Can programmers do graphic design?

Started by
20 comments, last by baskuenen 23 years, 10 months ago
"To make a game you need a graphic designer" And to get a graphic designer, you''ll need to pay him! Would you be ready to pay? I would not! 3D gfx is even easier than 2D. Do all the hard work programming yourself, and then share the money with a guy who''s done the easy work! Neeaah! No need for a low IQ gfx designer, better do it myself! What''s your opinion? No need to be modest! (ps: I actually respect gfx designers. The above is just to lure you into conversation!)
Advertisement
Hmm, well let me see...how to go about this. Ok let''s do it this way...you have ideas, you can write a book, right?
Well you could with enough perseverence but your chances of it being well written are at say 5%. It takes a writer to write a book, someone who has studied other authors, and writing.
It''s just like me (Game Designer/Producer) going up and saying: "Hey why do I need to screw around with programmers? I''ll just write my own code". Ok, give me the benefit of being a fast learner and very smart, I may actually be able to teach myself C++, etc. Yeah, I''d write code, but do I know the tricks to optimizing it? Do I even know what I''m doing? And most importantly, will I be so bogged down by trying to write code, when I should be concentrating on design issues?
So the thing is, that although it''s not a bad thing to try and feel into other depts you should stick to what you''re good at.

Boil all my gibberish down to this.

You want to make a game. You want to make a GOOD game. You CAN''T do it by yourself.

Unless of course you are a master of all of the following: Design, Code, Art, Music, Scripting, QA, Business, etc. etc.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." - The Shining
Hi,
------------------------------------
"No need for a low IQ gfx designer, better do it myself"
------------------------------------
Wasn''t that kinda harsh? Many graphics designer are not as stupid as you may think. They may not be as technical, but they can get some things done faster than programmers can.

Have you ever tried to create and animate a man throwing a rock? If you have and you''ve done it in less than a week, than I guess you can call them stupid.

-William
Enhance Software
www.enhancesoft.com

Making god looking graphics is not that easy.
You sound like a real idiot yourself.

I´ve been looking for a good gfx-guy for a long time.
Finally I found one. I´m so glad I did.

Better to have a medium programmer and a good graphic designer, than the other way around.

ADDED LATER:
Ups! I overlooked your last statement:
"(ps: I actually respect gfx designers. The above is just to lure you into conversation!) "

I´ll keep my reply intact anyway...See ya!

-- There IS something rotten in the state of Denmark --

Edited by - granat on May 30, 2000 1:24:45 AM
-------------Ban KalvinB !
Well believe it or not you will need a graphic designer but the truth about them is low level of thinking is what the are i guess it comes with a good designer. You can not do it by yourself but you sure can do most of the actual game yourself. They do not want to know how to capture events from the user. They just want to know that the game responses to them when they play. They are willing to sacirfice nothing for their design (vision) as they would say. All you''ll need them for is the little stuff like what textures go with green and blue.
--What are you nutz?I have nothing to say to your unevolved little brain. The more I say gives you more weapons to ask stupid questions.
granat: good you kept it intact: no need to be polite!

afterburn: I agree 100%.

I may seem like your standard arrogant programmer - but if you create a "smart" design document all you need is some nice textures! (and is this hard?...even a camera can replace the gfx designer here!)

Are there any games out there, that obviously gone without gfx designer? I think so, and good ones too!

- Bas.
Well, I do my own graphics normally (and I''m doing graphics for someone else''s game too), but I think that you really shouldn''t do that unless the game is just a small-time thing, because if you''re making a commercial-level game, you''re gonna need commercial-level graphics designers

If you code it, they will come...

Commander M
http://commanderm.8m.com
cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com
quote:No need for a low IQ gfx designer, better do it myself!

Poor missguided fool , there is more to graphics designing than what meets the eye . I should know I have taken Graphics Designing classes , I used to be like yah whatever , I have the talent dont need the classes blah blah ..... .
quote:No need to be modest!
BTW I do everything from sound fx , art , game design , music and programming . Currently working for my bsc Computer Science (software engineering ) , Associate -> Academy of Interactive and Visual arts , Associate -> Computer Animation , Did I go all out sorry

There are only four types of men , RichMan , PoorMan , BeggarMan , Thief........
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
Are we getting too nice?
I didn''t ask for technical info, but for your opinion.
Programmers are not known for their superb social behaviore, so keep the real opinions coming...

(hope you can say more than fuck orso..., but it doesn''t have to be against me?!)
its good to know all sides of what you are doing ,so you can exspres what you are thinking ...i draw a bit ,if you need some help e-me and ill see if i can help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement