• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Don't forget to read Tuesday's email newsletter for your chance to win a free copy of Construct 2!

[java] Java history: Year Ago

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Goatse   Banned   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 21 June 2000 - 08:58 PM

Who remembers what happened year ago. Which was Java''s current version those days and what were currently hyped techs. I just want to remind those people who have said that 1.1 - 1.3 Java hasn''t had any major changes. If I remember right Swing and Java Beans were currently coming and Java was it''s 1.1 version althought there was 1.2 betas. Also there were no g2D, *shiver*. Time comes, time goes and I only am.

Sponsor:

#2 SteveMeister   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 June 2000 - 02:02 AM

Swing was out long before a year ago. I was writing GUI''s with Swing back in early ''98, back when the swing packages were under the com.sun.java package hierarchy, before they came up with the javax hierarchy.

#3 Aldacron   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 3238

Posted 22 June 2000 - 03:05 AM

IIRC, the final release of 1.2 was in late Nov or early Dec of 98.

#4 Captain Goatse   Banned   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 22 June 2000 - 04:29 AM

I don''t know why, but I found swing and Java 1.2 last year and I thought I was early, or then I just have amnesia. But anyhow, what did we expect year ago? I didn''t use much g2D, i was almost afraid of it and just sticked with normal graphics.

#5 ernestw   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 June 2000 - 01:14 PM

Heh. I remember when they switched from com.sun.java to javax naming convention . . . broke half my stuff I was writing at the time.

I remember complaining about how the JTables and JLists weren''t working correctly in the JDK1.2 betas and one of the Java gurus in the office was telling me "well I remember way back when Java 1.1 was in beta. Boy was that hell!"

Heh now JDK1.2 is pretty solid now and Java 2 1.3 has just come out (just a month or so ago, I was doing some MIDI experimentation with the 1.3 beta and when they changed to RC1, half my stuff broke again -- argh!)

-Ernest

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS