multi-platform api's

Started by
5 comments, last by tantus 23 years, 11 months ago
i am looking for some multiplatform api''s, i need to do sound and mouse input, i will most likely use OpenGL for the Display. The language of prefrence is C, as i would like to cut down on as much redundant code as i can. any and all help is appreciated, -Tantus.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by tantus
i am looking for some multiplatform api''s, i need to do sound and mouse input, i will most likely use OpenGL for the Display. The language of prefrence is C, as i would like to cut down on as much redundant code as i can.

You might start by telling everyone what platforms you intend to target

I think if you can find a multi-platform sound engine, doing the input yourself wouldn''t be too tough. The other big nasty one is networking for multi-player, but sounds like you don''t need that.

There is an article on Gamasutra that you would find useful: Simultaneous Cross-Platform Game Development.

Sorry, I don''t actually know of any APIs....

Hope this helps,

- n8

nathany.com
BZFlag has sound, mouse, network, and graphics support, and it supports Windows 95/98/NT/2000, Irix, Linux for i386 and PPC, and Solaris. It also is completely open source, so you might want to take a look there.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away"--Henry David Thoreau
Maybe you could take a look at SDL (it''s under the LGPL license) (http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/projects/SDL/index.html)

I''ve used it before and I think it is really great. (it''s even used by some commercial games ported to Linux by Loki)
sorry guys.

intended operating systems are the normals
linux, win (of course), mac, and possibly be.

again guys, thanks for the help.
Hi, I''ve been using ClanLib. (www.clanlib.org)

It''s Open Source (LGPL), supports Windows, Linux (fairly heavily), and Be. They''ve tweaked it so that you can use OpenGL with it fairly easily, and they are still working on improving it.

It''s in C++ though... (that and they haven''t finished Mac porting since no one on the list has a Mac)

Dark Lord Pi
Dark Lord Pi
For the mouse input, you might consider using GLUT (since you are using OpenGL already.) It provides nice, simple input methods for Windows, Linux, Mac, and maybe Be (I think.) If you need more info, just let me know. There was also an intereasting sound library called XAudio. I can''t seem to find the link and I haven''t used it yet, but it looked interesting and claims to be cross platform.

Check out the GPI project today!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement