• Create Account

Voice over networked link.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Tarique   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 19 April 2000 - 04:25 AM

As mentioned in my other post, I have linked 2 PC''s using DirectPlay (DX7.0) so that 2 players can share the same VR environment. This all works fine over all the session types available (IPX, TCP & Modem). I have also coded full duplex audio (based on one of the examples that comes with DX7) using circular buffers) Basically, I sample the voice from the microphone input at 8K/8Bit/Mono and every 512 bytes a notify event occurs. At this point I send a network packet with this data to the other PC (Actually, I only send 256 bytes - every other sample). Once this packet is received on the other machine I take this data and stick it into the circular play buffer. This all seems to work fine over a LAN link (ie. there is enough bandwidth to cope with this info as well as the player data). However, over an ISDN 64K link, it runs like a dog! Even though it runs fine over LAN, I get echo''s of the sampled speech which get quiter. Not sure what''s going on here. Is there any other way I can compress the voice data before sending it to the other machine? Or any other method I should use? I''ve looked around for info on this for a couple of days, but haven''t really found much. I need to have this app working over an ISDN link between 2 PC''s with voice, but am having grave bandwidth problems! I don''t know much about compression, bandwidth problems, etc. This was a first pass to see if it would work. Any help on this would be most appreciated. Cheers, Taz. --------------------------------- Tarique Naseem Technical Director Maelstrom Virtual Productions Ltd. http://www.maelstrom.com

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS