games that make you cry!!

Started by
15 comments, last by uray 20 years, 8 months ago
i never look games like this... can anyone tellme if there is.. if not,can we write one?
Uray L. Meiviar
Advertisement
so...
none have any idea to create games that
make player crying huh?!!
Uray L. Meiviar
Well - If you want to create a game that makes the user cry, you actually have to do work, and that is why there is no real game geared to make the user cry. If you want to do this, you have to work human feelings into the design. Also, the design should be more cinematic then like a game. So far every genre for games would suck for making a game that will make the user cry. I think it is very possible, but as a commercial game, it will never be. Good luck though if you are trying to do that. Also - the game needs to let the user have good interaction with the other characters.
Disgruntled designers are always the best ones
so if i can design it, will it be revolutionary on game genre?
Uray L. Meiviar
there are games that make user cry ...

BUT here''s why it is not common:

- I agree, it''s HARD to do

- A game should not be predictable, but the only way people know how to make people cry is to pull on their emotions in certain ways ... this is more like a movie or story than a game ... I admit, most games have linear story lines, but that is more of a flaw, due to current technology, than a real element of game design. Most computer games are not true games, but blends of game and story ... which would allow you to evoke crying.

- For a true game to evoke crying can only be by upsetting the player through their failure - how can football, chess, skeeball, poker, etc. make a person cry, though self anger and feelings of abject failure. Most people HATE these feelings, and would not pay for a game which evokes them often. This is the fundamental difference between games and stories, stories are the emotional journeys of others, and can evoke enjoyable tears, games are contests of the self, and can only evoke satisfaction (hapiness), determination (to overcome or succeed), and rejection/failure.
ok,if people crying because they upset to what they did,nobody will enjoy to play it...
but if there is a story that affect the player emotion and making they crying because
they are being involved and get into the story... it is just like the movie...
they crying for a sad story but still love to watching movie like this,
can we make story like this for a game, and the gameplay is the tools to get the player
into the story and what they see and hear will affect to player emotions
Uray L. Meiviar
I think if you''re gonna make a game capable of making people cry, you oughtta make it capable of making them laugh or feel anger (at someone in the game, not at dying for the umpteenth time ) or actually be afraid. You can''t just have one emotion through the whole entire thing, or eventually whenever the player sees a story sequence they''ll be like "ok this is the place where I''m supposed to cry, blah blah, stupid designers". You''d need to mix it up a bit so they wouldn''t know WHAT to expect, and thus when they felt an emotion, it''d be more real. Why do you think even in a horror story there''s places that invite you to feel something other than fear? Because it''s impossible to strongly feel any one emotion for extended periods of time. And feeling one emotion is stronger when it follows right after an opposite emotion. So I think your question is not how do we make people cry, but how do we make people care enough about the stuff happening in this game to feel *anything* about it.

If a squirrel is chasing you, drop your nuts and run.
If a squirrel is chasing you, drop your nuts and run.
I cried when I couldn''t save Meryl and she died in my arms atop Metal Gear Rex

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net
relly....wow...!
but it is funny enough....!!!

hey where is the ideas to build game that making player crying?
Uray L. Meiviar
The ability to invoke emotion in the audience rest entirly on your ability to tell a story. The quality of the writing as well as its presentaion will determine wether or not the player because emotionally involed and ingrossed in the story.

If you want a game that did this at least for me it would be silent hill 1 and 2 they where scary games. I remeber play silent hill 2 one night with lights off and all of a sudden icq went "oh oh" and I nearly jumped out of my seat.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement