Display an image in java?

Started by
9 comments, last by Madmonky1 21 years, 6 months ago
I did this in an applet, but it wont work in my java application. my project is a java application, and here is the code for my class:

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;

public class SpellAnimations
{
	public int p1x = 0;

public int p1y = 0;

public int ticks = 0;
	public int framerate = 5;
	public Image img1;

public void draw_sword(Graphics g){
		g.drawImage(img1,p1x, p1y);
	}

}

and the errors: --------------------Configuration: rpg - j2sdk1.4.1 -------------------- C:\Program Files\Xinox Software\JCreator LE\MyProjects\rpging\test\SpellAnimations.java:61: cannot resolve symbol symbol : method drawImage (java.awt.Image,int,int) location: class java.awt.Graphics g.drawImage(img1,p1x, p1y); ^ 1 error Process completed. I know I need to add a path for img1, but is that nessesary for it to compile? [edited by - madmonky1 on October 13, 2002 8:01:32 PM]
the monky has no place in the circle of confusion. Now the mosspit of chaos...
Advertisement
1. There is a Java forum where this really should go, maybe a moderator will move it...

2. When you write an applet, the applet is the component. When you write a non-applet, you have to supply the component. In your code snippet, you don't have a component to draw on and Graphics g doesn't refer to anything. So you must declare a component then you can override its update() repaint() and paint() methods all you want.

3. There are some really good tutorials over at java.sun.com.

[edited by - nonnus29 on October 13, 2002 8:59:13 PM]
If what Nonnus stated is the problem (but I dont think it is), then your second problem is going to be that there is no such method in the standard Graphics class. Try drawImage(img1 , p1x , p1y , null).
drawImage() has to have a reference to the component to be drawn on NULL won''t work either.

If there is a component declared outside of this class somewhere then we really need some more info to be able to help.
thnx, ill try it out.
quote:Posted by nonnus29 :
drawImage() has to have a reference to the component to be drawn on NULL won''t work either.
No it doesn''t. He passed a graphics object in, which implies that it is created somewhere else. Whether it''s created from an awt component or not is irrelevant - all graphics objects can draw images. His error was compile-time, not run-time so it isn''t a problem with a null graphics object.
quote:Original post by Argus
Posted by nonnus29 :
drawImage() has to have a reference to the component to be drawn on NULL won't work either.

No it doesn't. He passed a graphics object in, which implies that it is created somewhere else. Whether it's created from an awt component or not is irrelevant - all graphics objects can draw images. His error was compile-time, not run-time so it isn't a problem with a null graphics object.

My bad, I guess you have a different implementation of Java than everyone else on the planet, in yours there *IS* a method drawImage that doesn't require a Image Observer and hence won't give a compile error when the wrong number and type of parameters are passed.

[edited by - nonnus29 on October 13, 2002 11:40:24 PM]
Oh so you finally figured out what was really wrong then.

Obviously since I posted the correct method form I must have known about it. Presumably you figured this out after posting, and had to edit your post which now just looks stupid.
Yes Null does work! (now if I can just get it to reference my image...)
I was wrong, Argus was right. I''m surprised you don''t get a NULL pointer exception when you run it though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement