• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Making Models

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 McCade   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 April 2000 - 07:49 AM

I would like to try making up some models to use in my code, but I am a poor programmer paying back my student loans and can not afford the program 3D Studio are there any programs that are close to the quality but much less harsh on the pocket book? Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 sc0rpy   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 April 2000 - 08:16 AM

Well, since I am clueless when it comes to art.. (translation: even stick men elude me) I''m not much of an expert to what is good and what isn''t good.. but I did notice a link to this modeller and opengl.org also had a link to how to read it''s model files aswell.

http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/andy/ac3d.html

It''s called AC3D. hope you find it useful. I tried it but all I could make was spaghetti polygons..

#3 McCade   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 April 2000 - 03:01 AM

Thanks for your help. I will try it out.

#4 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 18 April 2000 - 05:31 AM

You can even try anim8or

Think it can be found on

www.anim8or.com

#5 sigmaent   Members   -  Reputation: 146

Posted 18 April 2000 - 06:10 AM

I have noticed recently that alot of Magazines are including commercial programs(not demos). I saw in one Swedish magazine that they where including Truespace 3 SE.
But i have also seen that Computer Arts has been including it.

Good Luck!

#6 McCade   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 April 2000 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for all the information.

#7 sixb0nes   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 April 2000 - 02:30 AM

use some 'web intuition' and search a little.

try Softseek's 3D section .. a pretty good place to start - or try other 'shareware' depots like downloads.com or tucows.com.

/sixb0nes

Edited by - sixb0nes on 4/20/00 8:31:33 AM

#8 sc0rpy   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 April 2000 - 05:49 PM

And on the topic of modelling.. I just want to say you 3d artist types.. I envy you buggers since I find modelling 10000x times harder than coding.. damn these triangles, I know what I want but I''ll be damned if I can create it.

I wonder if more beer would help.

#9 sixb0nes   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 April 2000 - 01:58 AM

try some wussian wodka.. works well.

/sixb0nes

#10 a2k   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 April 2000 - 05:53 AM

hey sc0rpy, it''s the opposite for me. i envy you coders. i''m trying my best, and i''ll get there, but the thing about 3d modelling that''s cool is, you get the results immediately. it''s pretty much WISYWIG. so, you get it''s immediate rewards, and you can just keep on movin''.
i love that stuff.

a2k

#11 sixb0nes   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 April 2000 - 01:21 PM

sc0rp,

you and i both know how difficult it is to find a -good- modeller. /sharpe/ was a good example. unfortunately the ones we''ve met seemed to have less pull to the computer as a whole, compared to us as coders. maybe we aren''t looking in the right place, eh?

as for your point a2k, coding mimics modelling in that fashion. seeing your work on-screen keeps you striving to improve upon your existing work.

/sixb0nes

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS