• Create Account

Please test my RTS game - Pax Solaris

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
120 replies to this topic

#101 QReboundSoftware   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 September 2003 - 01:01 PM

Hey Doider: I just checked up on this, havnt been here for a while, and im about to download your new version. Oh BTW, its me, D_JildQuantum :-D Im working on my first few games (finally got the ball rolling) and mabee after a few, i could help you with a sequel or something? :-D Anyway, I have one last question:

Can i use your game and make a clone of it, but like... not redistribute it? What i want to do, is just recreate it with Direct3D for a learning experience, without getting into any Trouble with the law. And as soon as i tart selling my breakout clone, you can expect me to buy the full version

Sponsor:

#102 Diodor   Members   -  Reputation: 517

Posted 01 September 2003 - 05:48 PM

quote:

Original post by QReboundSoftware

Hey Doider: I just checked up on this, havnt been here for a while, and im about to download your new version. Oh BTW, its me, D_JildQuantum :-D Im working on my first few games (finally got the ball rolling) and mabee after a few, i could help you with a sequel or something? :-D Anyway, I have one last question:

We''ll see. I kind of like being a lone wolf though

quote:

Can i use your game and make a clone of it, but like... not redistribute it? What i want to do, is just recreate it with Direct3D for a learning experience, without getting into any Trouble with the law. And as soon as i tart selling my breakout clone, you can expect me to buy the full version

As I have said, I''m not Hasbro, and although my publisher _is_ studying the law, sueing people around isn''t what we do. Just don''t do anything obviously wrong.

#103 QReboundSoftware   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 September 2003 - 10:08 AM

Ok, thanks. Oh, and about the full version: the only reason i havnt bought it up until now, is that im afraid i will spend the money, but then you will update it with some cool feature, and i will miss out on it. Is there an auto Update feature?

#104 Diodor   Members   -  Reputation: 517

Posted 03 September 2003 - 10:39 AM

quote:

Is there an auto Update feature?

No there isn''t. You have to re-download new versions of the game and re-install them (you don''t need to enter the password again for the new versions though).

I''ll ask my publisher to send out an e-mail to all the customers for more important future updates.

#105 HellRiZZer   Members   -  Reputation: 308

Posted 18 October 2003 - 09:48 PM

Excellent game, man! Top gameplay quality! Going to buy it right now!

" Do we need us? "

Ionware Productions - Games and Game Tools Development

#106 trapdoor   Members   -  Reputation: 130

Posted 18 October 2003 - 10:06 PM

Is there more than one AI? Coded I mean. As in the different AI has different strategies?

#107 HellRiZZer   Members   -  Reputation: 308

Posted 18 October 2003 - 11:24 PM

One more thing: how do you come up with such ideas? E.g do they just pop in your head, or someome tells you. This game is original (at least to me), so I was wondering..

" Do we need us? "

Ionware Productions - Games and Game Tools Development

#108 Diodor   Members   -  Reputation: 517

Posted 19 October 2003 - 01:55 AM

quote:

Original post by HellRiZZer

One more thing: how do you come up with such ideas? E.g do they just pop in your head, or someome tells you. This game is original (at least to me), so I was wondering..

Many ideas and thought fragments come from other games, threads in this forum, even WWII history. I would presume none of the ideas of Pax are original: the game is very similar with Risk; I have seen automatic movement of troops in another game (Lords of the Realm? I don''t quite remember) the damaged armies that get repaired on retreat are borrowed from Panzer General; the game looks come from Master of Orion; I''ve encountered the gameplay strategy of cutting enemy forces in pieces to achieve faster victories in the shareware game Slay. There were also a few ideas that simply popped out of nowhere - but only after playing early versions of Pax over and over and gathering a very good knowledge of the game and its shortcomings.

I''d say the most difficult part is not having the ideas, but telling which are good and which are not, which are feature creep and which would significantly improve the game.

quote:

Original post by trapdoor

Is there more than one AI? Coded I mean. As in the different AI has different strategies?

There are some differences between the AI used on the different difficulty levels, but, overall, the same AI is used throughout the game.

#109 Oberon_Command   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1906

Posted 19 October 2003 - 06:13 AM

Very nice. That''s cool!

There is a reason for everything.

www.oberonstudios.cjb.net

#110 Oberon_Command   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1906

Posted 19 October 2003 - 06:24 AM

The game is very good, but what I think it needs is some background music. So you could either hire a composer or compose the music yourself, if you want music to it. Sound would also be nice, like the sound of engines when you move and lasers when you attack.

Otherwise, it is a very good game.

There is a reason for everything.

www.oberonstudios.cjb.net

#111 Dwiel   Members   -  Reputation: 365

Posted 19 October 2003 - 06:44 AM

I really like the real-time risk stradegy. Very original idea. I agree that it could use some more sound to further imersify the player, but other than that, it is amazing! props for getting that ''finished''

Dwiel

#112 Squarefox   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 October 2003 - 02:02 AM

Fun & addictive, very original idea - I like this game too.
Respect.

#113 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 21 February 2004 - 12:35 AM

Most impressed - will post comments later

#114 ahw   Members   -  Reputation: 263

Posted 23 February 2004 - 09:10 AM

BTW, Diodor, I hope you ll be pleased to know your game was on the CD of a French mag called PC Team. And got quite a nice review there

I thought it was a nice concept, although I have to say the colour coding is a bit annoying to remember (although it *does* make sense).

Maybe having some sort of icon appearing next to a star when you hover on it so that you get a quick reminder of the special property of a particular coloured star ?

Anyway, pretty cool game overall

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

#115 Iron Chef Carnage   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1840

Posted 23 February 2004 - 09:23 AM

Shouldn''t this thread be closed by now?

And who is this anonymous necromancer? I can only assume that it''s the same schmuck resurrecting all these ancient threads and contributing absolutely nothing to them, promises of later contributions notwithstanding.

#116 Diodor   Members   -  Reputation: 517

Posted 23 February 2004 - 03:38 PM

quote:
Original post by ahw
BTW, Diodor, I hope you ll be pleased to know your game was on the CD of a French mag called PC Team. And got quite a nice review there

I didn't know that Cool!

quote:

I thought it was a nice concept, although I have to say the colour coding is a bit annoying to remember (although it *does* make sense).

Maybe having some sort of icon appearing next to a star when you hover on it so that you get a quick reminder of the special property of a particular coloured star ?

The bonus of each star color is displayed in the upper left corner of the screen when you select a star. I think if I make tool-tips appear on the map it may become annoying for the advanced player who doesn't need them anymore.

Anyway, my idea is that the game can be played without knowing what advantage each of the star types offer - especially since the difficulty in the demo version is so low.

Perhaps I should find some graphical form of making the advantages of the stars obvious... Make the yellow star build units as often as the other stars - but let them build two units at once - to prove their increased production. Add double movement arrows from blue stars. Add double attack arrows from green stars etc.

[edited by - Diodor on February 23, 2004 10:44:12 PM]

#117 PaulCesar   Members   -  Reputation: 524

Posted 23 February 2004 - 04:12 PM

Wow, your game seems to have been quite successfull (not to mention enjoyable. Im interested in knowing the sales approx. sales figures a great inde game like this brings in though. Is it enough to work it full time? Or do you need a day job like the rest of us.

Sincerly
R.P.C

#118 Diodor   Members   -  Reputation: 517

Posted 23 February 2004 - 04:41 PM

quote:
Wow, your game seems to have been quite successfull (not to mention enjoyable. Im interested in knowing the sales approx. sales figures a great inde game like this brings in though. Is it enough to work it full time? Or do you need a day job like the rest of us.

I get about one sale a day. I got two a day in January when download.com featured Pax on their main games page for a week. So not really enough for full-time. Then again, when it first launched Pax did a sale a week, so I expect with some more improvements I''ll be able to get it to sell better (I''m working on version 1.09 now ).

#119 ahw   Members   -  Reputation: 263

Posted 24 February 2004 - 08:54 AM

Opps, sorry I didnt notice the necro, there.
but since I saw the demo in that French mag last month I thought it was OK to answer.
Plus Diodor *is* still here, eh

One sale a day is pretty cool, better than working some shitty job with awful hours to make ends meet, I guess.

Anyway...

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

#120 Diodor   Members   -  Reputation: 517

Posted 24 February 2004 - 10:32 AM

quote:
Original post by ahw
Plus Diodor *is* still here, eh

And I am *still* working on this game.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS