RPG Opinions

Started by
13 comments, last by Run_The_Shadows 23 years, 11 months ago
Ok, this is sorta simple, what sort of RPG do you all like? A Diablo(blah) RPG, Final Fantasy/Console-ish RPGs, or the more eccentric ones like Fallout(2) and Shadowrun for the SNES/Genesis?? Also, do you like i more structured game play/story line(When you do X, you can then do Y, so you can do Z), or open ended(you do Z, then X, because Y seems hardest to you). And finally, on classes(not the programming type), do you prefer a class-structured game where you choose classes at the beginning and then you have to abide by that decision, or a totally customizable character??? Thanks in advance! -Run_The_Shadows -Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
Advertisement
My favorite RPGs would have to be the Final Fantasy series (2, 3, and 7 all US). Everything about these games screamed perfection. I also believe that massively multiplayer RPGs are the way of the future.

-Icarus
-Andreas
i prefer the more traditional style of rpg, but with an eccentric twist, like fallout or even the quasi-rpg queest for glory games. my favorite rpgs are the system shock games, though. They are brilliant!

ps. i like open-ended character development and story development; not set paths, but a game which lets the player actually play and explore, not look for a little item that some intransigent needs to further the game.

<(o)>

Edited by - aDasTRa on May 14, 2000 9:32:50 PM
<(o)>
I like (mostly) all RPGs. My favorites would have to be the final Fantasy(especially tactics) series, and the Phantasy Star series. I really like the new MMORPGs like Everquest, and I think those are the way of the future. I think the class based systems work well, but I feel that there should be more room for deviance from the main class (i.e. A wizard could theoretically become a necromancer, because the studies are related, yet A warrioor could not become a priest) I like games that are more open ended, but I do think that stories are VERY Important to the gameplay.
- Oh yea, ShadowRun was pretty cool too.

Edited by - Etnu on May 14, 2000 9:40:25 PM

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

Hey, thanks, all you posters, and oh yeah adastra, on the open-ended scale, as far as i know for single player, Fallout 2 is the best!!
Thanks and signing out for the night,

-Run_The_Shadows
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
I like classes!
like in fftactices
less direct like ff7
I didnt like playing it a second time.

less direct...mroe options.
Gosh, no crpg has done everything the way I''d do it yet, and many have done a few things that impressed the heck outta me and sparked new lines of thought.

If you are intending to create something new, why ask everyone''s opinion of what''s cool and what''s not? It''s hardly any fun catering to the whims of management when you work on a game professionally and you only get the freedom to pursue your own ideas when you work alone, so please follow your instincts and try to build something the way you want it. We''ll all garner inspiration from your implementation and it might even be fun.
--Matter mother mutter.
Each path -- customizable and preset characters -- has its merits and downsides. If you have a main character who is completely fixed and can't be altered by the player (except for things like the name), then you lose some replay value and versatility. But if the player can create the main character any way he wants, it's hard to have a story that really develops the character's personality.

If you've got a really great storyline in mind, it's probably best to keep character customization down a little. The perfect example is Final Fantasy VII - the story was incredible! But you couldn't customize the characters except to change their names. On the other hand, if you want to give every player a more individual experience and take the emphasis off the story a little bit, you could have a fully customizable character or party of characters. Might and Magic VII comes to mind here, another great game.

Maybe you can come up with a way to have a fantastic story, but one that develops differently based on the character's class and settings? That would be a lot more writing, most likely, but definitely interesting!

--Ironblayde

BTW, on a side note, anyone remember Sword of Vermillion on the Genesis? That was a great game. ^_^ But nobody seems to remember it except me...

Edited by - Ironblayde on May 15, 2000 1:42:31 AM
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
Im gonna try to make this short (it''s moring, im going to school)

My fav. CRPG would have to be Fallout 1/2.
This it what i LOVE about them:
The atmosphere
That you can do almost anything in at least two ways
The realisticish battle system
and finaly... the INTRO!!!

Besides the Fallout games, i also like the FF series and Breath of fire... well, acctualy, i like almost every CRPG there is...

And on to the Class system. In the Excelent CRPG Daggerfall, they use a pretty good system! You can either use one of the pre-made character-classes or make your own!

Ohh, well... of to school...

========================
Game project(s):
www.fiend.cjb.net
=======================Game project(s):www.fiend.cjb.net
I'm a big fan of the Japanese style RPGs myself. They always have the best characters and a great story. I've yet to meet a bad guy as cool as Sephiroth!

Hey, Jonatan you say you like Breath of Fire. I used to have Breath of Fire 3 on my playstation and it was great, but I sold my playstation a while ago, which is quite annoying because I've just seen the graphics for Breath of Fire IV on www.capcom.co.jp. It looks easily the best PSX graphics i've ever seen, I would say it looks like being the next FFVII. I'm not sure when it will come out in different languages though. I think I might buy the japanese version and hope it works on bleem.

Heres a screen shot:

Edited by - JonHobson on May 15, 2000 4:13:03 AM
---------- JonHobson ----------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement