MASM and Visual C

Started by
23 comments, last by nathany 23 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I just downloaded MASM 6.14 from Microsoft''s site... I''m trying to figure out how to get it set up under Visual C 5 so I can do development there. Anyone have any simple examples of C/ASM development? Say, an asm function that does a MessageBox, which is called from WinMain in C. I''m just trying to get things set up... any pointers on this would be nice to. Nathan. nathany.com
Advertisement
check out the Quake 1 source.
Some time ago, I posted a simular question:
(Hope this link works)
Assembly in MDS (to include in C/C++)

What I got out of it: the best thing to do is to use inline!

At the moment I''m using a lot of inline asm...

Well, if I understand correctly: inline ASM doesn''t support MMX and all those other goodies.

I downloaded a pure ASM example Windows program from grc.com, so now I''m just trying to figure out how to call an ASM function called AboutProc from my WinMain function in C. AboutProc then turns around and calls MessageBox. It''s compiling/assembling now, but I''m getting some link errors... still struglling

Btw, anyone know if/how one could set up some syntax color highlighting for .ASM files in Visual C 5?

- n8

nathany.com
Please post your results, I''m very interrested...
This site has a lot tutorials for programming Windows programs in asm. I suggest the Iczelion tutorials.

http://win32asm.cjb.net

I''m under the impression that there is no way to use MASM through Visual Studio. I would love to be proven wrong.
Haven''t tried it yet, but probably something like:
- Add .asm file to your project
- RMB on .asm file ->settings->custom build
- Build commands: C:\Compilers\Masm\Masm.exe
- Output files: .obj
Thanks for the link. I have a simple example working now.

I think I will post this to my web site with some files to download, etc. I''ll drop a note here when it''s done, and maybe someone will be able to tell me a better way to hook MASM ito VC (right now it''s at the project level, which doesn''t make a whole lot of sense)

- n8

nathany.com
Does anyone know a good site to download the latest TASM version?
quote:Original post by baskuenen
Does anyone know a good site to download the latest T ASM version?

TASM is a commercial product, so you should actually buy it, you know =).

MASM is free via the Windows DDK.

- n8

nathany.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement