• Create Account

[java] Different hfov and vfov in Java3D

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alaspin   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 May 2000 - 03:43 AM

Hi everyone I hope I''ll find someone who can help me out, here.. We are about writing a game in Java(3D). For gaining some speed we decided to use pre - rendered background images and to only implement some items and the characters as real 3d objects. So we took our 800 * 600 pixel Image, loaded it into background, put some objects in and - it looked wrong. It seems, Java3D always renders with the field of view equal in horizontal and vertical... So I had a look at the API doc and found something called ''compatibility mode''. Well - after having defined a new frustum with the perspective() - method in Transform3d, it seemed to turn out right. But - now our picking doesn''t work anymore. Anyone an idea how we have to solve it so that both (different fov and picking) are running.. ?

Sponsor:

#2 Jerry Lynn   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 May 2000 - 03:51 PM

I had very little luck writting a game in Java 3D. Even with simple scenes I was encountering massive memory requirements and an occasional world freeze that I attributed to either lack of memeory (I have 128 MB in my system) or garbage collection kicking off at inopportune times.

Of course, I am NO WHERE NEAR an expert in Java 3D, so it could have simply been my ineptitude as a developer. I would really appreciate it if you could share some of your experiences with using Java 3D in game development.

Thanks,

#3 Alaspin   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 May 2000 - 01:39 AM

Now, i wouldn''t describe me as an expert in Java3d, too..
In fact I am a student in computer science at the biel, school of ingeneering, switzerland (http://www.hta-bi.bfh.ch) who took the course computer graphics and has to write a semester work in java3d now...

The game idea resulted from the fact, that we love playing games and decided we were able to do one, too - but - ''it''s my first time''.

Naturally I''ll gladly share my experience, as soon as i have some more

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS