• Create Account

The Official Radeon Ad Thread

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
554 replies to this topic

#41 ragonastick   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 22 October 2002 - 11:21 PM

Just a thought. As much as many people are saying that they dislike the ad, in a way, it is ads like this which are going to keep things going (as has been stated). What I''m fearing is that potential advertisers will be discouraged from giving GameDev.net their hard earned money keeping this site alive. Sure, we have got this ad taking care of things for a while, but as has been stated, it is only temporary.

Personally, I think a good method might be to show a full page ad for a couple of seconds and then forward us the the real GameDev.net page and that is all we will see of the ad for the day. With my limited webpage knowledge, it could be made so it would work with all browsers, without any plug ins as long as people were allowing cookies... actually, maybe that would pose a problem. Bah, what would I know

If you weigh up what we are paying with what we are receiving, we have a pretty sweet deal. Before you go saying "I''ll never buy a radeon ever again.", consider that if a potential advertiser sees this, you might be the one to sway them into taking their business elsewhere leaving us nothing.

I realise that this post is hardly going to suddenly convert everyone to wanting to buy a radeon, but please consider the long term effects.

Perhaps we could form a list of possible ideas which would sit a bit better with people, for example, the sponsered skinning sounds like a good idea to me, not only would it help pay the bills, but it would give a nice bit of variety

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Sponsor:

#42 Ronin_54   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 October 2002 - 11:48 PM

I don''t mind the Radeon advertisement. I don''t really see the problem. It''s quite a novel approach, and since it helps gamedev, it''s fine with me.

Knowing that the number of times it is viewed counts, I''ll start to slow down with clicking to new pages (often I change before the add is loaded).

Oh, and if GameDev allows us to pay... not just paypal okay? Please ensure that there is also a way to wire-over the money or something (I don''t have a credit card, but I want to pay :D )

#43 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

Posted 23 October 2002 - 12:03 AM

Allright with making it a pay site, take into acount I dont earn dollars

4 Pesos = 1 Dollar

But NO green mocus then!

[edited by - xaxa on October 23, 2002 7:05:55 AM]

#44 Origin   Members   -  Reputation: 145

Posted 23 October 2002 - 12:06 AM

Thanks, Myopic Rhino, for this informative statement.

This thread is already three pages long and there are no flames or negative comments yet. My assumption still stands that if this statement had been posted right from the start (before launching the ad), all the irritation could have been avoided.

But better now than never.
I think this point is sufficiently clarified now.

#45 Vaporisator   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 October 2002 - 12:29 AM

Well, ad itself is (as some have said before) very weak! Why should I consider buying a Radeon after watching that?
Oh well, but I like that type of ads way more then those pup-up windows, because you don''t have to click it away...
So if it helps you paying the bills, then continue using that ad-type beyond november!

Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,
today we''re a step onward!

#46 Sandman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 2078

Posted 23 October 2002 - 12:59 AM

I would just like to say that the ad seems to have progressed from being an acceptable nuisance, to being extremely annoying.

Basically now it seems to crash IE every time I visit the forums, unless I can click on a topic fast enough to avoid loading it.

I appreciate that ads are needed to keep gamedev alive, but this is starting to take the piss.

#47 Oxyacetylene   Members   -  Reputation: 426

Posted 23 October 2002 - 01:41 AM

The ad is really annoying, but I lay the blame on ATI, not Gamedev. Gamedev needs the revenue, and it''s free.

Annoying as it is, I wouldn''t base my decision on what card to buy on an advert. (Although I prefer Nvidia anyway, as I''ve been doing some Nvidia specific OpenGL stuff recently, and want to continue doing that for a while.)

At the end of the day it''s still not annoying as spam anyways.

#48 Taulin   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 23 October 2002 - 02:01 AM

Gamedev could do that "membership = no advertisements" thingy some sites do (not saying which ones though..*cough*)

If Gamedev gets the search feature working again, I would be willing give about $5/month or so. I don''t spend a lot of time here (VS an MMORPG), but I don''t have to because the information (and making moderators angry) is so good!

#49 Airo   Members   -  Reputation: 191

Posted 23 October 2002 - 02:14 AM

I don''t like the add but it''s oke with me if i just saw it once.

I''m afraid that with the paid membership the new articles that come out are not free to view anymore.

I hope there will be two versions. One free with adds and one paid with no adds and that that''s the only difference.

#50 nick316   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 23 October 2002 - 02:43 AM

FFS people, if you don''t like the ad send an email to ATI
saying the ad bothers you and you just purchased an nvidia card.

#51 SilentReaper   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 October 2002 - 02:44 AM

How is ATI tracking whether or not this ad is working? Do they even care? This is what puzzles me the most. The only thing that happens when you click the ad is you are getting sent to www.ati.com -- not some specialized "Welcome to ATI, GameDev users" page -- and I'm sure past that they don't track to see if you actually bought a product from them. The only thing I can think of is that they track the HTTP_REFER(R?)ER browser variable although in some browsers you can turn off sending this variable.

Ads work when there is motivation to buy. And as this ad gives us no extra motivation, it should just be a plain banner ad like the rest we're used to seeing. It's poor judgment on ATI's part to have designed a very intrusive, in-your-face ad without some sort of special promotional pricing. Even if it was only $50 discount or so, that would motivate me to buy from them vs. a pricewatch or pricegrabber type of place.

I'd use Mozilla if it weren't for the fact that they are depending on a certain # of views before the end of November. Mypoic Rhino, how are we doing so far with the # of hits? Are we on target or do I need to set up a Scheduler task for my 5 PC's to visit the main site once a minute?

[edited by - SilentReaper on October 23, 2002 9:46:09 AM]

#52 LordLethis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 October 2002 - 03:15 AM

I want to see this ad!! This threads are annoying me, because it doesn''t show up at all.
I really do not know why, but I never saw this ad.
Is this error I always get with this (Error in line 4, char 5)??
Or is it that it doesn''t show up if you''re using an ATI card??

#53 SilentReaper   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 October 2002 - 03:30 AM

quote:
Original post by LordLethis
I want to see this ad!! This threads are annoying me, because it doesn''t show up at all.

Go check out the other 20 threads on this and check out the screenshots people took.

#54 Mithrandir   Members   -  Reputation: 607

Posted 23 October 2002 - 03:44 AM

I just got bombarded with a new one; lasts 20 seconds and has no X on it, so I can''t stop it.

It spits goo-balls over the screen from what I assume is a gun; it''s slow, and its even bigger than the first one.

On top of all of that, when it was completed, the old one played right after it!

That''s it, time to disable flash.

#55 IFooBar   Members   -  Reputation: 906

Posted 23 October 2002 - 03:47 AM

ok. after reading about this topic a few times over here. and now seeing this official announcement thing. im starting to get a little curious....

well...

WHERE THE HECK IS THIS ADD???? I WANT to see it ???

are you talking about that long white strip that dosnt load up on the side of the forum? or is there something else im missing?

"I know sometimes I ask stupid questions...but i mean well "
[Triple Buffer-My home]|[SCRIPTaGAME]|[My Old Site]

#56 Mithrandir   Members   -  Reputation: 607

Posted 23 October 2002 - 03:54 AM

quote:
Original post by alfmga

WHERE THE HECK IS THIS ADD???? I WANT to see it ???

come over to my house; I get it EVERY SINGLE time I''m not inside a thread page.

#57 EDI   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 2297

Posted 23 October 2002 - 04:01 AM

This site has helped me imeasurably with my game development skills,

and this is a way that i can give some back=)

Raymond Jacobs,
Profesional Web Applications Developer,
Weekend Game Developer,
www.EtherealDarkness.com

#58 Ronin_54   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 October 2002 - 04:11 AM

For the people who were a bit fearfull of Memberships:

quote:
As I''ve said before, if we go that route, you will not have to start paying for things you get now for free (with the possible exception of hosting and bandwidth via the GDShowcase).

It''s from the first post. Articles and forum access will remain free. The only thing that is free now, and might become membership-only, is the Showcase. Probably because it eats quite a bit of bandwidth. But not everyone uses that Showcase either.

Paid Membership would simply give you the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing that you are helping GameDev.net to survive ^_^ (and I''ve heard from some (un)reliable sources that the forum software might get fun little extra options that are unlocked with a membership )

#59 eldee   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 October 2002 - 04:53 AM

"how to get rid of annoying ads for dummies"
- by eldee

1.) stop whining and dry your tears.
2.) open your browser
3.) type in ''www.mozilla.org'' (or click here)
4.) download and install mozilla
5.) open mozilla
6.) go to edit>preference and expand the ''advanced'' tab
7.) go to scripts and plugins and uncheck the box that says "allow sites to open unrequested pages"
8.) live happily ever after
9.)[optional] torch your IE installation and dance naked around your computer chair.

the end.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

#60 CWizard   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 23 October 2002 - 05:04 AM

First, I very much dislike advertisements like that. Second, of what I understand, the fuzz is not so much about critizing GameDev or their actions, nor very much about bashing ATI, but that people who are against this type of intrusive ads in principle are expressing their feelings about where the world is coming to, and in some desperate notion hope that God will hear them and restore earth to normal order.

I usually pay more attention to the content of banners than the content of popups and overlays etc (in my opinion "spam" ads). When I see a "spam" ad, I will instinctivly ignore it and get rid of it as fast as I can. Normal banners, I do usually glance at, to see what they are about; I don't want to know what "spam" ads are about.

I think ATI/GameDev could have used the user base here much more, if they would have considered more the mentality of the good ol' regular GameDev visitor. (Warning: now daring my undefined marketing skills! )

An example would be to write a Featured Article about Radeon cards and putting it on the front page (I always look there to see if there is any new interesting article), going in depths about its features, shaders, gpu, circuitry, coolings, the creation process, and all other tech things that we all are soft for. This would be much better:
- Not annoying; wouldn't incite hatred towards them (ATI).
- I would gladly, without hesitation, sit down and spend 15, 30 or 60 minutes reading about ATI/Radeon (especially if it contains diagrams of the board etc), rather than spending a few minutes every day closing that "thing".
- You would actually learn something about the product advertised. If it's a good product, people like us are more likely to understand that.
- We would actually be glad to see it coming
- If there would be a frequent normal banner around, we wouldn't forget about the article, and the banners would remind us what we read about.

EDIT: grammars and speling

---------------------------------------------
"VB is a disease"

[edited by - CWizard on October 23, 2002 12:09:44 PM]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS