teasing hackers

Started by
104 comments, last by walkingcarcass 21 years, 1 month ago
[edit] People new to this thread should skip to the end of page 3, where the first round of good ideas is summarized.[/edit] technical details aside, assume you are working on a game engine designed to deter hackers. assume one feature is to delay expression of a detected cheat, making it harder to work out whether the hack worked. assume to create this delay, we corrupt or somehow alter the game behaviour so as to make it unplayable after a while. (to avoid pissing off potential customers, a crack detection message is eventually displayed to point out the game is hacked, not bugged.) what imaginitive things could be done in the meantime which are A) subtle, and B) likely to make the hacker REALLY angry? ******** A Problem Worthy of Attack Proves It's Worth by Fighting Back [edited by - walkingcarcass on February 4, 2003 7:17:33 AM]
spraff.net: don't laugh, I'm still just starting...
Advertisement
Been done b4 see Spyro. BTW correct word is cracker.
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
Indeed. A hacker is fundamentally non-destructive and tends only to look at information; a cracker is usually destructive and/or interested in changing things.

I think it would depend totally on the game. In an FPS - make the gun jam from time to time (added realism too ).

In an RTS - make units ocasionally unavailable for no apparent reason, or make units out of view disappear ("eh? I thought I had *three* tanks with those infantry..." gradually driving the player insane ).

In a game where time is important - for example, a racing game - tell the game that there are 50 seconds in a minute rather than sixty.

(You can have a LOT of fun with these :D )

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

please people, bofor you start arguing whats a cracker over whats a hacker. please read http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/The-Meaning-of-Hack.html from the New Hackers Dictionary (jargon file).

quote:
• If you are a writer or journalist, don''t say or write hacker when you mean cracker. If you work with writers or journalists, educate them on this issue and push them to do the right thing. If you catch a newspaper or magazine abusing the work `hacker'', write them and straighten them out (this appendix includes a model letter).

Rate me up.
sorry, sorry, CRACKER it is (my brain is too simple)

yeah, i''ve read about spryo. that''s why I posted this: to pool a few ideas

A Problem Worthy of Attack
Proves It''s Worth by Fighting Back
spraff.net: don't laugh, I'm still just starting...
Well, I think that a better way to handle hacking may just be to yell at the hacker as soon as anything''s detected- I can see people having nightmares over things like version changes tripping a "hacker detection". Also, you should probably try to make it clear to the player what they''re being punished for- if a game unceremoniously becomes unwinnable if someone tries to hack it, and players aren''t told that its'' because of the hack, then the game''s going to get a rumor for being unwinnable.

As for frustrating the hacker... There are lots of subtle ways to do that- I''d start by putting checksums on the game''s data files, nad then making certain flags and such not turn on if the checksums didn''t work out- such that the game does, indeed, become much harder to progress in. Eventually, you can give the player a "Winners don''t cheat"-type message to let them know why they''re having so much trouble.

Although, I might warn you that- sadly- after the first time that happens, said hacker probably isn''t going to keep playing your game, and they also may think twice about buying your game 2: the return of your game... So, all in all, it may not be a good idea. My suggestion is that you may want to limit yourself to encryption/checksums on data files and saved games, and perhaps a "This file has become corrupt" error message immediatley after the player has tried to open a modified one.

- HC

-- EMail: cloweh@rpi.edu
-- AIM: SeigfriedH
-- EMail: hlclower@comcast.net-- AIM: SeigfriedH
Well, if you ever played Frontier (Elite II), you should be able to get a bit of inspiration there...

Basically, it works like this: From time to time, when you land in a spaceport, the police comes up to you and asks you to "prove that you''re the rightful owner of your ship" *hint hint*. So you enter some letter from the manual, and the game continues. If your answer was wrong, they''ll ask you again next time you land, and when you''ve given the wrong answer 3 or 4 times, the in-game police goes on about how stealing "spaceships" is very bad and not fair to those who make them, so they''re gonna make an example of you, and then the game just restarts, but disables all input from the player... Basically you then just sit around looking at the intro, but you can''t do anything except exit the game... It just doesn''t react if you try to do anything else... Since the police do those spot checks from time to time, even if your answer was correct, and you don''t get notified about whether or not your answer were correct, you have to play for some time before it catches you in any case. You can easily play for several hours before getting caught, meaning it''d take forever to find out if a crack worked.
Yeah, I think that the best way to deter crackers is to make it hard for them to tell in a short amount of time if they have been succsessful... You might even try to anticipate some cracks and trick the cracker into thinking that they have succseeded... maybe only check for cracks 90% of the time... this way the cracker tries something.. and it doesn't work.. he tries something else... it doesn't work... tries one more thing... it WORKS!!!he doesn't notice a single problem... what he doesn't know is that the game just desided to not check for cracks this time...next time he tries to run the game... doesn;t work... No computer/programming problem is more annoying than one that is not consistant.

hopefully I made some sence...

"The only thing worse than not having that new _______ , is when some rich kid has it, but can't and/or doesn't appreciate it."-me
Tazzel3d ~ Dwiel

[edited by - tazzel3d on January 18, 2003 6:23:33 PM]
A really simple way to slowly mess things up: Write a function that is inlined that picks a random byte in the memory space of the game and checks if it is writable. If so, it reads the value and sets it to a random value. Repeat every 10-15 minutes or so to slowly corrupt the memory space of the game.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Okay ladies and gentlemen, I''d like to point out one final time to all those who do not understand.

A HACKER is involved with infiltrating systems for the retrieval of information. Whether their motives are good or bad or whether they''re malicious or not has nothing to do with this term.

A CRACKER alters software on a machine to bypass things like 30-day trials.

Most of the people you hear about that are "Hackers" are actually 12 year old script kiddies doing things like DoS attacks and running code to get buffer overflows and crap.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement