• Create Account

Game Development Costs?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 owillis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 May 2000 - 05:08 PM

I know figures vary wildly from project to project but is there anywhere I can find some sort of industry average? Or perhaps numbers for specific products? IE: Quake 3 Madden 2000 The Sims ? Any help would be appreciated...

Sponsor:

#2 Etnu   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 880

Posted 15 May 2000 - 05:23 PM

Game costs can range wildly, but the average cost for a really grade ''A'' game is probably going to be at least $250k-$1 mill. , althoug some good products have been turned out with much less. One good example I know is Final Fantasy 7 & 8 each rang in at around $2 million EACH.(maybe more) but Myst was something like less than $50k (ive heard as low as $10k)

#3 cliffski   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 May 2000 - 09:11 PM

Im so wary of the obsession with big game budgets. If you dont have an idea how much the budgets are, you arent familiar enough with the industry to get anyone to fund your project.
Look at Rollercoaster Tycoon, one of 1999s top selling games - written by one guy, with another guy part time. Must have cost well under a million dollars ;-)

http://www.positech.co.uk

#4 goltrpoat   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 May 2000 - 09:39 PM

dont make me bring up deer hunter

--
Float like a butterfly, bite like a crocodile.

#5 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9387

Posted 16 May 2000 - 07:38 PM

To get an idea of the budgets (and sometimes actual costs) for development of games, check out the post-mortems on www.gamasutra.com.

(And the way that the yen has been bouncing in the last few years, it''s really hard to get a good feel of how much they really did spend on the FFVII and FFVIII).

#6 owillis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 19 May 2000 - 05:55 PM

Thanks all for the info.

#7 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 19 May 2000 - 06:16 PM

Those numbers are NOT very accurate. I''d say a "A" list first person shooter is in the $2M-$5M dollar range. In a recent interview with Peter Molyneux, he said we are getting near a time when some games will approach the $10M budget mark. And Shen Mue, didn''t that game cost like $40M to make or something???

Do the math, for an average potential "A" title.
2 year schedule.
4 engineers at $50,000/yr (average) (this could vary wildly, both # of engineers, and salary)
5 high level artist (3d/texture/level design) @ $50,000/yr (maybe more like $40k, depending)
5 low level artists (3d/texture/level design) @ $40,000/yr (maybe more like $30k/yr)
1 manager @ $50,000/yr

That''s about $1.5M, and is a pretty small estimate of team size. Some teams could easily be twice as large. Never mind marketing, production, legal costs, licensed technology, etc.

If you are going indie, consider making something smaller in scope than the average "A" title, and just polish the hell out of it.

#8 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 May 2000 - 08:28 AM

Hm - most of your points are very valid, but yeah, you''re going to want to bump those numbers up considerably.

Most ''A'' titles (especially in adventure/action/RPG) have much larger dev teams than that. Most ''A'' title development houses pay much more than that.

$0.02

#9 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 May 2000 - 08:42 AM

yeah it can vary wildly but I think a million is the lowest practical cost, most games taking a few million with some taking like ten. For example Myth II (second best RTS ever) took six people 18 months, that''s probably half a million. Starcraft (best RTS ever) took around 20 people for the core team, probably three million there plus they drew on company resources (their forty person cinematic team for example) so that would probably bring the cost close to ten million. So there is a wide range of possible budgets but all games tend to be costly and most don''t make a profit.

#10 wardekar   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 May 2000 - 08:49 AM

Just so you know, I''m pretty sure Shenmue cost around $70 million, and I''m almost positive is well over $50. Of course Shenmue is probably the most realistic/interactive game ever produced and it was done by arcade legend Yu Suzuki under Sega''s budget so this isn''t really in comparison to what you are thinking of. I would think most PC games would be less than console games just because most PC games are less expansive, console games tend to have huge worlds where as quake 3 was just an engine slapped together with some maps and character models. Hope that helps,

~WarDekar

#11 Chrono999   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 May 2000 - 02:33 PM

Yeah, I doubt you can make an A game with 250 k (I doubt you can make any majour game for that much.) Suppose the game takes 1 year to make. 250k wouldn''t even cover salary, plus there''s office space, new equipment etc.

#12 Tiso   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 May 2000 - 07:14 AM

A good game doesn't laways mean mondo bucks. As said before, good games can be made cheap. Alot of the larger and huge companys have a person for very single job, from level design to item placement. This isn't wrong or stupid to have somebody specialize but it isn't needed. Then, some of the companys that want to have a large game with great graphics will buy the latest 3d modeler ($10,000 or so), alot of research material (when the could go to the library), and many many other things.

Now class, let's review.

Good game, dosn't equal alot of money.

http://www.crosswinds.net/~gaurdianangel

Edited by - Tiso on May 28, 2000 11:31:21 PM

#13 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 28 May 2000 - 09:08 AM

Hey Tiso,

theres prolly something wrong with your signature or something. All the threads that your reply is the last makes the whole thread get shrinked to the left. Well, maybe this post will fix the thread again, but people who saw it know what Im talking about. Ah, and theres another post here on Business of Game Devel. that has a last post by Tiso, check it out (its topic is something like "How expensive are copyright and trademark?", or not heh).

Please check it out, Tiso. (Im using Netscape 4.7 I beliebe, btw)

Ah, and this is RoTTer. Im not putting my name/pwd there cause this is just a note, Im not posting this just to get ranks due to number of posts, lol.

Cya,
-RoTTer

#14 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 28 May 2000 - 09:14 AM

Ack

Its still bugged.. I somewhat found out whats wrong in your signature (read "(" as "<" and ")" as ">") :

(A HREF="http://www.crosswinds.net/~yakiine/TFR.html) The Forgotten Roads (/A)

You forgot to put a closing ''"'' on the link. It should be something like :

.../TFR.html")

Cya,
-RoTTer

#15 Ysaneya   Members   -  Reputation: 1235

Posted 28 May 2000 - 08:56 PM

Daikatana: $30M
Makes you wonder...

Y.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS