• Create Account

Please test my RTS game - Pax Solaris

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
120 replies to this topic

#81 Avatar God   Members   -  Reputation: 1072

Posted 23 July 2003 - 08:56 PM

I usually just click. I drag for supply lines, but that''s about it.

I like the strategy stuff on the site. I already did pretty much all of it, but didn''t realize how effective blocking and tactical retreats were.

-geo
MEB | MEB Mk3 | Horns | Jazz | CGuard | WGuard | Perc | DCP | 4E3: Ele | Chem | redeye | redeyeV2

Sponsor:

#82 D_JildQuantum   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 July 2003 - 05:50 AM

Does anyone ust a triangle formation? what i do somethimes, if i have3 stars connected in a triangle that need protecting, i lead supplies into one of the star, and then move them out of that star to the next, and to the next, and back, so it creates a ring. This helps alot, as there is constant protection, and it incorperates new stars into it easily.

Quantum

#83 Avatar God   Members   -  Reputation: 1072

Posted 24 July 2003 - 08:25 AM

Hey, that''s not a bad idea. Keeps the constant flow of ships moving around.

-geo
MEB | MEB Mk3 | Horns | Jazz | CGuard | WGuard | Perc | DCP | 4E3: Ele | Chem | redeye | redeyeV2

#84 5010   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 July 2003 - 09:10 AM

quote:
Original post by D_JildQuantum
Does anyone use a triangle formation?...

No, I like to put just enough ships in each star to scare off the enemy stars attached. But if the triangle was connected to a white star held by an enemy, then it might be useful.

#85 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 24 July 2003 - 01:29 PM

Just trying out your game, and I noticed a few spelling mistakes on the tutorial pages:
1/5-Intro.
You have spelt "bellow" and it should be "below".

4/5 - Combat Training
You have an spelt "it''s" but it should be "its" (weird spelling with apostrophes in English)

A minor thing, but correcting your spelling makes the game look more professional

Also - is it possible to maximise the game? please?
it''s very annoying having a border of other windows around it

Great game overall though

#86 D_JildQuantum   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 July 2003 - 01:40 PM

Hehe anon: Isnt it useful to be Anonymous when your criticizing people? :-P

Quantum

#87 Diodor   Members   -  Reputation: 517

Posted 24 July 2003 - 05:28 PM

quote:

1/5-Intro.
You have spelt "bellow" and it should be "below".

4/5 - Combat Training
You have an spelt "it''s" but it should be "its" (weird spelling with apostrophes in English)

Thanks, I''ll change those.

quote:

Also - is it possible to maximise the game? please?
it''s very annoying having a border of other windows around it

Yes, I guess I should do this eventually..

#88 SubQuantum   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 August 2003 - 08:29 AM

I downloaded this game a few weeks ago, and love it! The simple rule set means that if I fail (which happens more often than I''ll admit) it is indeed because of MY inablity to click and tendancy to get virtual tunnel vision, not the game''s design. I am working my first big game, and am still in the very beginning, so I just have to admire at how fun a game can be while not being immensily complex. The moment I get a chance, I''m regeristing: I''ve really been itching to play those other levels! Even with the demo, this is easily the most addictive game on my hard drive.

#89 solinear   Members   -  Reputation: 145

Posted 24 August 2003 - 02:36 AM

I was noticing some of the same problems that many people have with the game and they''re some of the same issues that I have.

I think that the problem with not knowing when you''re being attacked could easily be fixed by making your stars under attack blink red or maybe blink with the color that is attacking them, but that might make problems when more than one person is attacking you, so just making your stars blink red would probably be good enough.

#90 Diodor   Members   -  Reputation: 517

Posted 24 August 2003 - 06:01 PM

quote:

Original post by Subquantum

I downloaded this game a few weeks ago, and love it! The simple rule set means that if I fail (which happens more often than I''ll admit) it is indeed because of MY inablity to click and tendancy to get virtual tunnel vision, not the game''s design.

Thanks!

quote:

I am working my first big game, and am still in the very beginning, so I just have to admire at how fun a game can be while not being immensily complex.

Yes, simplicity has many advantages. You know you can finish coding and polishing the game, it''s easier for the players to pick it up and start playing it, it''s easier for you to explain the game to the players. Even as simple as it is though, Pax was a challenge to write. It took me some five months full-time and some external help.

quote:

Original post by solinear

I was noticing some of the same problems that many people have with the game and they''re some of the same issues that I have.

I think that the problem with not knowing when you''re being attacked could easily be fixed by making your stars under attack blink red or maybe blink with the color that is attacking them, but that might make problems when more than one person is attacking you, so just making your stars blink red would probably be good enough.

I''ll try to make the attacking arrows blink, and if that doesn''t work well enough, I''ll add some other form of signaling a star being under attack.

There''ll be a new update out in a few days. I have added a colored outline around all the stars of a player, so now you can see your teritory at a glance, and you can also easily see when one of your stars is captured.

#91 coderx75   Members   -  Reputation: 406

Posted 25 August 2003 - 07:51 AM

quote:
Original post by Diodor
I''ll try to make the attacking arrows blink, and if that doesn''t work well enough, I''ll add some other form of signaling a star being under attack.

Any way you can make that an option? I kinda like the challenge of having to pay attention to everything at once. The blinking arrows would just make it too easy for me since that''s one of the main reasons I get muh arse kicked: losing focus.

Hmmm, an attack warning option would complicate network play. All players would have to have it set the same as not to give anyone an advantage.

I''d also like to congratualate you on such a great game. It IS incredibly addictive as so many others have commented. Now that I''m working full time, I can afford to buy the game! WOOHOO!

- Jay

[ Here, taste this ]

#92 Diodor   Members   -  Reputation: 517

Posted 25 August 2003 - 07:53 PM

quote:

Original post by coderx75

Any way you can make that an option? I kinda like the challenge of having to pay attention to everything at once. The blinking arrows would just make it too easy for me since that''s one of the main reasons I get muh arse kicked: losing focus.

Hmmm, an attack warning option would complicate network play. All players would have to have it set the same as not to give anyone an advantage.

Heh, finally someone agrees with me. Dealing with the difficulty of paying attention to the entire map _is_ great gameplay. On the other hand, I played the new version of the game and I don''t dislike it. It gives a sense of urgency when the computer breaks through your lines and all the arrows on the map start blipping It also allows you to focus on the main strategic gameplay of Pax

Anyway, one of the purpuses of the next update is to make the demo easier. I have added a whole new difficulty level actually, easier than the former easy.

#93 blueEbola   Members   -  Reputation: 464

Posted 25 August 2003 - 08:34 PM

I''m going to have to visit the game design forum more often, I can''t believe I missed a great game like this!

Really cool game Diodor, excellent work. It was kind of daunting at first though, because of how large the map was and how much ground you have to cover in order to win. But after playing for about 10 minutes and taking over half of the map, it gets easier.

Games as addictive to these ones are rare, you''ve got yourself a real gem here.

#94 coderx75   Members   -  Reputation: 406

Posted 26 August 2003 - 03:18 AM

quote:
Original post by Diodor
Heh, finally someone agrees with me. Dealing with the difficulty of paying attention to the entire map _is_ great gameplay. On the other hand, I played the new version of the game and I don''t dislike it. It gives a sense of urgency when the computer breaks through your lines and all the arrows on the map start blipping It also allows you to focus on the main strategic gameplay of Pax

Like I said, I think it be a great option. After all, the game has already been released without the feature so many of us are already used to playing it like that. But, I can imagine I might enjoy it more... maybe. I can also imagine that after a few hours of playing (which usually ends up being the case) the constant blinking could get irritating.
quote:
Original post by Diodor
Anyway, one of the purpuses of the next update is to make the demo easier. I have added a whole new difficulty level actually, easier than the former easy.

Hehe, I dunno, I''ve never played on easy before =)

#95 Diodor   Members   -  Reputation: 517

Posted 27 August 2003 - 08:20 AM

quote:

Original post by blueEbola

I''m going to have to visit the game design forum more often, I can''t believe I missed a great game like this!

Really cool game Diodor, excellent work. It was kind of daunting at first though, because of how large the map was and how much ground you have to cover in order to win. But after playing for about 10 minutes and taking over half of the map, it gets easier.

Games as addictive to these ones are rare, you''ve got yourself a real gem here.

Thanks!

What level did you play at first? (I guess "one"). I''m changing the demo so it will be a lot easier to win, even from the first play. "Daunting" is definitely not what I want the first (and most important) contact with the game to be

quote:

Original post by coderx75

Like I said, I think it be a great option. After all, the game has already been released without the feature so many of us are already used to playing it like that. But, I can imagine I might enjoy it more... maybe. I can also imagine that after a few hours of playing (which usually ends up being the case) the constant blinking could get irritating.

I''m sure you''ll like the new version. Anyway, it is now possible to disable the blinking from a config file.

quote:

Hehe, I dunno, I''ve never played on easy before =)

Then you have a full version already? You must have played easy the first time you tried the demo.

#96 coderx75   Members   -  Reputation: 406

Posted 27 August 2003 - 01:16 PM

quote:
Original post by Diodor
Then you have a full version already? You must have played easy the first time you tried the demo.

OMFG! I''d forgotten that the demo only allows the easy level. I can''t even imagine what it would be like on hard. The easy level IS tough. It took me several attempts to beat each of the demo maps.

#97 Odoacer   Members   -  Reputation: 140

Posted 28 August 2003 - 12:10 PM

great game... keep up the good work

and i agree with what some other people have said about making it a little more obvious if your star is under attack. But once I started getting the hang of things, I started noticing things like that more often so i suppose it''s not that big of a deal if someone is willing to put in 10 minutes to learn the game.

high five, yo

#98 Diodor   Members   -  Reputation: 517

Posted 29 August 2003 - 07:56 AM

A new version of Pax is now online. This one should solve the problems with noticing enemy attacks and seeing the whole map situation at a glance. Here''s what the new version looks like.

#99 grimes   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 30 August 2003 - 09:14 AM

Looks even better, now I actually notice what the AI are doing. But why''d you have to make the demo so easy? Now I''m going to have to register for a challenge. Why must you take my money away with your addictive gameplay?

#100 Diodor   Members   -  Reputation: 517

Posted 30 August 2003 - 06:44 PM

quote:

Original post by grimes

Looks even better, now I actually notice what the AI are doing. But why''d you have to make the demo so easy? Now I''m going to have to register for a challenge. Why must you take my money away with your addictive gameplay?

Word for word, that''s exactly what I wanted to hear

About the money. Without going into how much work I''ve put into this and so forth. A good steady income would allow me to keep working on further improving the game.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS