What versions of DX come with Windows?

Started by
8 comments, last by nathany 23 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I know that WinNT comes with DirectX 2 and is updated to v3 by installing SP3+ and that DPlay is upgraded a couple times with further SPs (DPlay 6.1a with SP5) But what I''m wondering is, what versions of Direct X come preinstalled with: Windows 95 Windows 98 Windows 98 Second Edition Someone will probably ask me why I''m asking, so here goes: I''m thinking about making small, fun little games which can be played by newbies and distributed easily. What I don''t necessarily do is develop for DirectX 7/8 and require that everyone has to download the latest DX runtime, which is 2-3x larger than the game itself. It''s just a thought, I may change my mind as I get to know the version differences better. But thanks to anyone who knows the answer to the above question, or specifically where to find it. - n8 nathany.com
Advertisement
Win95: DX 4/5
Win98: DX 6
Win98 SE: DX 6/7
------------------------------"My sword is like a menacing cloud, but instead of rain, blood will pour in its path." - Sehabeddin, Turkish Military Commander 1438.
i found it by plaing Starcraft

1.First i had Win95...and i had to install DX5 to play..
so Win95 has DX4(or DX3 ?) anyway
2.Second i upgrade to Win98...and game works with no DX install
so Win98 has DX5 installed but anyway
3. I try it on WinNT 4.0 (no SP) and i had to install DX5 to make it work
so win NT 4.0 has DX4 (or DX3 ?) anyway
hope this help
obysoft
Ooops

is this forum program cutting my "<" sign ?

there was "< DX5"
"< DX6.1" after those anyway there...

sorry
obysoft
Hm.
Well there was no DX4 [released], so Win95 must be DX3... but perhaps even older than that?

6.x with Win98 sounds about right. Chances are I will either target 3 or 7/8 so the exact version of this one isn't that important.

bogdanontanu: the forum supports HTML, so it probably is chopping your < > signs. Try using < or > instead.

A related question: does anyone know what version of DirectX for WinCE 3.0 supports [i.e. Pocket PC]. I think it's probably 6.x, but I'm not sure.

- n8

nathany.com

Edited by - nathany on 5/1/00 9:16:49 PM
Hey dude,
I thought of doing this once. You''d be better off boning up on Device Independent Bitmaps. You can make a DIB ''surface'' and then put all your sprites on it, and then dump that to a window''s background without using directX at all. Then you can use wavemix.dll to do sounds.

If you''re interested, I have some examples. The first windows game I did was this way. It runs at okay speed, as long as you don''t stretch the DIB, and even then it runs okay as long as you stretch it by a power of two.

If you''re just doing some simple games, like old arcade simulations or something, this would be a good way to go.

-- Goodlife

-----------------------------
Think of your mind as a door on a house. Leave the door always closed, and it's not a house, it's a prison. Leave the door always open, and it's not a house, it's a wilderness-- all the vermin creep in.
-- Goodlife-----------------------------Those whom the gods would destroy, they first drive mad.--DirectX design team official motto
Actually...

Win95 does not come with DirectX what s ever it has to be installed.

Win98 comes with DX 5 installed.

and NT4 with sp3 has minimal Dx3.
Hardcore Until The End.
Windows CE Direct X is a special flavour.... not much has been released about it yet. But here''s what I know:-

- Only DDraw and DSound.

Errr.... guess I don''t know anything much actually...

Well I''m keeping my eye on this actually, very interested on this topic.

-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
quote:Original post by voodoo
Actually...
Win95 does not come with DirectX what s ever it has to be installed.
Win98 comes with DX 5 installed.
and NT4 with sp3 has minimal Dx3.

Thanks!

Goodlife: Not so much simple games as small games. I entered into the gamedev.net contest a game called SHMUP which is using DX3, but it has scrolling and such. I don''t think I want to try scrolling in GDI. That was 2 days of coding... if I completed a game like that it would be kind of what I''m after.

I''m thinking "Inbox games" that people can mail around. Having a 1MB game that requires a 6MB DirectX runtime seems a bit lame. If I decide to go with bigger games though, than I will probably target DX8 (1st beta is almost ready).

One important question with all this though. I know DirectDraw hasn''t been enhanced much over the years. But what about the other components, esp. sound/music?

Anyway, I still haven''t decided what to do, but thanks for all the help everyone!

- n8

nathany.com
quote:Original post by Marauderz
Windows CE Direct X is a special flavour.... not much has been released about it yet. But here''s what I know:-
- Only DDraw and DSound.
Errr.... guess I don''t know anything much actually...
Well I''m keeping my eye on this actually, very interested on this topic.

Well, I know that WinCE 3 has support for DirectX... and that DreamCast uses WinCE/DirectX 6.x. And also that the dev tools will be free.

Theoretically one could write a cross-platform game by using a subset of windows and a given version of DirectX or whatever subset WinCE supports. Sounds kind of interesting...

- n8

nathany.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement