simple tilebased game, like Zelda for the gameboy. I know how to do it using windows API''s but ofcourse i want to do it in a better way. Does anybody know examples or tutorials covering this? It doesn''t need to be very good or fast. Thnx
Advertisement
Game programming genesis series. It goes through all the steps (setting up DirectX, etc.) and talks about tile engines later on. It''s definitely worth a read.

Also, you might want to have a look at NeHe Zelda. It''s in OpeGL, mind you... (I think that this code base by Tronster is the most advanced one. More to the point, there''s a lovely class diagram for you to mosey through).
Aren''t there any tutorials covering this? I''d like the game to be DirectDraw and not OpenGl. BTW i DO know C++ do i didn''t need the first link.

Thnx
quote:Original post by Tommy2k
BTW i DO know C++ do i didn't need the first link.Thnx

Look harder. The first link is a nine-part series.

EDIT: oops, I meant ten part series .

[edited by - Alimonster on October 9, 2002 3:47:24 PM]

There is a plethora of DirectDraw examples around. And oddly enough hosted at this site (go figure)

But to get you started in oh umm 10 minutes this should get a basic display going. DirectDraw The Easy Way

Now I would like to direct you to where I found this!!!! If you hit you lil ol ''Home'' key at the top you will notice a nicely laid out grid. You will see Articles & Resources

Neat EH!

Now as for the first link and you knowing... if you had taken the time to READ (and GOD knows that if you know C++ then you have don''t a boat load of READING and tutorial searching) or even scan that first article you would have noticed that it was part of SERIES. As the series progresses you get introduced into DirectDraw interface. Remember this article was not written just for you so other that DON''T know C++ might be able to learn from it too!!

hehe sorry i was gonna post this earlier....yeah i''m quite new here and i got somewhat lost with the frst link....lol

Well thnx for all the links :-)
Yeah you caught me a bad moment. I’d just woken up and awaken nonetheless by my ex. Yip-yip-yip nag-nag-nag

You were just the next best thing to a shotgun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement