• Create Account

Alpha channel

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bunnz   Members   -  Reputation: 126

Posted 26 April 2000 - 08:58 AM

Currently I''m working with Adobe Photoshop 5.5! Is there a way to manipulate the alpha channel? I know i can add an output channel, but that''s not exactly what I want! - Cause I want to be able to access the alpha channel (for every layer if it''s possible)- for direct manipulation and also to store it -> for 2d-Engine! perhaps an plug-in or something similar exists? other ways, ... Thanks Bunnz

Sponsor:

#2 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3338

Posted 26 April 2000 - 11:53 PM

Have you tried switching to the Channels palette, and selecting Add New Channel? I believe that is set up as the alpha channel by default.

#3 Bunnz   Members   -  Reputation: 126

Posted 27 April 2000 - 02:07 AM

Yeah I''ve tried, but the added channel is a new "output" alpha channel which is used to change the final output! I can''t manipulate a channel for a special layer.
Moreover the added channel doesn''t shows the current state of the pic! It''s a new empty one!!!

Bunnz

#4 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3338

Posted 27 April 2000 - 03:33 AM

quote:
Original post by Bunnz

Yeah I''ve tried, but the added channel is a new "output" alpha channel which is used to change the final output! I can''t manipulate a channel for a special layer.
Moreover the added channel doesn''t shows the current state of the pic! It''s a new empty one!!!

Well, most images have no alpha info so they would start off as empty, no? Have you tried loading in a graphic which you know to have alpha info stored in it? The TGA format seems to preserve the alpha channel which I add in this way, but I admit I''ve only played around with it for a couple of minutes. Remember that an alpha channel is just the same as an red green or blue channel - if your image format doesn''t store layers, then you will just get 1 alpha channel the same as all the other channels. However, if you want to adjust alpha for just one layer, I think you''d have to use an adjustment layer. But that doesn''t save in any basic bitmap format that I know of, and therefore won''t be much use to your 2D engine before you render it.

#5 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 27 April 2000 - 07:29 AM

Hrmph - I am only using 5.0, but when I add a new channel, the default setting is Alpha1.

Maybe I''ll delay upgrading to 5.5 a little longer, then.

$0.02

#6 dog135   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 April 2000 - 09:10 AM

Do you want to store it to get a mask of your character? If so, you can export to GIF, or PNG and see what the mask is for that.

As a final solution, you could just program your engine to be able to read in Photoshop files. Perhaps even convert them to your own format. I have a few graphics programs that will read in Photoshop files so the format must be out there somewhere.

E:cb woof!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS