You dont need a million dollars ok?????

Started by
66 comments, last by cliffski 23 years, 10 months ago
Time for my first semi-rant post. Am I the only person who is sick of posts along the lines of "I am putting together the design document for my first game, I reckon the budget is about 3 million dollars, anybody know who i should submit it to?" What planet are you all on? nobody is going to give you a hundred dollars, let alone a million to make your first (or second game). By the time you have the experience and skills required to do a ''triple a title'' (im so sick of that phrase) you will know enough industry people to not have to ask these questions here. Sorry for the rant, but i feel this board has a lot of potential to help the small Lone-wolf and 2/3 man teams , but gets clogged up with people dreaming about multimillion dollar deals before theyve written a pong clone. Glad i got that out of my system :-) http://www.positech.co.uk
Advertisement
I definately agree, but there are alot of new people that need to be guided...I do think that GameDev should open up a newbie section (or direct them to AmaDev ) so we can weed out most of these posts.

Btw cliff, is Star Miner selling well? Arent you guys published with Crystal Interactive?

---------------
Ibuku
AmaDev
www.amadev.net
Amen
Crystal have so far got my game published by egames (www.egames.com) They sell the games in a lot of places but the royalty percentage is very low. Crystal are planning on retailing my game direct which (so they say...) should do much better.

http://www.positech.co.uk
what''s with the anti newbie posts lately. And all the stupid people who say "Right on girlfriend" after the post. I haven''t seen a single post asking for money, and I''ve only seen a very small amount of design docs.
Do you earn one dollar per copy? They say so. Look in the topic breakin in buisness.
If 100.000 is sold, you will earn $100.000
This is what crystal said.

A Developer will earn at least $1 for each copy sold, IF his product goes out as a stand alone. So a small Pac-man game will always end up on a 5-pack or even a 10-pack. So then the dollar will become "pro rata". We always try to give our people more then a dollar a copy sold though. So you can make at least $10.000 in the worst case scenario when your game ''only'' sells 10.000 units. But you''d really have to have written an absolute pants game in order to achieve this abismal figure. Usually we sell between 25.000 and 50.000 units of a ''normal'' game. So between $25.000 and $50.000 should be reasonable I''d say.

But with who do they work? Have they there own channels.
Dear Readers,

Once again there''s a lot of controversy about my company I notice... But as always I''m ready to explain.

We guarantee our people $1 a unit sold as a bare minimum. So even if we''d have a Martian Space Ship throw 50.000 units into a black hole you''d have to be happy, as long as we give you a check for $50.000 right?. Now our distribution does not reach as far as Planet Mars, nor do we have unorthodox methods to distribute products like I described before. We sell into all of the major retail stores either direct or through GT Interactive''s subsidiary "Slash Corporation". Our sales reps always push in new products with CompUSA, EB, K-Mart, Wal-mart, Best Buys (through GT) and many other retail chains. The retail contracts are very expensive to buy if you''re a new publisher ($50.000 just to be ''allowed'' to sell your games into a retail chain) but since our contracts date back to 1987 they were a lot cheaper back then. Check out our "Nutridata" product range.

I''m a bit tired having to explain our relationship with eGames. My good friend "Cliffski" works with us for over a year now and he''s seen his game "Star Miner" being sub-licensed to eGames. Now eGames will not sell the full version in retail. This will only be sold on-line. A ''light'' version (with 50% of the levels) went on 2 collection CD products which did make it into retail. Since we only sell full version products in retail ourselves we decided to let eGames market a version we''d never sell ourselves. This way we made "Cliffski" some extra cash before he starts earning on his full version product which we are publishing in a stand alone jewel case.

Now I hope this is the last time I have to explain our relationship to eGames. We are NOT game agents and I strongly object to people accusing us of taking 50% for filling out some paperwork. We occasionally choose to SUPPLEMENT our distribution with an exclusive or non-exclusive sub-license if we feel it can benefit the maximalisation of the sales potential of a particular product. I value eGames as a competent yet relatively slow business partner and even though they''re technically our competitors I can recommend them if you''re into producing "family friendly" budget software. But then again you can earn much more money if you go with us.

I''d say look at it as you''re standing in a supermarket and you have the choice between a number of different products. Shop around and compare the offers. Don''t take MY word for it, but judge for yourself.

Thanks and take care,

Alex de Vries
President and CEO
Crystal Interactive LLC
"A Nutridata Company"
http://www.crystal-interactive.com
alexdv@nutridata.com
Your offer looks very good.
Is it possible to live of the earnings, this is by the way more general mentioned for budget titles.

Dear Mr. de Vries,

Is it possible to work full time as a internal game developer for your company Crystal Interactive.
The earning is a month salary plus some royalties of the developed product.
I am very much interested in joining your company.
What are the possibilities?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement