Protocol Speeds?

Started by
30 comments, last by Synth0id 21 years, 4 months ago
Hey guys, I''ve settled on using .NET Remoting for my distributed objects in the MMOG networking engine I''m creating. So with that said, as you may know .NET remoting allows for 2 default protocols: HTTP and TCP, for which to communicate objects back and forth between client and server and they both allow binary transfer. My question is which protocol is faster? Is one just plain faster than the other or does it depend on teh situation in which its used? I know the pro''s and con''s of both for most everything but speed, so hopefully someone can help me in this aspect so that I can make my final decision on which to inherantly use in my engine. Thanks in advance! Synth0id
There is no point in doing anything at all, you'll die pretty soon anyway.
Advertisement
er.. http runs on top of tcp
ummm.. HTTP is HyperText Transfer Protocol. It is used for webpages. I dont think it would be good for a game.
You are going to do a networking engine and you can''t tell the difference between the two? better read first try this book: "Computer Networking: a topdown approach featuring the internet" ROSS,Keith et al isbn 0-201-47711-4.
quote:Original post by Synth0id
Hey guys,

I''ve settled on using .NET Remoting for my distributed objects in the MMOG networking engine I''m creating.

I do not beleive it! What is the world coming to? The guy is going to write a MMOG networking ENGINE and asks a question that reveals knows nothing about networking The World cannot progress with things like this. Before trying to do that please go read a book or something.
Umm...I believed that TCP was faster but my intent was to double check, no harm in making sure. The book that I have: Advanced .NET Remoting for VB.NET uses HTTP mostly. I wanted to get a better understanding of what would be better in this scenario speed wise. Yes I know the difference between the 2 but I don't FOR SURE know which is faster.

There is obviously a reason why its an option in the .NET Remoting framework. I was curious as to whether it is side-by-side faster or not. Has anybody done tests? Anybody know for a fact?

And so everybody knows...this is a learning experience for me. So don't get your panites in a bunch, everyone asks "stupid" questions sometimes.

"Before trying to do that please go read a book or something."
Find me one that tells you how to program a MMOG net engine and I will gladly pick it up.

Its funny how unhelpful this community is at times. Out of the 4 responses so far, none of them have answered my question...interesting.

EDIT: Maybe i should have asked this instead...is there that much of a difference in speed between HTTP and TCP to make it a design concern?

[edited by - Synth0id on November 27, 2002 6:42:01 PM]
There is no point in doing anything at all, you'll die pretty soon anyway.
as previously mentioned HTTP runs on top of TCP. thus it _must_ be slower, yes? also, AKIAK, using a system like .NET or MFC tends to be frowned upon for game development because there is a MASSIVE amount of overhead that will strip away at your framerate (though i don't pretend to know anything about .NET...).

AFIAK (again), the best thing to do for a MMPORG is to roll your own info transfer protocol using a blend of UDP and TCP. aka learn sockets. it's not really that hard.

but.....if you are going to go w/ .NET anyway, you should use straight TCP b/c i'm fairly sure it is more flexible in what you can send.

-me

[edited by - Palidine on November 27, 2002 6:47:25 PM]
Umm...I believed that TCP was faster but my intent was to double check, no harm in making sure. The book that I have: Advanced .NET Remoting for VB.NET uses HTTP mostly. I wanted to get a better understanding of what would be better in this scenario speed wise. Yes I know the difference between the 2 but I don''t FOR SURE know which is faster.

Ex:
What is faster between a train and a post office, when post-office uses the train to transport the mail?

Is it possible for the post-office to deliver faster than the train goes?
Umm...I believed that TCP was faster but my intent was to double check, no harm in making sure. The book that I have: Advanced .NET Remoting for VB.NET uses HTTP mostly. I wanted to get a better understanding of what would be better in this scenario speed wise. Yes I know the difference between the 2 but I don''t FOR SURE know which is faster.

Ex:
What is faster between a train and a post office, when post-office uses the train to transport the mail?

Is it possible for the post-office to deliver faster than the train goes?

HTTP travels with the help of TCP. Just like the mail travels with the train.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement