• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

great idea. no one has done it yet

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 srgomez   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 June 2000 - 06:31 AM

I am working on something that is a cross between chat rooms and Quake and a dating service Imagine a interactive place where you could walk into different rooms and see actually people (face mapped on a 3d head) and concerse with them if you like or move to another crowd and see what the topic is over there. People can only hear and talk to people that are within 10 feet so people would tend to bunch together. In the long run it could be sorta a dating service that verifies looks/weight/height and then puts the images in the database so that its IS like real life except you are not really there. besides just talk you have the option to punch.. pull out a gun and shoot someone.. etc.. but I do not want to turn it into a quake game .. keep it more for chatting.. I once saw something like this.. but all it was was 3d characters talking in some 3d room.. with cartoon faces. anyone else working on something like this?

Sponsor:

#2 DarkMage139   Members   -  Reputation: 294

Posted 02 June 2000 - 12:41 PM

Hey, I''d like to have that sort of thing...

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"

#3 Agent1   Members   -  Reputation: 130

Posted 02 June 2000 - 01:39 PM

Something you may want to check out

Activeworlds.com, Inc.

~
A
G
E
N
T
~

#4 SHilbert   Members   -  Reputation: 647

Posted 02 June 2000 - 01:58 PM

I was thinking of doing something like that a while back too, but I didn''t know enough about programming the actual internet connection parts. (Come to think of it, I *STILL* don''t know enough about that stuff.)

lntakitopi@aol.com | http://geocities.com/guanajam/

#5 Tsutomegi   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 June 2000 - 07:10 AM

That would be a good idea, but do you think that people would actually use their real faces and bodies, or would they make it up as to attract more people...it happens on chat rooms all the time...

Dating service aside, it would be a pretty nifty idea.

Edited by - Tsutomegi on June 5, 2000 2:11:37 PM

#6 Delisk   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 June 2000 - 07:20 AM

3d chat exist...i see it once, but i don''t remember the name. It also some game, like a labyrinth (peoples often go there in team).

I know this chat is free....

Delisk

#7 Strife   Members   -  Reputation: 374

Posted 05 June 2000 - 07:21 AM

Except for the shooting/hitting thing, this has already been more or less done (by Microsoft, no less). I forget exactly, but I think it''s called VChat. It''s not fully 3-D though, and yours just sounds cooler anyway

If you code it, they will come...

Commander M
http://commanderm.8m.com
cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com

#8 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 05 June 2000 - 07:27 AM

Cryo Interactive did it a while ago, just dont remember any details. check their website.

#9 Whirlwind   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 05 June 2000 - 07:37 AM

CmndrM, the shooting and hitting happens after you get married.

Actually the avatar exists as a result of people wanting the same things, aside from looking real. There are a few vrml sites out there, if you look.

#10 srgomez   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 June 2000 - 03:56 AM

I laso saw some sort of 3d thing. But what it was lacking was the ability
to really interact. rather than just move around a room.. for example.. maybe I want to get some to drink off the table and then I can walk over to a girl and offer her the drink.. or I can throw the drink at her... maybe theres is a stereo in the corner.. I can go over and select a cd in it and play it.. and the people in that room will here it.. or they can walk in another room where it is not as noisy. maybe I want to take all my clothes off and walk around?

see what I am getting at ? I know someone will get around to doing this and it will really catch on.. it is sorta like that game simlife with real people

I tihnk someone will write what I am talking about.. and as time goes on make it more and more interactive

wish I could program better than 2d games with balls bouncing around

#11 borngamer   Members   -  Reputation: 204

Posted 09 June 2000 - 08:09 AM

Didn''t MSN have an interactive Star Trek chat room at one point? If I remember correctly, you chose your basic Star Trek appearance (SF, Klingon, etc), walked around and talked to people as you got closer to them.

I''m not sure if this is still around (MSN pulled out of Canada), but it might be worth a look for some ideas.

#12 I Lost My Name   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 June 2000 - 02:19 PM

I don''t know if they are still doing that but I saw on the discover channel they had a thing just like that.

#13 Tako   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 June 2000 - 02:16 PM

yea, that idea hasn''t been done yet. but why do you want to recreate socializing on the computer, go out and chat with real people for christ sakes. the reason i play games is not to do things i can in the "real" world, it''s to do stuff i could''nt, would''nt, should''nt do.

whatever

#14 Indeterminatus   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 11 June 2000 - 07:02 AM

this is a crucial point. i am sure such a program is one of those where the oppinions split up into two groups. the one group will be keen on it, the other will detest it (ok, that''s too dramatical )...

I don''t know what to say, either, but I think if someone wants to chat, he can enter a chat room, and if someone wants to kick the asses of other players, he can enter a multiplayer game (e.g. Quake)...
Well, that''s what I think. Of course a mixture sounds cool, but I think that''s quite useless (I hope you aren''t mad on me now )...

Yours,

Indeterminatus

#15 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 12 June 2000 - 05:18 AM

I am a social person and I would never replace going out with sitting on the comptuer but why be limited to either striaght CHAT or striaght killing? It would be more entertaining to do both.. its like the reason SIMLIFE is so popular.. people are sit of D&D games with dungeons and all..

I am so tired of these games.. though the other day I play some game THE RAGE or something.. first game ive played in over a year that I did not delete after 5 mins.. it is like 3d double dragons.. no monsters.. no dungeons.. no RPG!!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS