Abuse of copyright (C)

Started by
23 comments, last by acw83 23 years, 11 months ago
Everyone seems to place copyright symbols in their programs, screenshots, etc. Do you really think some 16 year old "37337 h4xx0r" copyrights his material? To me, rampant use of the (C) symbol devalues its purpose, any comments?
Advertisement
Yes, your written opinion on this post has been previously copyrighted by The Beast computer which permutates words and phrases in english and copyrights them in bulk via an evil WAN spanning the planet, continuously growing and accellerating

You are in violation of our INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAWS and in turn your punishment is that you are now our intellectual property, and use of your own intellect is strictly governed by Federal statutes stating that use of that intellect is strictly prohibited
Actually, As far as I know everything you make is implicitly copyrighted. So that (c) is perfectly valid. I''m not completly sure, though.

--TheGoop
Ok, now seriously, my answer to your question is that use of the copyright symbol in your work is FREE and VALID. You can only copyright intellectual or creative works freely, but to copyright an invention or something like that costs around three hundred dollars, and takes forever.

A common way to protect yourself in court is to mail your copyrighted material to yourself, and keep the sealed package with the postmark to indicate the date on which you mailed it, proving that you possessed that work of art or writing or programming or whatever (or mail a disk or Cd?)before anybody else can prove they had it. This will stand up in court, because the U.S. Postal Service is federally regulated (sic) and so they can prove your ownership of that material because they are judicially respected.

SPAR1
Since half my family are lawyers, I think it is safe to say that Using the copyright symbol is valid UNLESS someone else has copyritten it first. There is no real way of checking if someone has copywritten work like your''s first so you better do some good research.
Well I''m fucked if anyone else owns the rights to my code.

(c)2000 Ben Woodhouse

http://www.geocities.com/ben32768

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Another thing, if you wrote the code and you can prove it is yours and someone attempted to copyright it, you CAN take them to court. That applies for US laws of course. I don''t know about england.
Yeah, it does, so hands off ok?

I''m pretty sure IP law is international.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

I think it''s pretty much the same in england except you have to pay to obtain proper copyright (this is so someone can check if no one else owns that particular copyright)

However if you can prove that a work was made by yuorself before another work then you can claim copyright even without the (C) symbol...

But it must have an official date on it... in terms of tangeable stuff sending to yourself by registsered post and leaving that copy sealed grants you one form of copyright to the material...

well that''s my ten pence worth anyhow...

Check out my shadows page
and send me some feedback
Check out my shadows page and send me some feedback
The (c) symbol just means copyright. The (r) symbol means registered copyright. Any original written work which you produce is simply copyright automatically.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement