3d game art

Started by
19 comments, last by Patch 23 years, 11 months ago
So what 3D art programs do you lot use, because I have only just got into 3D and haven''t yet found anything decent.
**************************using windows is one step away from using a brick wall****************************
Advertisement
I use blender, which was originally made for linux and is at www.blender.nl and 3D Studio MAX which is my favorite which I got ...from a store.

"When people tell you they want to hear the truth, you know that their lying."
i like trueSpace from caligari. it''s cheaper than most anything and it is fairly powerful, especially the latest version, 4. it is really easy to use as well, so it''s good for beginners.

<(o)>
<(o)>
I use Poser4, Bryce4, Canoma, and Vue2. Poser can really be as good as Character Studio IF you use high-quality textures. Bryce and Vue are great of nature stuff and basic modelling and Canoma handles all man-made models.

Although I''d rather have 3DSMAX, I''d recommend the above products if you don''t have enough $$ or you find it too complex.

Alex
Atypical Interactive
www.atypical-interactive.com
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
Max 2.5 or 3.1
I''m a fan of TrueSpace. It''s has some limitations but only when you reach the outer limits of what can be done. Cheaper price and there''s some good support out there on the web. I also picked up a _cheap_ version TrueSpace 3/SE(Special Edition - some things not in it) There''s a strong forum I hang out at
The Delphi TrueSpaceForum

Even if you choose another 3D modeller check out the delphi: they seem to have monitored stuff.
I have a list on my web-page of some 3D resources. Pretty good if I do say so myself.

ZoomBoy

A 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure.
See my character editor, Tile editor and diary at
Check out my web-site
I''ve also recently been learning 3D art/animation. Before I bought my 3D program I searched hundreds of game developers job pages and computer job listings and I found that 3D Studio MAX is by far the most required if a program is listed. There may be several programs, but MAX is nearly always included. I have been very happy with it, and have yet to hear something bad about it. The resources for learning it are immense, with hundreds and hundreds of tutorials, books, plug-ins, and sites. It is more costly than others such as Truespace, but I got the educational version (still full version) for only $1000 including Character Studio and Painter 3D by Metacreations at www.JourneyED.com . You can upgrade it to the retail version for another $2000.
I suck at drawing and all but I use RayDream 3d simply because I got it as a gift. Its fairly easy I think, to design models. I''ve tried Truespace but found it to complex and confusing.
HAHAHA I have noticed something. Whatever 3D package a person learns on they seem to try to stick to no matter what. Perfect Example: TureSpace confusing and complex....hahaha...snort...hehe. TureSpace has to be on e of the easiest and most user freindly packages out there. The only reason I stopped using it and moved onto 3D studio Max is cause Max got a "cleaner" interface.

To the original poster:
It honestly does not matter what package you use, they all do the same things (as far as basic modeling goes). You might have to perform a couple of extra steps per package to get the same effects but, whatever you are trying to do, you can do it. My advice to you is to pick up a cheap package or soemthing free (blender or TrueSpace 2,3 S/E, or what ever). Or if you are a student you can get higher priced packages for CHEAP! Examples : Rhino 99.00, 3D Max 3.0 + Char Studio 800.00, etc....

Good Luck finding something you like.

Job description : Duct Tape
Job description : Duct Tape
I''m in my last year of high school and also want to get into the games industry as an artist. I just got TrueSpace 1 which has been released for free and I found it a good introduction to 3D modeling. That''s my recomendation.

--------------------------"640K ought to be enough for anybody."-Bill Gates 1981

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement