Lisp is King

Started by
325 comments, last by bishop_pass 20 years, 5 months ago
Lisp is King. Is that enough to start a thread? (setf fruits '(apples oranges pears bananas)) Lisp is outrageously fun. Why do we need this thread? Well, all of us Lounge Lisp Lizards apparently like to discuss and promote Lisp. Sometimes our discussions get too specific in the General Programming Forum, or overwhelmed by all of the C++ class and vector discussions. Why don't we just rename that forum the C++ Forum? I'd like to discuss (and debate) Lisp here. Everything. Not just Arc. Not just XML. Not just AI. All of it. I want people who disagree with Lisp or despise it to participate. I want people who advocate it to participate. I want people to share Lisp snippets of code. I need this. I am no Lisp expert myself when it comes to programming in Lisp. But I'm an expert with regard to much of what has been accomplished with Lisp. I also wrote a mini Lisp interpreter ten years ago. A good thread to raise Lisp awareness would be great. But not specific to any particular problem domain or contentious topic. Yes, we can encompass all of that, and go off on topics with regard to those subjects, but let's not limit ourselves to one domain. [edited by - bishop_pass on March 6, 2003 6:19:52 PM]
Advertisement
lisp,, it reminds me of that useless wisp in wc3
You and SabreMan raised so much fuss about Lisp that I decided to free my mind. I bought "ANSI Common Lisp" yesterday night. Once the book gets here we''ll see where I''ll lean

Talk about freeing ones mind, I also bought "Modern C++ Design". Heard it''s supposed to blow my mind, but that''s a descussion for a different thread.
Lisp is awesome because you can make things like a quicksort so easily ... but then you try to make a heap sort

Firebird Entertainment
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
One tactic I was describing in another thread that you can adopt with Lisp is the idea of having the runtime program add to its own capabilities through interfacing with the user. The user enters data (or knowledge), and the Lisp program converts this into Lisp code and adds it into its core set of usable code.
Any tips and/or recommendations for anyone who would like to try it?
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
One of the things I''ve always advocated is to get familiar with the big projects that have been done in Lisp in academic circles. This might run counter to the idea of learning Lisp for more mundane tasks, but by seeking out those academic projects, one gets a flavor of the different programming paradigm one can implement with Lisp.

Learning how to do a Quicksort, or a vector library in Lisp is all well and good, but it''s nor very imaginative. The problem with, say, implementing a vector library in Lisp as a learning process, is it teaches how to convert a standard programming solution into a Lisp solution. This is good and bad, in my opinion. It''s good, because it''s necessary and helps you convert your standard programming methodology to Lisp, but it''s bad, because it doesn''t let you see the possibilities with Lisp.

The best way to really see the possibility with Lisp is to seek out a program written in Lisp, and then realize that to implement that program using another programming language would actually require you to write a Lisp interpreter. That''s where the real power and paradigm shift evident in Lisp becomes apparent.

Unfortunately, two programs that illustrate that potential better than any other that I have come across are AM and EURISKO, whose papers are not available online. They are available in the Artificial Intelligence journal likely available at your local university library.

If someone else is aware of the type of programming paradigm that I am speaking of (the one that would require one using another language to actually implement a Lisp interpreter before the program could effectively be written) then state what those example Lisp programs are. I''m sure there are many out there. Another example might be Karl Sims'' genetic programming example which creates graphic images. I''ll probably have more to say about that program later. I already mentioned it in another thread.

Another example where Lisp likely has great potential is with L-systems.
L-systems and Lisp. And here's More info on L-systems and Lisp with renderings.

[edited by - bishop_pass on March 6, 2003 7:28:15 PM]
I''ll going to the book stores *hint* *hint* this weekends.
I read few chapters on "A Gentle Introduction" (free download) to Lisp... I could feel that Lisp contains the most basic form of elements in programming.
"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching on the event horizon"
Damn I wish I bought the book a month ago. Can we put this on hold for a week or two?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement