C++ Debugger

Started by
8 comments, last by jaros_21 21 years, 5 months ago
I''ve been programming for about 4 or 5 years off and on in vc++ and have never bothered to use the Debugger. I''m tired of this! Can anyone point me in the right direction to a site or tutorial that explains how to use it and/or how to set up a workspace in VC++ 6 that will debug. The reason for this quest is because everytime I try using the debug to watch a variable, msdev crashes. Thanx in advance.
JaRoS_21
Advertisement
I second this request...I have NO idea how to use the dern debugger, ad I''m sure it would be useful..especially to track down this one stupid bug in my code.

Thanks!

Trakkur
=========

Never try to argue with an idiot, they''ll only pull you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
Never try to argue with an idiot, they'll only pull you down to their level...and beat you with experience.
I''ve been searching and mucking around with the debugger for most of the day, and it still crashes on me. I wonder if its because I''m using a DirectDraw initialized window? It seems to crash right after I insert a breakpoint on a line of code and run the debugger. This is odd.

JaRoS
JaRoS
You are trying to debug a fullscreen DirectDraw application?

Faith. n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. -- Ambrose Bierce
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Yeah, is that bad ?

JaRoS
JaRoS
Well, if the application is fullscreen, how do you plan on seeing the debugger?

Faith. n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. -- Ambrose Bierce
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Well, I assumed I could alt-tab back...

So your saying Arild, because the window is fullscreen, that is why msdev crashes? I know that DDraw hogs almost all the resources, but I didn''t think it would cause msdev to crash?

JaRoS
JaRoS
If you''re planning on alt-tabbing back and forth, you''ll need to start worrying about lost devices in directdraw. Read the documentation on "lost devices".

I have a Wyse serial terminal I plug into my computer whenever I have to debug fullscreen, using a text-mode debugger. It works like a charm. Alternatively, debug in windowed mode.

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.
Thanx for the replies everyone. Very informative!

Lost devices, huh? I''ll check that out.

BTW- What is a wyse terminal? I''ve never heard of one?

JaRoS
JaRoS
Wyse Terminals

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement