• Create Account

tank wars and/or 3d studio max question

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 Popper_Demi   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 April 2000 - 06:28 AM

hello there. i was wondering if anybody knows where i can aquire the cource code to tank wars in c++, would be very cool to recreate this game with openGL graphics...also where might i be able to find tutorials on importing 3ds models for use in openGL.....thnx ~Popper_Demi

Sponsor:

#2 sc0rpy   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 April 2000 - 06:44 AM

don''t know anything about ''tank wars''

check opengl.org for code on reading 3ds files, last week there was an article on how to read in and display 3ds files with opengl

#3 Popper_Demi   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 April 2000 - 11:12 AM

allrite thnx for the 3ds info....tankwars is an old dos game where 2 tanks lobb projectiles over hills....ne one remember this game? u can download it here -> ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/gamesdomain/shareware/misc/bomb32.zip , and it can be played online in java format at: twars.com

a source is provided in java tho...so it doesnt do me much good

#4 Sphet   Members   -  Reputation: 631

Posted 26 April 2000 - 11:15 AM

"a source is provided in java tho...so it doesnt do me much good.."

Java and C++.. what''s so different?

#5 max621   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 April 2000 - 01:35 PM

Ahh yes that ole game =). Would be very cool to remake it in OpenGL, very cool.

#6 AnalGoat   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 April 2000 - 01:38 PM

Never heard of tank wars, but from your description it sounds alot like a game called "Nukes3D" the Biggins (a coder from MIT) was working on a while back. His site is at http://biggins.mit.edu/ this game is in DOS, but if it''s similar to what you''re talking about he might give you the source code. Cheers!

#7 Popper_Demi   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 April 2000 - 05:52 AM

heh, thnx for the link, this guy seems to have had a similar idea of what i had in mind, and he did a damn good job of making it a reality, but alas..there is no source, and the game must be registered

#8 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 28 April 2000 - 08:24 AM

If tank wars is what i am thinking it is then it isnt very complicated, why not do a complete re-write: you might even learn something that way!!!!!

#9 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 03 May 2000 - 06:37 AM

thats that crappy game schmick made.

#10 drago   Members   -  Reputation: 150

Posted 03 May 2000 - 08:27 AM

I remember that game as Bomb (maybe even Bomb 3D)... anyways would be very cool if someone did a remake in OpenGL, in full 3d and that you can overview the "battlefield" by flying over it ;-) just a couple of thoughts..

----------
Drago, VerSoft

#11 RandomJon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 May 2000 - 09:21 AM

If there''s already a java implementation why not implement an OpenGL version using GL4Java?
Java is a lot nicer language than c++ anyway....
no worry about handling pointers etc...
Hurrah for Java!

check out my shadows prog at
http://www.randomjon.redhotant.com

#12 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 03 May 2000 - 11:42 AM

java is for people who don''t understand the point....ers

#13 max621   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 May 2000 - 12:21 PM

I don''t think this would be too hard to make. If we maybe asked to use glUfo''s source code for like terrain rendering all the grapichal stuff... and than put in loading stuff.. and camera.. etc. It wouldnt be hard..

#14 Bracket   Members   -  Reputation: 240

Posted 03 May 2000 - 12:40 PM

Sounds like Scorched Earth, the scourge of college networks everywhere when I was in school! I love that game. Simple, utterly addictive, and a great way to spend an evening. When Worms came out, its exactly the same game - but with cutesy graphics and no nuclear weapons (IIRC).....

A 3D accelerated version could be really neat. Going into full 3D might also be fun, although it would risk becoming too complicated to be a beer and pretzels type of game!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS