What if you had to play the goblin, faced with genocide?

Started by
10 comments, last by Niphty 23 years, 10 months ago
Well well Landfish.. it seems your prayers have been answered! TSR, the AD&D authority, has released a new AD&D campain.. REVERSE DUNGEON! The point of it is to play a goblin, or a set of goblins, with a war party adventuring to kill your presence! It''s actually got three levels of play, goblins, then higher leveled creatures and finally undead Each one being attacked by what would be normal characters To win.. you got to kill the raiders and possibly rummage into town and kick some butt. It''s time to teach those adventurers who''s the man! Also, i think that goblins have some powerful shamans somewhere.. and they just spend time resurrecting the goblin hordes who die hehe. Well, i''ve got a lot more to read on the goblin genocide message.. i just think this topic deserved its own place. Admit it.. if you made a game where the 30000 players are all goblins and there''s like say.. 40 NPCs seeking to kill the players.. hehe J
Advertisement
Based on the topic title, I thought you were talking about Oddworld.
HA HA! Just watch: When I said it, people scoffed...

But now that the nursing teat of TSR has approved actual ethical behavior (or at least acknowledged it) watch all of the hack/slash people jump the wagon! Victory is sweet.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Ye-haw!

About time
watch me kickin them palefaced, bare-ass heroes back to whence they came!!
WUHAAAAAA
*grin* Didn''t Dungeon Keeper do it first? ( Though you were actually supposed to be the "bad" guy there )

#pragma DWIM // Do What I Mean!
~ Mad Keith ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Madkieth, you are unlear on the concept. This isn''t about being bad, it''s about looking at the other side of the picture. I liken it to the way caucasians once treated native americans. Once we were oblivious to thier culture, only able to percieve them through our stereotypes about "savages".

I like toying with conventions. More often than not, you end up finding something better. =)
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Of course, on the other hand, this isn''t the same as maltreating and stereotyping native americans, as goblins don''t actually exist (as far as we know ). I mean, who are we to say that goblins can be good at all? Don''t get me wrong, I like the idea of (to copy a cliche) "thinking outside the box" and switching roles for a change, but I think it''s a fuzzy area when dealing with fanatasy creatures.

IMO, why not just invent some NEW creature to have fun with? Why must we continue to return to the same orcs, goblins, dwarves and elves CONSTANTLY?

just some stuff to think about...

Alex the Enigma
atypical-interactive.com
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
I always think twice before using real-world analogies to goblins. However, stories are parables, and If a game teaches us not to treat everyone as enemies based on appearance alone, maybe a little will rub off on the player OUTSIDE the game. And if they don''t need it, they will probably feel validated by the game telling them they are right.

Good stories always have a message, even if it''s simple. That story is a little different from the average monster-hunt... but it could be really good.
Why can´t we be bad - it´s fun to be bad.

I guess that´s why i enjoyed dungeon keeper so much

Don´t try to be nice and fair and ethical all the time. To hell with good manners, it´s only a game.

I can be nice in real life, what i want to do is be nasty!
Did anyone ever play that game on playstation where you set traps in a castle and captured the adventurers that came through. You could kill them for gold or drain their souls for magic power. That was a FUN game. Several endings too.
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement