• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

[java] Java Beginner

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dee   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 June 2000 - 04:55 PM

I decided to learn java, but my first program has an unsolvable error and i''m all lost... not to mention a mental breakdown... import java.awt.*; import hsa.Console; they say that hsa.Console is unaccessible... so there''s an error with that line.. but i got it straight from a text book.. help

Sponsor:

#2 joeG   Members   -  Reputation: 172

Posted 15 June 2000 - 05:22 PM

Hello. Did you get a CD with your textbook? If so then you need to copy the directory hsa to a more permanent (from the perspective that you might want to use the CD-ROM drive for something else not to denote that a hard drive is more permanent then a CD-ROM drive ) place. When you go to compile your class files you need to type in the following

javac -classpath $ABSOLUTE_PATH_OF_THE_HSA_DIRECTORY yourFile.java

That should work. If your copy didn''t come with a CD check to see if there''s a URL or FTP site where you can download the hsa package. Follow the same directions as above.

joeG

#3 Jim_Ross   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 June 2000 - 04:30 AM

the line
import hsa.Console

means that your program needs a class ''Console'' from a package ''hsa''. This package and class are not standard with a java developer''s kit distrobution, like joeG said, they are probably on a CD somewhere that you got with your book. Packages translate to directory sturcture, so a package of book.specialized.hsa would be a directory structure of
book \
specialized \
hsa
Then you would find Console.java or Console.class in there.

#4 Dee   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 June 2000 - 05:33 PM

haha, i thought it was part of the JDK, but i got it fixed...
but now... another problem..

Does anyone know Visual Age for Java

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS