• Create Account

Need feedback on DOS 1-on-1 deathmatch game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 iridia   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 June 2000 - 01:23 PM

I am currently developing a game for DOS where you and a friend battle it out against each other. It''s kinda like a platform game, but there are no cpu enemies to defeat, only your human opponent. The main game engine is nearly finished, but there are no menus and no titlescreen yet. The speed of the game is not yet determined by the internal clock, so it will run faster on a faster computer. The game is speed-optimized for a PIII 450 or 500, running at slightly over 100 fps. I need feedback on the gameplay, thing to add/remove/improve. get the game at http://w1.875.telia.com/~u87504797/PROG/m3test.zip

Sponsor:

#2 Nevar   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 15 June 2000 - 02:42 PM

pretty neat but its WAAAAAY too slow!

a cool idea though! just needs to be sped up and better graphics

#3 iridia   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 June 2000 - 03:02 PM

Ok, it really needs a fast machine now to flow neatly, but I''ll fix that soon... it''ll only take ONE more line of code to allow the user to choose a lower ideal fps, that is, skip frames from being dislayed.

I tosses in a titlescreen, just for the sake of it...

Ok, ignore that "soon" part above... I just fixed it...

now, to speed up the game, start it with a number as a commandline parameter.

c:\where-ever-you-have-the-game\mortar 2, for example, starts the game and makes it display only every 2nd frame, giving it a great boost in terms of speed.

#4 nes8bit   Members   -  Reputation: 275

Posted 15 June 2000 - 05:55 PM

Very cool. I''m betting that''s gonna be fun playing with someone else. I like the particle explosions.

-Suggestion-
Use a timer so you don''t have to skip frames. I''m sure you can get this to work on a pentium 100 if done correctly.

------------------------
Captured Reality.

#5 cow_in_the_well   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 622

Posted 15 June 2000 - 06:38 PM

thats cool! reminds me of worms, just realtime... just needs to be smooth and fast and it''d be quite adictive....

-----------------------------
-cow_in_the_well

http://cowswell.gda.ods.org/

#6 Aragorn   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 June 2000 - 01:12 AM

Hi

Funny game, tried it just alone, but think it''s much fun for two.
Looking forward to see it ready, with different levels etc.

By the way I tried it on a P133 and it was fast enough.

#7 s9801758   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 June 2000 - 01:40 AM

One word:

AWESOME!!!!

Good work!!
Jaap Suter

#8 DeShawn   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 June 2000 - 04:17 AM

That game was great! I like the weapons, too. One suggestion, and one question... Is that how all arenas will be? The suggestion... the characters should be larger.

#9 iridia   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 June 2000 - 04:46 AM

Well, I think that larger characters would make the arena feel a bit "tight". As for the style of the arenas, I don''t know exactly how they will be, but I''ll try to make the as diverse as possible.

#10 Eric   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 18 June 2000 - 07:06 PM

Dude, this rocks. Sometimes I wish I could have gotten into games 10 years earlier, so that I could make games like this (commercially, I mean). My feedback:

- The player and arena size are perfect.
- The variety of weapons is great. But, considering how difficult it is to aim with keys, maybe you could have a target-locking system and homing weapons.
- An idea: I started a 2D game kinda like this once, and it had trampolines (not very realistic/logical, but pretty fun).
- Real-time lighting would be cool.
- Animation for running and jumping would be cool.
- How ''bout some simulated water? With today''s machines, you could afford to simulate water as pixel-sized particles. So you could have a pool of water, and a player could shoot out the bottom, causing some tunnel to flood

#11 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 18 June 2000 - 11:46 PM

Good to get some real ideas, here''s my thoughts about them:

Target locking / Homing:

I will probably have some kind of homing weapon in the game, but I don''t think that all should be like that. I think that a laser sight you can toggle on/off would be a better solution to the problem of aiming.

I have considered trampolines/jumppads, but for now that''s not on the to-do-list.

real-time lighting.. hmm, I can do that as long as I stick to an arena in grayscale.

animations would be cool, even though it would be hard to make them look good when the player is 7*8 pixels or something like that.

I have seen simulated water based on particles in a game called Wings or something like that, and I think it looks to ''pixeled''. but it could be worth the effort, so maybe I''ll try.

#12 iridia   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 19 June 2000 - 03:28 AM

I have now added some dynamic lighting, try the grenadelauncher or the rocketlauncher. I also fixed some minor bugs.

#13 Hiijak   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 June 2000 - 08:47 AM

heh, I see you have played liero. but you have alot of more work to beat liero. But it''s well done

#14 furby100   Members   -  Reputation: 102

Posted 22 June 2000 - 09:23 AM

Liero is crap. The turn based aspect of worms is what made it good. I mean, your opponent suddenly realising that you are about to kill them and that there''s nothing they can do about it. Liero removes the strategy aspect. Well in my opinion anyway. Try and get the game to run a bit faster instead of skipping frames.

------------------------------
#pragma twice

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS