Next Graphics Card

Started by
72 comments, last by TThirion 20 years, 10 months ago
After reading numerous reviews telling me that ATI''s newest cards are of higher value than those of NVIDIA, I have chosen to get myself a Radeon. Plus, NVIDIA optimized drivers for 3DMark. Not good, NVIDIA. =( So, I checked around at specs (www.delphi3d.net) and prices. The question here is this. Is the radeon 9700 at $300 a better value than the 9800 at $400? The specs at delphi3d.net showed little (if no) difference in the OpenGL extensions and capabilities. Feedback is appreciated. Tim
Advertisement
If your a programmer or artist, I highly recommend you add 3DLabs Wildcat VP line to your list, expecially if you are using a dual or quad cpu workstation ... they wont play games near as fast as the nvidia or ati latest offering, but they sure do run 3D tools and rendering alorithms great - and they are multi-threaded.

Anyone who has experience with these, please post.
I am currently between my sophomore and junior
years at college. The card will be mainly used
to explore the programmability present in modern
hardware. So basically it will be used as a
learning platform -- not for serious professional
development of any kind.

Tim
9800 has somekind of scratch memory that let you create HUGE fragment program, AFAIK.
A feature that the 9700 do not have.

Now, how much YOU need this feature is questionnable.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
I highly recommend the 9800 PRO, unlimited shader instructions and the extra speed are worth the extra cash, IMO.
if you have the money the get the 9800 (i decided to save money and buy a 9000 instead of a 9700) i thought that spending the extra 250 on the 9700 wasn''t worth it 4 months ago, but right now i''m really regretting it, but if you cant afford then just get the 9700. Right now, chances are i''m going to replace my 9000 with a 9800 by the end of August, so it''s going to cost me more than if i just bought a 9700 to start with
Forget that s**t -> Ati!!!!!!!!
I have FX for month & I can''t imagine card that runs more stable, has nice IQ, perfect TV-OUT & so on. Drivers are a bit s**t up, because of 3D Mark that is acctually made for Ati, believe me or not!!! Compare Quake, UT, Comanche etc. in real world & you''ll see that FX ruleZ even when Ati has A LOT higher score in 3D marks! I guess 3D mark is purely made for Ati pipe []
===========================================
And Ati was cheating in Quake so they really s**k!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW, FX has nice IQ setttings which ATI lacks!

But the best option is to wait for FX5900!!!! It''ll be real killer for Doom3 with up to 45% speed increase!

I have FX for month & I can''t imagine card that runs more stable, has nice IQ, perfect TV-OUT & so on. Drivers are a bit s**t up, because of 3D Mark that is acctually made for Ati, believe me or not!!! Compare Quake, UT, Comanche etc. in real world & you''ll see that FX ruleZ even when Ati has A LOT higher score in 3D marks! I guess 3D mark is purely made for Ati pipe []
And Ati was cheating in Quake so they really s**k!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW, FX has nice IQ setttings which ATI lacks!
But the best option is to wait for FX5900!!!! It''ll be real killer for Doom3 with up to 45% speed increase! "

lets not start a flame war here
actually DOOM III isn''t everything...Radeon 9800 faster with Unreal engine for exemple....

But yes the FX9000 seem like a good card but at 499$ USD.....
Ok, I like NVidia too, but he asked for a Radeon so, you could get the 9700 and overclock it to work like a 9800

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

If you see the image I am online
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement