• Create Account

Please test my RTS game - Pax Solaris

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
120 replies to this topic

#41 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 08 July 2003 - 10:12 PM

look poppet yuor game is the BEST EVER!!!!1 i realy relay liker it!!!!!
i enjoyd it even more than the kil ldave game. that is rely saying somthing popet./ yuo rely shoud sell this on the intrnent and yuo coud mzke astrnimocaly bhuge amonts of moneys!!
yuo did a great works with the user intreface grafical also.l
onsce agen popet its a grweat game and keep up the goosd works.

Sponsor:

#42 Dobbs   Members   -  Reputation: 164

Posted 09 July 2003 - 09:23 AM

My girlfriend is now completely addicted to Pax. This is good thing because she can no longer complain about me spending too much time on my computer, but it''s also bad because the registered copy is on my computer and she hogs it all the time. Good job Diodor.

Have you thought at all about making a pluggable AI DLL system? As I see it the game has two important qualities that would make it ideal for custom AI:
1) the interface and rules are simple
2) despite this it has a lot of tactical depth
Either you as a developer or random hobbyists could write custom AI geared towards specific levels or specific play styles, or even play around with neural net AI or other goofy stuff.

#43 5010   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 July 2003 - 09:23 AM

quote:
Original post by D_JildQuantum
Update: I still havnt beaten the Crossed Level! its driving me nuts! i have beaten the others in under 10 minutes... arg crossed is crossed! rofl

This works for me...

I ignore the white star and go for the center 1st. The enemies fight over the white star, so it doesn''t build up very high. It''s easy to make sure there are enough ships nearby to scare it from attacking you.

Then after the center is secure, it can pretty much take care of itself. So I then concentrate power and take over white and spread from there like ebola on crack.

#44 Dobbs   Members   -  Reputation: 164

Posted 09 July 2003 - 09:25 AM

Yeah I use the exact same strategy on crossed and it works every time. I can beat it on hard without any difficulty.

#45 Juozasg   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 July 2003 - 03:38 PM

What a great game. Original and addictive

Simple to learn, difficult to master. More graphical feedback and few more features, such as custom speed controls and you''ve probably got the next Bejeweled.

#46 Avatar God   Members   -  Reputation: 1072

Posted 09 July 2003 - 05:17 PM

Man. I am addicted, along with everyone I know, to this game. It''s crazy. But... I haven''t been able to bring myself to buy it because I honestly don''t need to be on the computer any more than I already am...

I was wondering, Diodor, if we could get some of the actual stats for the game? (the different stars'' actual attack, defense, repair, speed and production rates?) I''m really just curious - I don''t have the capacity to make a game anyways, so don''t worry about me stealing anything...

-geo
red eye is coming back (the old site is still around, albeit in a weird transitional form)

#47 Diodor   Members   -  Reputation: 517

Posted 09 July 2003 - 05:58 PM

quote:

Original post by Dobbs

My girlfriend is now completely addicted to Pax. This is good thing because she can no longer complain about me spending too much time on my computer, but it''s also bad because the registered copy is on my computer and she hogs it all the time. Good job Diodor.

Did you play some hotseat or networked games yet?

quote:

Have you thought at all about making a pluggable AI DLL system? As I see it the game has two important qualities that would make it ideal for custom AI:
1) the interface and rules are simple
2) despite this it has a lot of tactical depth
Either you as a developer or random hobbyists could write custom AI geared towards specific levels or specific play styles, or even play around with neural net AI or other goofy stuff.

This is a great idea. I''d prefer a scripting language like lua to be sure against any security issues, but other than this, there are little hindering practical issues. In fact, the AI right now only has some 150 lines.

I''m slightly worried though that different AI could make the game less interesting. As it stands now the AI is a good combination of careless defense, predictability, relentless attack and fast, violent reactions to any breakthrough. I''ve been playing Pax for months and I still find it challenging. I have just beaten the "tree" level on hard with all the sides - insanely difficult - you really must predict what the AI''s will do and try to balance the two AI opponents so that none of them gets ahead.

quote:

Original post by Juozasg

Simple to learn, difficult to master. More graphical feedback and few more features, such as custom speed controls and you''ve probably got the next Bejeweled.

Speed controls (only allowing the game to go faster) are already coded, they should be online in a day or two.

quote:

Original post by Avatar God

I was wondering, Diodor, if we could get some of the actual stats for the game? (the different stars'' actual attack, defense, repair, speed and production rates?) I''m really just curious - I don''t have the capacity to make a game anyways, so don''t worry about me stealing anything...

Sure. The game_config.txt file in your game directory has all the stats you want, explained. In fact, it is possible to change the way the game behaves too. There are some more interesting files around there - config.txt, tutorial.txt, register.url

#48 D_JildQuantum   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 July 2003 - 01:08 PM

Hey! Im trying out the Crossed Level as we speak, and it hit me. What about an Alliance System? it wouldnt make the interface to much more complicated, and it would add an all new deapth to the game! here is what im thinking:

Each player has like an Icon at the top right hand corner of the screen, and when you click one it opens up the diplomacy screen for that player, while pausing the game. Then, you ask that player to form an alliance, or a StarShip Tribute thingie, or a Mutual Pact agreement, or a Right of Passage agreement, and then with each one, the other AI player analyses the power of you, and then makes a decision to accept or deny.

I know i have been coming up with wierd ideas lately, but i think this one hit the mark! and i know you have probably thought of it, but im just saying it would mabee nudge me into buying the CD Key

Quantum

#49 Avatar God   Members   -  Reputation: 1072

Posted 10 July 2003 - 04:26 PM

Boy, would an alliance system change the game up. I''m just worried that everyone else will team up against me. And I would want to turn it on and off (before the game starts) if there was one. I like beating everyone.

Thanks for the game_config file! It''s cool knowing what your odds are. Of course, I was hoping for a register.txt with something like:

; if non-zero, player is registered
AM_I_REGISTERED = 0

-geo
red eye is coming back (the old site is still around, albeit in a weird transitional form)

#50 Diodor   Members   -  Reputation: 517

Posted 10 July 2003 - 06:41 PM

quote:

Each player has like an Icon at the top right hand corner of the screen, and when you click one it opens up the diplomacy screen for that player, while pausing the game. Then, you ask that player to form an alliance, or a StarShip Tribute thingie, or a Mutual Pact agreement, or a Right of Passage agreement, and then with each one, the other AI player analyses the power of you, and then makes a decision to accept or deny.

Been playing Civ 3 haven''t you? (great game btw) On the medium and hard difficulty modes something like what you mention works already: if one player grows too strong, the other players become more peaceful to one another: the attack treshold is raised. This is only a subtle change though, I feared that if I push this idea too much the game would turn into a stalemate.

Btw, on the hard difficulty modes on some levels a primitive form of diplomacy is necessary. On the tree level for instance, playing red, you must retreat in such a fashion as to leave the two other players balanced and you must try to help the player that tends to fall behind. You come to think of an AI player as your friend and of the other as the enemy.

There is an alliance system in the online play, if anyone gets to play a multiplayer game with at least three people I''d love to hear how does the diplomacy work.

quote:

Thanks for the game_config file! It''s cool knowing what your odds are. Of course, I was hoping for a register.txt with something like:

; if non-zero, player is registered
AM_I_REGISTERED = 0

Actually there was something like this for debugging purposes. I checked it again and (thankfully) it doesn''t still work. Btw, there''s a "registered" variable in all the levels It will only change the color of the level entry from red to green though, you still can''t play the levels

#51 D_JildQuantum   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 July 2003 - 03:53 AM

Hey! It worked! i took control of the center, and then i took over one of the branches, and the white star was all that was left there, and so i took that over, and they had been fighting for it so it wasnt that big, then i loaded all my troops from the two branches into it, and then.... well you know.... UNIVERSAL DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

anyway, doider: what language do you use? i have a strong feeling its DirectX in C++, but correct me if im wrong. oh and i have been playing Civ3^_^ its just so fun! gunna go play crossed again, cya!

Quantum

#52 Diodor   Members   -  Reputation: 517

Posted 12 July 2003 - 04:17 AM

quote:

anyway, doider: what language do you use? i have a strong feeling its DirectX in C++, but correct me if im wrong.

Close. C and SDL (and SDL_Image and SDL_Net).

#53 jack_1313   Members   -  Reputation: 536

Posted 12 July 2003 - 04:58 PM

Nice game.
I think that the larget problem is to do with the graphics - someone said it was difficult to notice that their stars were being attacked. Perhaps the stars that are under attack should be highlighted with a red box or something like that, which would make the game better. Also, I found the graphics to generally be boring. It might be nice if the stars slowly rotated. Tiny explosions that go off continuesly on the stars that are under attack would be good.

#54 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9860

Posted 13 July 2003 - 01:32 AM

Since the game is SDL based, would you be willing to compile a Mac OS X build? It should take all of half an hour to get it up and running.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Making cross-platform software actaully cross-platform (meaning compiles on OS X)

#55 Diodor   Members   -  Reputation: 517

Posted 13 July 2003 - 03:37 AM

quote:

Original post by switfcoder

Since the game is SDL based, would you be willing to compile a Mac OS X build? It should take all of half an hour to get it up and running.

Yes, I meant to do this eventually. I expect there will be some issues though. Can I compile and test the Mac OS X build on a Windows box? Here and there I have been using some Windows functions, so the code will also need some minor changes. I''m not sure the Armadillo protection system I use will work on the Mac, likewise for the Inno Setup installer. The SDL dll''s may need a recompile too (I compile using Mingw and Dev-Cpp - do these work on the Mac as well?). And lastly, do Mac mice still have only one button?

#56 Avatar God   Members   -  Reputation: 1072

Posted 13 July 2003 - 04:09 PM

Actually, I have to agree with all the people who say it''s difficult to notice when your stars get attacked. I will often (esp when I hold the white star) not notice that my star is under attack (and I probably have reinforcements standing pretty close) until it, and all the planets behind it are gone. Needless to say, this is an easy way to lose a game. Despite the fact that I''m relatively game-savvy, I don''t always realize that I no longer HOLD the damn planet, and I try and move troops to/from it... and it doesn''t work! (For someone who can make a 1500 on the SAT1 REASONING test, you''d think I''d notice when ''my'' planet is no longer held by white numbers...) And I don''t realize (again) that I''ve lost all but three planets until it''s much too late. So maybe red arrows when someone attacks your planets? I don''t know, but it sure would help.

-geo

#57 RTF   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 14 July 2003 - 10:37 AM

It''s a great game. My suggestions would be like the others: make it easier to see when you''re attacked. I once totally trashed a game on the Risk map because I had let the computer go in through the white star(Alaska) when I was busy pushing east and never turned my attention back to the west until I noticed that it wasn''t white anymore...

Put some effects on stars losing ships, and add color to lines of supply for selected stars so that you can tell what''s missing immediately instead of noticing that one of the stars has 100 ships on it going to waste.

#58 Avatar God   Members   -  Reputation: 1072

Posted 14 July 2003 - 04:23 PM

Hmm. One more thing that has been annoying me. It keeps pausing, for no apparent reason. Sometimes I''ll just be sitting there watching, move the mouse and bam! it''s paused, or I''ll be clicking around and bam! it pauses. Just wondering. I can''t find any particular reason for this.

-geo

#59 Diodor   Members   -  Reputation: 517

Posted 14 July 2003 - 08:32 PM

quote:

Original post by RTF

Put some effects on stars losing ships, and add color to lines of supply for selected stars so that you can tell what's missing immediately instead of noticing that one of the stars has 100 ships on it going to waste.

That's a good idea and I'll probably add it to the game.

quote:

Hmm. One more thing that has been annoying me. It keeps pausing, for no apparent reason. Sometimes I'll just be sitting there watching, move the mouse and bam! it's paused, or I'll be clicking around and bam! it pauses. Just wondering. I can't find any particular reason for this.

That's very annoying news. I thought I cleared that bug. The game is supposed to pause automatically when it loses focus. Is it possible that this happens - some app in the background misbehaving? How often does this happen?

[edited by - Diodor on July 15, 2003 3:33:26 AM]

#60 D_JildQuantum   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 July 2003 - 02:53 PM

Hey i just thaught i might let you know, This could become the next Stick Soldiers And, i have been messing around with the editor, and come up with some really interesting designs. The first one is called Quantum, and there are four outer squres of 5 stars, each outer squre connected by a white star to a wierd design in the center, and i made one called Focus, where theres mabee 15 stars that 3 players have to get along on, and then you have this other area the same size, and they both are unlinked except for one star. Let me know if you want to add them into the game, or sell them as updates or something :-D

Quantum

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS