Next contest thread

Started by
45 comments, last by lc_overlord 19 years, 11 months ago
Ok i thought it was about time to post this since NeHe asked for ideas for the next contest. I got two ideas 1. Xmas card - Your best computerized crismas eye candy. 2. Matrix 2&3 - just got to love em.
Advertisement
Something futuristic... matrix(reloaded&revolutions) is good one but would be nice if it would be more general... Year 7129

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
What about toys er something like that. Those demos are always so fun to watch and create to :-þ

Bessi
How about making the best driving game ....
I suggest that for the next contest you allow entries without source code. I know that you all want to learn from those demos, but there could be a special category for those entrants just for honnor (no prize, or prize if you want ).

Also if that was too hard to mix the two categories at the same time you could make one each two ?

www.mpw2002.fr.st
www.mpw2002.fr.st
quote:Year 7129

What about 7131? That''ll be a good year.

I would enjoy any of the ideas listed.

Here is another idea: character animation.

You create a character and animate it. It could be a cat, a human, Wallace and Gromit, whatever. The person who creates the best character animation would win. I''ve noted that this is one of the most difficult things to achieve, nice smooth character movements, along with an effective looking model.

You could have it speak, run, jump, etc.

How bout the best mod on NeHe''s Zelda. This would make a neat prize:

http://www.songbirdocarina.com/zelda.html
I like John''s idea, create a model, not using 3DS max or any other commercial modeling software. then animate it. The most expressive wins.
quote:
not using 3DS max or any other commercial modeling software

Why no commercial software?

I can guss you ment because:
-it would make the contest harder and give it substance
-it would force us to develop our own formats and animation systems

I curious why you dont want it

If we did have commercial software we would get better looking models (i bet you most would be downloaded) and we would get right to the "meat and potatoes" of animation. That is, we would all be focusing on smooth animations along with an animation managment system. We could also focus on developing effects like Foreward and Inverse Kinematics, which would generaly improve all of our demos.

However, i dont think we should focus on one aspect (regardless of how needed it is). We should make the contest as diverse as possible so that we would get more applicants and learn to do as many things as possible from the entries.
well, I figured if commercial apps were allowed, people would just use an existing model and animate it, essentially taking the short cut. Maybe there''s merit in focusing purely on the animation but then the competition is just who can use 3Ds Max or Milkshape the best. Is there someway to encourage innovation in modeling and animation ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement