• Create Account

Breaking into the biz

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

#1 Treize   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 May 2000 - 03:58 PM

I''ve been checking out xtreme games for a little while,and everyhting there seems to look good. So i was wondering does anyone on this board have any xtreme critism. Oh yeah does anyone know how much a regular game published by xtreme makes and a ball park figure on what the developer earns? Well well this is my sig ` Treize Khushrenada

Sponsor:

#2 Chrono999   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 May 2000 - 04:51 PM

I don''t think you''d want to spend your whole career their. But you got to do what you got to do. You''ll be a pioneer in the rock climbing genre

#3 Ibuku   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 07 May 2000 - 04:34 AM

Xtreme Games LLC is pretty much there for _very_ early beginners who ultimately want to get on a bundle pack. If you have alittle more experience, and arent making an arcade clone, try other publishers like eGames.com, Crystal Interactive, etc.

Ive read that most ''budget ware'' games sell between 10,000-100,000 units, ranging in about $10,000-100,000 for the value developer. Personally, that is where I am heading. Doing budget games in the best way to break into the industry.

---------------
Ibuku
AmaDev
www.amadev.net

#4 Treize   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 May 2000 - 12:04 PM

Thanks i just didnt want to start making a game sell it and then make 25 cents.

Well well this is my sig
` Treize Khushrenada

#5 Nazrix   Members   -  Reputation: 307

Posted 10 May 2000 - 01:45 PM

I''m currently working on an RPG. I was planning on sending it to crystal or egames when it''s completed. Although, do you think that they would be interested in an RPG game? I don''t see many games of that genre on their websites. Just curious....

#6 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 14 May 2000 - 08:18 AM

You don''t will earn $100.000 with a budget game! That''s NONSENSE. Where did you read that????????

You will earn about 10% (different by publisher)of the price that the distributor bought the game from the publisher, then if you have a bundle of 50 games and you have one game on it. You calculate 1/50 and then multiply with the number of your games you have on the collection (that''s 1).

Let say 10% of $5= $0,50
1/50=0.02* $0,50= $0,01 per unit
0,01* number of sold units
$0.01 * let say 100.000 after one year= $1000

(there is a requirement about the number of the minimum sold units of the collection to break even)

Contact immediately a publisher and not an "agent" like Extreme Games for publishing your budget games. He will earn on your game only for signing some papers.

#7 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 19 May 2000 - 05:11 AM

Dear Readers of this Forum,

My name is Alex de Vries and I''m the President and CEO of Crystal Interactive. We offer our developers a minimum royalty of $1 a copy sold (with a maximum of more of course) and we sell between 10.000 and 150.000 units of any budget title. Our interest goes out to a wide variety of games so RPG and adventure titles are welcome for review. We reply within 7 days of submission and we will make a quick decision about your game. Please feel free to contact me on: alexdv@nutridata.com or give me a call on: +31-(0)592-373634, or +31-(0)6-10764619 (Mobile). We''re there for our developers 24 hours a day.

Kind Regards,

Alex de Vries
President and CEO
Crystal Interactive LLC
"A Nutridata Company"
http://www.crystal-interactive.com

#8 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 19 May 2000 - 12:18 PM

You guys work with eGames. So why should we work with you, when we could work directly with eGames?
You will earn half of the money only for signing some papers.

#9 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 19 May 2000 - 11:27 PM

Dear Anonymous,

On the contrary, we do NOT work with eGames! Sure, they licensed a couple of light versions of our titles for their bundle packs but we are still publishing the full versions ourselves. I like eGames and they''re good colleagues, but in the end we''re battling them for shelf space in the stores.

We offer between 10% and 25% on the trade price of our products. So a $9.95 game has a $5 trade price. You, the programmer, get 25% of this $5. So how can we do that if we take a sub-licensing deal from eGames??? Please check your facts before you make accusations my friend, as there are far too many people in the world already who speak out before they know the full story.

I invite you to E-mail me on alexdv@nutridata.com and I''ll explain to you in detail how we work. We''re not game agents. We do occasionally sub-license a light version of a title for bundles or OEM sales. But that''s the same thing Activision, eGames, TLC, GT Interactive and Infogrames do.

Thanks and Regards,

Alex de Vries

#10 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 20 May 2000 - 04:57 AM

I don''t offend you by the way, I am interested in the follow things.

In which countries distribute you the products exactly?
And the units of 10.000 and 150.000 are reached after a year?
Is there a pay in advance royalty''s?
Is the pay each month or quarter?
You sublicense eGames. You only need eGames for the retailers market, isn''t it better to work with the distributer Gt Interactive who have the access the the big retail chanes.
How much will a developer earn for a budget title mostly and when he get paid?

#11 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 20 May 2000 - 07:58 AM

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you. No offense taken, but I''m merely trying to get your facts straight.

Okay, so there are again(!) a couple of misconceptions I have to eradicate here. First of all eGames is a publisher and we are a publisher. we don''t use them to get into retail as we have far more sophisticated methods ourselves to achieve this. GT Interactive is indeed a small part of this as they''re the exclusive route to get into Best Buys. We merely sub-license a couple of light versions of our products to eGames in order for these to be put on bundle packs. We do the same thing with Activision Value by the way. As you may know eGames chop up products into 3 different product types. A Full Version, A Light Version (50% of the levels) and a Demo (10% or less levels). The first the sell on-line and/or in a box or jewel case. The light versions go on bundle packs with 10+ other games. Small royalty fee, but something we don''t do, and therefore we have nothing to loose to prepare a light version of a product and license it to them. We see it as a nice little extra we get for the developer. The real cash is being made with the full version we ourselves put out in retail.

To your questions:

1) We sell into more then 30 different countries, including: U.S.A., Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Ireland, United Kingdom, The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Poland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Italy, Republic of San Marino, Andorra, Spain, Portugal, Malta, Cyprus, Greece, France, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Russia, Hungary, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Peoples Republic of China, Malaysia, India, Indonesia, Korea, Philippines, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji Islands, Vanuatu, Israel and Japan.

Our distribution network consists of about 60.000 stores right now and this number is still growing.

2)10.000 - 150.000 units are sold during the running time of the contract. Which is 2 years normally.

3)Our policy is to not pay any advances for products we sell under $19.95 in retail. But this is always negotiable if you''ve got a brilliant game, and still want us to sell it under $19.95...

4) We pay monthly.

5) A Developer will earn at least $1 for each copy sold, IF his product goes out as a stand alone. So a small Pac-man game will always end up on a 5-pack or even a 10-pack. So then the dollar will become "pro rata". We always try to give our people more then a dollar a copy sold though. So you can make at least $10.000 in the worst case scenario when your game ''only'' sells 10.000 units. But you''d really have to have written an absolute pants game in order to achieve this abismal figure. Usually we sell between 25.000 and 50.000 units of a ''normal'' game. So between $25.000 and $50.000 should be reasonable I''d say.

Once again I invite you to contact me on alexdv@nutridata.com and I''ll send you a full company presentation which will answer all of your further questions.

Kind Regards,

Alex de Vries

#12 Akura   Members   -  Reputation: 130

Posted 20 May 2000 - 09:21 AM

not trying to start a fight ! but why dont you guys register and log in !? PLZ !!

the dear anonimous thing is shitty

#13 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 21 May 2000 - 04:20 AM

Dear Mr. de Vries,

I send you an email for the presentation.

Looking forward to your reply.

#14 Crystal Interactive CEO   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 May 2000 - 12:40 AM

Dear Akura,

I agree. From now on I''ll reply as a registered user.

As for Mr. Anonymous is concerned I got your E-mail and sent you our company presentation. I hope you like the idea of working with us.

Kind Regards,

Alex de Vries

#15 Bully   Members   -  Reputation: 144

Posted 23 May 2000 - 07:29 PM

Yes can you please send me a presentation as well.

david@liquidmercurystudio.net

#16 prhxlvii   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 May 2000 - 09:17 PM

Dear Mr. de Vries...

I would appreciate it if you would also send your information to philhelms@usa.net.

Thanks.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS