• Create Account

Way to draw cylinder from coord to coord?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mike00   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 May 2000 - 11:19 AM

Is there a way to draw a cylinder by telling it the coordinates of where to start drawing and where to stop, instead of having to draw it, then rotate? Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 goltrpoat   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 May 2000 - 11:32 AM

i''m sorry, but.. WHAT??

--
Float like a butterfly, bite like a crocodile.

#3 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 03 May 2000 - 11:47 AM

check out the primitives in glut

#4 Mike00   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 May 2000 - 02:32 PM

I''ll eloborate:

Right now, when I use Nehe''s quadratic tutorial to draw cylinders, I have to glTranslatef to somewhere, then draw it. It''s always straight (horizontal) though, so to get it diagonal, I have to rotate it after. I want a way to just say: start drawing at xyz, then finish drawing at xyz. So I can tell it where to draw both ends....

And what''s this about primitives in glut? Thanks!

#5 ga   Members   -  Reputation: 126

Posted 04 May 2000 - 03:42 AM

You mean you''ve given the center line of the cylinder with the end vertices of this line, A and B, and you''ve given the radius r?
I haven''t read Nehe''s tutorial, I don''t know how Nehe draws a cylinder, but I can tell you how I do:
For the parametric cylinder description with the parameters s and t, firstly you need the direction vector of the cylinder, which is v = B-A. Then you''ll need two vectors perpendicular to each other and perpendicular to v. You could get one of the perpendicular vectors, n1, with n1.x=-v.y, n1.y = v.x and n1.z = 0. For the second one, n2, you need the cross product: n2 = v x n1
Now we''ve got the equation: x(s,t) = A + v*s + r*sin(t)*n1 + r*cos(t)*n2
where x(s,t) is a vertex of the cylinder surface. Let s run from 0 to 1 and t from 0 to 2*PI to get the vertices.

Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.st

GA

#6 ga   Members   -  Reputation: 126

Posted 04 May 2000 - 03:44 AM

I forgot to say that you must normalize n1 and n2:
n1 = n1/sqrt(n1.x^2+n1.y^2+n1.z^2)
n2 = n2/sqrt(n2.x^2+n2.y^2+n2.z^2)

Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.st

GA

#7 Mike00   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 04 May 2000 - 07:44 AM

Hmmm, well in Nehe''s tutorial, you just say the length, radius at start, radius at end, and number of faces.... You have to translate to tell it where to draw. So I was wondering if I could tell it coordinates to start and end at instead.... I''ll try to figure out what you said though

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS