• Create Account

[java] Java and Win2000

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hodglim   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 April 2000 - 02:57 AM

Hi, I know this topic isn''t strictly related to Java games programming, however I thought it might be interesting to hear from any developers out there who are developing software using Java on a Windows 2000 machine. Is anyone out there doing this?, and if so have they experienced any problems? What JDK''s have you tested? etc. The reason I ask is because I recently tried compiling and running an application I have written in Java on a Win2000 machine. It compiled fine however when I tried to run the application it hung the JVM, no error message, just froze up. When I run the application using Kawa''s (my Java IDE) debug mode it seemed the application was freezing when it got to a section of code that was using streams. So it would seem streams are flakey under Win2000. I haven''t really looked into this in any depth however, but it got me wondering what everyone elses experiences with Java and Win2000 are. It would be intersting to hear what people have to say! - Hodglim

Sponsor:

#2 iTCHY   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 April 2000 - 08:43 PM

I''ve had a similar experience, I got the white screen of death (WOD?) instead of blue so I guess Win2K is an improvement =)

This is probably tied to the 1.2.2 JVM that I''m using and my TNT2 drivers which ship with Win2K. I''m hoping to install new video drivers to see if its fixed.

Its annoying because it happens rarely but when it does its usually when I''m doing something important =(

Anyway I''ll give my new drivers a try and post something if it works.

- iTCHY

#3 Jim_Ross   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 April 2000 - 02:37 AM

you should post anyways so we know you''re still alive.

#4 iwasbiggs   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 April 2000 - 09:59 PM

Better question:

What version of windows can run java without crashing?
only my 4 year old Win ''95.

(windows + java) != run_fine;

#5 iTCHY   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 April 2000 - 11:55 AM

Ok I''ve tried the latest drivers for my TNT2 card and it appears to have improved the rate of crashes. I''ve managed to continuosly develop my Java project with not a single crash for a total of about 8 hours. I usually get one crash an hour so this is good.

I''m not using any fancy IDE at this stage, just UltraEdit.

I''m also using Win2K Pro.

- iTCHY

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS