• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Moving path and map size

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 HellRiZZer   Members   -  Reputation: 308

Posted 09 May 2000 - 01:09 PM

If I have a tile 48x48 pixels and have a map of 100x100 tiles, how would be better to do to avoid delays between map scrolling.. like, if i got 20x20 tiles map, it would be easy and smooth scrolling, else or bigger i got not smooth scrolling.. what to do to avoid it? And also, for example, I click somewhere on map and unit must move there.. How to perform that in terms of changing x and y positions? What is an A* algorithm and where to find its desc?

Sponsor:

#2 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3338

Posted 09 May 2000 - 11:37 PM

The size of your map should have no effect on your scrolling. You only need to draw the part of the map that appears onscreen. Perhaps you''re doing something wrong... As for A*, look here Amit''s Game Programming Page.

#3 HellRiZZer   Members   -  Reputation: 308

Posted 10 May 2000 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for that!!
But, I already was ther and didn''t understand it fully..
Maybe there is someone who can make thids algorithm on VB??
I''ll help him too...
TA anyway!!

#4 Ferretman   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 276

Posted 10 May 2000 - 05:50 PM

Not sure of any Visual Basic implementations of A* (though I''m sure they''re out there), but Thomas Grubb has put together an interesting little A* (path-finding) application written entirely in Delphi. He says it was inspired by Bryan Stout''s excellent A* article in the
October/November, 1996 issue of Game Developer. It''s not a
bad implementation at all, and it''s a bit easier to follow than some.

You can find his source code at http://www.riversoftavg.com/downloads.htm.

Ferretman

From the High Mountains of Colorado

#5 HellRiZZer   Members   -  Reputation: 308

Posted 11 May 2000 - 03:35 PM

Ups, the file isn''t found.. try again and thanks anyway!! )

#6 Ferretman   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 276

Posted 13 May 2000 - 11:11 AM

Oops...it was there the other day. He must have been fiddling with his web site...it''s been there on and off. Did you email the site owner?

Ferretman

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS