UO clone

Started by
8 comments, last by Verminaard 23 years, 11 months ago
my brother and i are working on a UO clone, using UO graphics but having a much different skill system with guilds and more. it will be networked and everything. the engine has already been partly written (you can walk around a map). ill post a url when i make a homepage for it.
-------------I am a Juggalo.
Advertisement
Are you going to use the ACTUAL UO gfx or are you gonna make gfx that looks like it?

========================
Game project(s):
www.fiend.cjb.net
=======================Game project(s):www.fiend.cjb.net
Isn''t it illegal to use their graphics?

They sued a fan site when they posted artwork from Ultima Online 2. But that was confidential information...
sorry, this was supposed to be posted under that "what game are you working on?" post.

Yeah we''re using the actual UO graphics. There are a bunch that are never used. The game''s gonna be free, so i dont see how they can have a problem with it.
Well, if you''re distributing original game content (regardless of whether they actually used it), they could jump on you. There are other alternatives, too, like making a tool that would convert/copy the original game''s artwork over to your clone.

- Defiant
http://www.flyingtemple.com
- Defianthttp://www.flyingtemple.com
Please don''t fall into the common trap of thinking that just because your game is free that they won''t mind. If you were trying to make a living selling something, then someone else was able to duplicate your output and sell it for free, you''d be unhappy as you''d be losing potential income. I expect they would ask you to stop if they found out, and maybe threaten legal action if you refused.
Being free doesn''t change the fact that they will nail you. Since the copyrights are registered your''re looking at statutory damges, which I believe are $25,000 per violation.
I totally agree, don''t use a single pixel of Origin''s stuff.
If they found out you distributed it I SERIOUSLY doubt they would take to kindly to you regardless of the fact your game is free.

Sieggy
okok, you''ve all convinced me. so...anyone want to make some graphics for me? hehe.
I wish I did! I''m doing am iso RPG and am artist lacking at the moment.

Sieggy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement