Game Design School or Master's Degree?

Started by
7 comments, last by yardlevy 21 years, 1 month ago
Hi All, I am an engineering manager for a large networking company. I graduated with a BSc in Computer Engineering from UF(go Gators!!) in 1994 and have had several jobs as a test engineer and SW engineer at several large companies over my 8+ year career. I am now itching to really do what I have always wanted to do, and enter the Game Development industry as a programmer/developer/designer. I am weighing two alternatives to get me prepared to enter the industry: 1.)Go to Full Sail in Orlando for about 2 yrs and do their Game Design and Digital Media programs or 2.)go do a Master''s Degree in CS from Georgia Tech with all my course work focused on 3D Graphics, AI and SW Dev. Georgia Tech also has a single Game Design class. This would take also 2 years. My question is which one will give me the better chance of landing a job in the industry-- MSc. engineering degree focused on game development courses or the AA degree in dedicated game design and digital media. I have visited Full Sail and their program and campus are quite impressive. I understand that the programs are also very intensive with 40 hours a week in classes and labs. I live in Atlanta and am very familiar with GATech. So please tell me what you think. Thanks, D
Advertisement
I think both would look equally impressive on a resume at a game development company. The masters degree would look more impressive to other non-game development fields so I''d recommend that route so you have a better fall back plan if the professional game development thing doesn''t pan out for you.
I''m thinking about either grad school or Full Sail. My undergrad is Econ, but I’m still leaning towards Full Sail. However, Stanford has several correspondence in CS, software dev, and AI. I wouldn''t have to move to Orlando.

Since your undergrad is in CS, I''d also go with Full Sail.
Since you have a degree already and industry experience, you have another option. You can write one or 2 game demos that display your programming skills. This would more likely land you a job than another peice of paper saying you can design games.

With your current credentials, you just have to show them some proof with a good demo or two.

If you don''t feel you can make a good demo yet, then you need to decide if you want a fall back option.

I would recommend the master''s degree as this would give you more options, but still give you the tools you needed for game making.

First make it work,
then make it fast.

--Brian Kernighan

"I’m happy to share what I can, because I’m in it for the love of programming. The Ferraris are just gravy, honest!" --John Carmack: Forward to Graphics Programming Black Book
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
sdsd
sdsd
quote:Original post by yardlevy
Hi All,
I am an engineering manager for a large networking company. I graduated with a BSc in Computer Engineering from UF(go Gators!!) in 1994 and have had several jobs as a test engineer and SW engineer at several large companies over my 8+ year career.

I am now itching to really do what I have always wanted to do, and enter the Game Development industry as a programmer/developer/designer. I am weighing two alternatives to get me prepared to enter the industry:
1.)Go to Full Sail in Orlando for about 2 yrs and do their Game Design and Digital Media programs

or

2.)go do a Master''s Degree in CS from Georgia Tech with all my course work focused on 3D Graphics, AI and SW Dev. Georgia Tech also has a single Game Design class. This would take also 2 years.

My question is which one will give me the better chance of landing a job in the industry-- MSc. engineering degree focused on game development courses or the AA degree in dedicated game design and digital media.

I have visited Full Sail and their program and campus are quite impressive. I understand that the programs are also very intensive with 40 hours a week in classes and labs.

I live in Atlanta and am very familiar with GATech.

So please tell me what you think.

Thanks,
D

I''m a beginner.what is SW?

SW = Software
also HW = Hardware

Just my 2cents worth of opinion, I would suggest u goto school if you are really motivated after having worked for 8+ years in industry. Personally, I''ve graduate degree, and I think it gives you so much confidance and you get to learn newer technologies and latest stuff going aroung in the industry. Learning everyting by oneself can get a lil daunting especially topics related to AI, Game programming, and Math/Physics. But if you are really determined then go for it right away in the industry, but GA Tech has an excellent ComSci program.....
SW = Software
also HW = Hardware

Just my 2cents worth of opinion, I would suggest u goto school if you are really motivated after having worked for 8+ years in industry. Personally, I''ve graduate degree, and I think it gives you so much confidance and you get to learn newer technologies and latest stuff going aroung in the industry. Learning everyting by oneself can get a lil daunting especially topics related to AI, Game programming, and Math/Physics. But if you are really determined then go for it right away in the industry, but GA Tech has an excellent ComSci program.....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement